Save Our Moose

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Our Moose.

2015-04-07 17:28

Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in every ones garden. I've enjoyed eating and hunting moose all my life, and I see the moose population getting smaller every year.

#27 Nl moose

2015-04-07 19:08

I'm a moose hunter and loves it in the woods. People are the problem here not the animals. What's next bears rabbits or maybe salmon.keep things simple issue more licenses in more populated areas. Reduce speed and pay attention to the highway. 

2015-04-07 19:16

We shouldn't condemn a species that cannot defend itself in place of the true issues: lack of respect for nature and the lack of policing. Increased law enforcement on our trans Canada would force people to slow down and save the lives of all.

2015-04-07 19:33

I feel if people driving on highways want fencing they should also be charged a fee for it, I know there are not as many moose as they say there are and disagree with the increases, I also disagree with a hike in licence charges if only hunters are charged, it is the hunter who helps weed out the moose and everyone else gets off scot free, injustice is what it is, if one person pays they should all pay, I don't think because Eugene nippard is the big mouth in this matter makes him the God on the subject

2015-04-07 21:54

I believe that the reason the number of moose-vehicle accidents has increased is due to urban sprawl. There are a LOT more drivers on the road DAILY and YEAR-ROUBD than ever before. A lot of these drivers are also commuters which, during daylight savings time, leads to a lot of km's during dawn, dusk, and darkness.

In addition, as an avid moose hunter, i've personally noticed the decline in moose sightings in the last 10 years. I recall the success rate in area 5 being in the 80%'s. For 2013-2014, after the number of licenses in the area was increased, the rate is now 65%. The moose population can only manage a certain number of licenses. Increasing the number to decrease the population is not the answer, the success rate drops.

In my personal opinion, the way to decrease the number of MVA is to erect fencing in the high risk areas. I do not necessarily support this, but i'm not against it, and i believe it is a much better solution than trying to wipe out the moose population.

2015-04-07 22:09

To see if we can get the moose back to where they were . to many license in area 14 for such a small area

#32 Re:

2015-04-07 22:14

#10: -  

My thoughts exactly. If people would slow down especially at night, a lot of those accidents could be avoided. Its not that there's too many moose on our highways at night or at dusk, its too many idiots driving too fast to react when they see a moose in their headlights. Moose are not the problem, people are the problem. Pay attention while driving especially at night and in the wee hours of the morning and evening.

2015-04-07 22:38

More mismanagement from our Government. Moose is a resource that took years to build in NL but is slowly being destroyed. It's too late when their gone. If people don't speak up we will lose this valuable resource. Coyotes are killing the calves, when the mature animal's are culled, the population will suffer. The real problem is speeding, texting, etc!

2015-04-07 23:08

The people need to speak out against this slaughter .

2015-04-07 23:08

I'm a transplanted Newfoundlander who still go to nl for a yearly hunt, in the past 5 years I have seen a major decline in the moose population. The government needs to do a recount, it's sad when a life is lost due to a moose vehicle collision people need to slow down at night.

2015-04-07 23:25

I signed this petition cause I have seen the decrease in moose population in the past few years.

2015-04-07 23:40

It's a shame people speed and get hurt if they would slow down they mite see what's ahead, I drive tractor trailer and in night time people's speed is a big factor.
Thanks Mark

2015-04-07 23:46

I just typed a lengthy commentary on your FB site.
Feel free to make it as public as you want.
Thank you...

2015-04-07 23:47

Save our animals.

2015-04-08 00:19

moose dont kill people ,,excessive speed and texting will do it though

2015-04-08 00:52

There's no moose in nfld now 

2015-04-08 01:19

It is true...a lot of moose vehicle accidents sure can be avoided IF motorists would only keep to the posted limits... In areas more frequented by moose it's just simple common sense to maybe even drop our speed a little below the posted limit especially at dusk and after dark... We as humans are supposedly intelligent beings but we sure don't act it in a lot of these cases where we are tearing off out the highway with no regard for our own safety... Then the animal gets the blame...

2015-04-08 01:43

I've been hunting moose for the pass 30 years and have been working in the woods for the pass 20 . The last couple of years I have notice a great decrease in our moose population I when fr seeing 3o moose aday 14 years ago to seeing one or two every couple of weeks in the pass 2 years in the gander area . Our moose population is in serious trouble . But yet the like years ago the gov wouldn't listen to the fisherman and now there not listing to the hunters . I feel it's only a matter time and out moose will be like the caribou in the big land something as to be done and done soon. SPORTSMAN . Sportsman protecting our right too save moose around newfoundland . It's time to come toghter as sportsman and speak up .

2015-04-08 11:30

to save moose

2015-04-08 16:50

I have been a hunter for many years and have always got my moose when I got a licence to harvest one but this year I never got the chance because I never seen one and I hunt a lot.there aren't as many pose as they say on the island anymore maybe the people should slow down while driving at night

2015-04-08 21:37

I have been traveling the highway here in Newfoundland for the last 10 years and I haven't seen no more than 6 or 8 moose in all that time.

2015-04-09 01:59

I am a moose hunter and want moose around for my grandchildren to enjoy. Moose are not as plentiful in our cabin area, which is 29 as they were 15 years ago.

2015-04-09 02:40

Because I'm a hunter!

2015-04-09 02:45

To save moose!!

2015-04-09 09:34

I ,enjoy moose hunting,all moose accident are human error,I've travel the hi way for years going to work and I travel at night ,just to see the moose