Keep Coach Scott

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep Coach Scott.

2015-03-27 20:46

I have known Tron Scott for over a decade as a coach, substitute teacher, and neighbor, and I have no doubt in my mind that any efforts to challenge any of his players were strictly for the purpose of bettering his players. Keep Coach Scott!
NP Grad

#2 Re:

2015-03-28 17:11

#1: -  

I graduated from North Polk but live in another district. When we play NP, I am embarrassed by the way Tron acts on the sidelines. People know I graduated from NP and will make comments to me about the way he acts. 

#3 Re: Re:

2015-03-28 17:38

#2: NP Grad - Re:  

How so?  What about his actions embarrass you?

2015-03-28 18:30

Tron has a huge passion for basketball.  I believe he is the one responsible for starting the youth basketball program that North Polk now has.  My husband has helped work with some of the players in the past and our family has gone to numerous North Polk games (My kids do not attend North Polk) to show our support.  I have never seen him act in a manner that is unfit for a coach.  I read a comment somewhere that said Tron needed to stop treating the players like he does his own kids.  Actually, that is exactly how I would want him to treat my children.  He pushes his children to do their best, he teaches them to respect authority, work hard, and with that comes rewards in life.  He also loves and adores his children.  I have 4 children in various youth sports.  We have had coaches that are kind and just want the kids to have fun and then we have had coaches that actually expect our kids to work hard and give it their all.  There were times when my kids didn't think the sport was so fun anymore because of what they were expected to do or because their coach got after them, but in the end my children were challenged and as a result grew because of it.  Tron only pushes because he knows some of those kids can do and be more.  

NP Grad

#5 Re: Re: Re:

2015-03-28 18:34

#3: - Re: Re:  

He berates his players and officials. He glares at other team's players and coaches. I also saw him throwing an absolute fit in the hallway by the locker room once that  was not appropriate. 

NP Grad

#6 Re:

2015-03-28 18:39

#4: -  

How do you know you want Tron to treat kids like he treats his? Do you know how he treats his kids or wife? 

My kids are challenged by their coaches too but not in an abusive way. 

I know the people involved and that is all I am going to say. I see the names who signed the petition. They are signing because they went to school with Tron and I am pretty confident many have not seen him at practice or games. 

People shouldn't sign to support something if they don't know what happens in practices and games. 

When I saw the story in the DM Register, I was absolutely not surprised one bit. 

#7 Re: Re:

2015-03-28 18:48

#6: NP Grad - Re:  

I actually do know how he treats his wife and kids.....  He is one of my husbands best friends.  His wife is one of my best friends.  His son is one of my sons best friends.  My daughter is good friends with his daughters.  So, yes.... I do know how he treats his wife and kids.  If you knew his family then you would know that he adores them.

As I stated in my post, my husband has actually helped him with practices and we have attended numerous games.  I signed it because we do know what goes on, we know him and we support him.  

NP Grad

#8 Re: Re: Re:

2015-03-28 18:51

#7: - Re: Re:  

I know the family. Both sides of the family for many, many, many years. That is all I am going to say because this is about his coaching. 

NP Grad

2015-03-28 18:53

I would have to say that people should question the attrition rate. 

#10 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2015-03-28 18:58

#8: NP Grad - Re: Re: Re:  

I agree it's about coaching.  I'm not the one who questioned you.  You questioned me.  You questioned if I knew anything.  You made a remark that insinuated I didn't know what happened at practices and games.  With what we have seen at the practices and games, we support Tron Scott.  

NP Grad

2015-03-28 19:12

How is he teaching them to respect authority when he is arguing with the officials much of the game? Or making snide remarks about the other team's coaches and players? 

Wasn't he dismissed as the coach several years ago? 

I think it would be in the best interest of the North Polk boys' basketball program to start anew with a different leader. 

#12 Re: Re:

2015-03-28 19:20

#6: NP Grad - Re:  

Did I sign this because I went to school with Tron? Yes, I indeed did. Did I sign it without watching a single practice or game? Indeed, guilty as charged. But that doesn't mean I signed it without knowledge. I know several basketball coaches across the state of Iowa. Tron's reputation as a basketball coach speaks for itself. Coaches are quick to say he puts a quality product on the floor year after year. He does so by doing things the right way. Coaches point out how well he teaches the game of basketball, and how obvious it is that he cares for his players. So  in fact I maybe do know more than most in this situation. Any of us that has ever decided to take on the role as a coach in any sport understands we do so with the knowledge that there will be parents that will not be happy with decisions we make.  Coaching at the high school level is not done for the money, it is done for the love of student-athletes, for the love of the game, and for the love of the school and community (in this case his alma-mater). It is ridiculous for anyone to think that any of these things printed in the DMR article have any merit at all. I stand behind Coach Tron Scott 100%. 

