U-46 bring our librarians back full time!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition U-46 bring our librarians back full time! .

Shannon Potenzo

#101 This is important!

2011-02-11 17:51

We need to staff libraries full time in order for our kids to get the education we are paying for. I wish the goverment would stop cutting our schools education. This is a big problem, especially in IL.
Michele Turner

#102 bring back our librarians full time

2011-02-11 20:23

I agree with this petition, my child has had the same books since christmas break. I sent his books back this week and they are still in his backpack. This is truly sad.
Leslie Buss

#103 Librarian Petition

2011-02-12 01:53

I'm all for the subject of restoring Librarians to U-46 schools! However, internet petitions alone are little more than symbolic. What are the intentions of the organizer(s) of this petition to bring it to the School Board & Superintendant?
Kristi Wilder

2011-02-14 03:17

Bring back our librarians. Our kids are the ones that are suffering.

#105 Re: Librarian Petition

2011-02-14 04:48

#103: Leslie Buss - Librarian Petition

Yes, it will be brought to the school board and to the state reps.

Tired of the whining

#106 lots of demands

2011-02-14 19:40

The state is 16 million behind in paying.
The district has to make cuts. Full time
library paras are a luxury, not a necessity. There are lots of ways to get
the kids books and read to them. How about parents stepping in! What a NOVEL idea!
(No pun intended). Older siblings reading to younger ones? Parents/high schoolers, etc. starting reading groups at local libraries. Lots of options. Step up and do it!
Walking the walk

#107 Re: lots of demands

2011-02-14 20:29

#106: Tired of the whining - lots of demands 

Dear "Tired of Whining",

What a great idea...I put you in charge of organizing all of these wonderful plans. Go ahead and organize all of the parents who are working 2 jobs, the older siblings that are unable to obtain the resources they need to do their own work, get those reading groups started and any other great thought you may have! In the meantime a awesome space filled with wonderful resources and tons of books to spark students imaginations (paid for by your tax dollars), the public school library, sits dark every other week.

You can talk the talk...can you walk the walk?

Dianne Fitzgibbon

#108 U-46 bring our librarians back full time!

2011-02-15 00:04

Our kids need to be able to go to the school Library weekly!
Nadine Torino

#109 Bring back the librarians

2011-02-15 03:07

Don't take away Carrie Westermann!

#110 Re: lots of demands

2011-02-16 01:44

#106: Tired of the whining - lots of demands

Dear Tired of the whining,

U-46 is WAY more in dept than the 16 million the state owes yet they seem to have enough money to hire 5 administrators and hire a company to do this Destination 2015 nonsense just to tell them that 50% of first graders aren't reading at a first grade level and it should be fixed. Hello? Are you going to tell me that NONE of the administrators realized this and they had to pay a company to tell them?? They managed to find the funding for that.

Your ideas are not realistic for most people. I DO help in the library but I am extremely lucky to be able to stay home giving me the time to help unlike many parents who work full time. U-46 needs to live within the means of their budget just like every hardworking family does. Stop spending taxpayer money on nonsense and spend it on what's important to the education of our children!

#111 Re: How to fund library position

2011-02-19 03:59

#90: Barbara - How to fund library position

Actually, if Supt. Torres' pay were cut in half, giving $115,000 back to the District, you could then re-hire approximately 4 elementary library paraeducators back.  After 8 years with the Dist., I am one of the RIF'd library paras and I was only making $23,000/year.

I'm sure you can guess how I feel about how much money Administrators are paid!!

Debbie Litgen

#112 literacy

2011-02-20 14:36

Literacy is so important to our students. How can they get what they need , without access to books daily?
Mom of Three

#113 Not Just Books

2011-02-21 20:12

I know how important it is for kids to have lots of opportunities to read-- I have two readers and one kid who doesn't read much at all! But the library issue is more than just putting letting kids check out more books. It is about putting kids with staff people who know books and kids! My son was not a reader in elementary school. I was at a school event, and the librarian said "I know your son isn't reading his library books. Help me to figure out what he would like better." They made a harry potter connection and he read more when she gave him books. The high school librarian, I think is a teacher and she proof-read my daughter's papers and gave her assignments where she had to prove why her internet web was good to learn from. She always had a book from the library. Anybody can just check out books, but these people do way more than that. I don't think this is a Disney dream to expect the district to offer this kind of help to kids, especially if we want them to read.
Jeff Schultz

2011-02-26 04:47

At a time when more and more emphasis emphasis is being placed on reading through standardized testing, we need to bring back full time access to reading materials. Too often parents are unable to get their children to the public library when they need books to read.
vibenvecY

#115 Fersciewbew Mobobjealge GreerCleara 104946

2013-06-03 08:34

bismmaitima bismmaitima bismmaitima bismmaitima
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This post has been removed by the site administrator (Show details)

2013-10-08 17:36

2013-10-08 22:11

2013-10-09 21:07

2013-10-10 05:15

2013-10-11 19:47

2013-10-12 04:58

2013-10-13 14:07

2013-10-13 15:19

2013-10-14 02:42

2013-10-16 14:45