B.Knight '89

2015-03-28 20:36

I support the parents who brought this to the board. The DMR story has a great deal of merit. It is much more than 'decisions' coaches make.

2015-03-28 21:26

We need more coaches like this. Kids have it too easy at home. Parents don't push their kids hard enough which is why they melt in practice when the going gets tough.
Common sense

2015-03-28 22:10

It is apparent that there is an overwhelming majority in support of Tron.  So, parents who disapprove, either incite specific examples where his actions caused harm to a student or move on.  Stating examples such as Tron was frustrated with a referee or made an expression you didn't like is ridiculous.  This is high school basketball and not elementary.  If you believe Tron to be too harsh or irrational as a coach, you mustn't be familiar with the role.  

2015-03-29 02:09

I have walk beside this man. Talk to him and he has given me advice about the sports I did, he made me better. I have been to some of the games he coached at and I never once saw him choose special people he is fair.

2015-03-29 02:25

As a former player for Mr. Scott, I feel he helped me not only develop as a basketball player, but as a better person.  I believe that is the purpose of high school athletics.  Allowing young people to develop the skills that they will ultilize later in life to be successful.

Mr. Scott instilled in all of us that playing basketball was a privilege, and that you should be grateful for every day that you are able to play the wonderful game of basketball.  Parents don't often get to see that side of him.  They take what they see on the sideline, and let that completely define who Mr. Scott is as a person and coach.  His 'berating' of officials is part of his job.  If you think high school basketball officials are beyond rebuke, you don't know high school basketball.  He always made it clear we were never to voice our displeasure with the officials.  We were supposed to focus on what we could control, which was how we played.

Mr. Scott's passion for basketball may be off putting for people who don't know him personally, because he is an intense person.  For those young people who haven't experienced that kind of drive and desire before playing for him, may misconstrue his actions as bullying.  I am glad he didn't sugar coat his expectations for myself and my teammates.  Life doesn't sugar coat much.  And parents who think he is too tough on players, or that he bullies and intimidates them, are only hearing one side of the story.  For every time he got on our case, there was point at which he made sure we were alright, and that we understood why he was upset with us.  He helped me learn how to deal with adversity, and that pouting or sulking when something doesn't go your way, gets you absolutely nowhere in life.  Some kids need that, because they sure aren't getting it at home.

I am glad to see there are many more people signing the petition to keep Mr. Scott, than signing the one calling for his firing.  They can see past all these vague accusations and generalizing his behavior.  Unfortunately, the internet allows anonymity to people to make these claims, and it disgusts me.  If you want to deride Mr. Scott, go ahead.  But be specific, provide evidence, and stand by your statement.  Otherwise keep it to yourself. 

SJB '08

#18 Re:

2015-03-29 02:55

#17: -  

Nicely said!!

2015-03-29 03:03

I grew up with Tron, he is a good man and has a love for basketball. He is not a bully. I support Tron!

#20 Re:

2015-03-29 03:06

#21 Re: Re: Re:

2015-03-29 03:08

#22 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2015-03-29 03:14

#21: - Re: Re: Re:  

Why is that?  Because I do not have a child that has played for him means I can't speak on the things I know from basketball coaches I have talked to about this situation? I am not allowed to draw upon my own experiences as a high school head coach of 17 years? Until you can prove any of the allegations made that thus far remain without merit or for that matter consideration, I firmly continue to say that if I had a son I would have absolutely no problem with him playing for Tron. And I will continue to actually put my name in my posts, as I have no need to remain anonymous. 

And yes I also realize your post was not directed at me at all (not having a child that played for him). The people that write the negative posts that fail to put a name on the end of it should indeed go elsewhere to flex their internet muscles. 

B.Knight

#23 Re:

2015-03-29 03:27

2015-03-29 04:06

Cause he's a great person

2015-04-01 17:51

I had the privilege of playing for Tron when he was the assistant to Jack Christensen. Tron was extremely demanding, was very detail oriented, and always expected your best effort. The demands and expectations required of me as a high school student are the exact reasons why I was able to compete in college athletics, earn a degree, earn a Masters degree, get a job, keep a job and start a family. I can all but guarantee that my life would not be the same if everything was easy and sugar coated.
I only wish more young adults had the chance to be taught life lessons via the game of basketball. The world might be a better place.

Chad Pearson c/o 2002