Concerned residents of Providence Road Marietta GA

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Concerned residents of Providence Road Marietta GA.

Roderick Kaye

#1 Wellstar Project/Providence Rd Area

2011-03-07 05:54

Thank you for making this online petition available to sign.
Cynthia Ottinger

#2 Providence Road Traffic

2011-03-07 12:58

The addition of Wellstar or any other business along Providence Road would add to the traffice that is already very heavy in the morning and afternooon due to the schools. Please take this into account before approving any additional construction. I understand the traffic study was done during Thanksgiving week. Who authorized that?
John Griner

#3 Welstar

2011-03-07 15:52

This seems like some shady deal that JR Ewing would have brokered on Dallas. What started out as a small venture has turned into a huge colossal impedance of local citizens? It truly looks like there may be kick backs and under the table deals being dealt. In today’s environment of transparency it seems odd that this could take place. Accountability!!!!!
Michael Wray

#4 This impacts everyone who commutes East Cobb park in 120

2011-03-07 16:04

This development is entirely inconsistent with existing commercial development along Roswell Rd / 120. The largest existing commercial properties within miles of this location are only 3 stories, located at Indian Hills and 120. This development proposal appears to be 2 to 4 times these existing properties.
This is an abuse of Georgia law to go to the Hospital Authority to trump our elected officials responsibility to provide responsible zoning and development guidance.

I hope and pray that Wellstar will reconsider this proposal and make a decision that will make them welcomed in our community.
ernest johnson

#5 Wellstar on Providence Road and Roswell Rd

2011-03-07 16:07

This area will not support this high density construction. What started as a reasonable facility has now become an impossible development. This particular area cannot support the traffic and congestion this proposed "increased size" facility will bring. This is classic bait and switch politics. It will create a huge burden on the surrounding neighborhoods. Their will be a large penalty to pay for any local politicians who support it.
D.Campione

#6 wellstar on providence road and roswell rd

2011-03-07 16:15

this such project will only add to the amount of accidents,deaths on providence rd.Has any of our politicians looked in this matter.It seems that our politicians are only interested to giving in to large corporations these days.

#7 Hospital Authority

2011-03-07 16:36

Please make available the names and contact information for the members of the Hospital Authority. The county commissioners do not have authority over zoning for this project. While they need to be held accountable, the hospital authority members also need to be approached directly:

Hospital Authority of Cobb County

Authorization: Authorized in 1962 under Ga. Code Ann. Section 99-1503 (now known as Section 31-7-72). BOC minutes of August 7, 1962.

Description: Consists of not less than five (5) nor more than nine (9) members to be appointed by the governing body of the County (BOC). After initially staggered terms, terms are for six (6) years. Appointments to unexpired terms are made for the term balance. The Cobb Hospital Authority submits a list of three (3) names to the BOC for their consideration and the BOC must select one of the three persons named in said list. Members shall be residents of Cobb County. Members select their own officers and receive no compensation but may be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the performance of their duties or, in the alternative, the members may elect to be reimbursed for expenses on a per diem basis not to exceed $100.00 per meeting and a total of $100.00 per month. Functions and powers of the hospital authority are listed in Ga. Code Section 31-7-75.

Board Members:
Dr. Thomas E. Gearhard - (Austell MD)
Nancy Arnold (Powder Springs councilmember)
Ken Nix (Cobb County Judge)
Michael D. Goodman (Personal injury attorney)
Donnie Newsom (chairman of Wellstar’s Cobb Regional Health Board)
Steve Wilson (member of Wellstar’s Cobb Regional Health Board)
James (Jim) L. Coxwell,Sr. (banker, real estate investor and entrepreneur)
Wallace Coopwood (President South Cobb Foundation)
Pete Wood (possible Smyrna councilman ? not a lot of info out there)

Contact Information:
Laura Chollet
(770) 792-5032
Wellstar Health System
805 Sandy Plains Road
Marietta, GA 30066

Following is a land/traffic use study done on the main Wellstar campus in Marietta. We need to see a similar study done for this project. http://www.mariettaga.gov/departments/devsvcs/planzone/docs/KennestoneActionPlan.pdf
Isabelle Carver

#8 Wellstar

2011-03-07 16:48

We do not want our neighborhood invaded by a huge healthcare development. Our area has been zoned for one story buildings and small businesses. East Cobb and especially East Side Elementary cannot handle the amount of traffic congestion that a large healthcare development would create. Sincerely,

#9 Re: Hospital Authority

2011-03-07 17:00

#7: - Hospital Authority 

Thank you very much for posting this information!

Catherine Gottemaker

#10 Shady Dealings makes for Shady Politicians

2011-03-07 19:53

The general rule of Follow the Money usually works in American Politics. Why cant we just have someone who looks out for us. You can bet your bottom dollar that the following folks have been, in some way, compensated by Wellstar!

District 2- Bob Ott- bob.ott@cobbcounty.org 770-528-3316

District 3- JoAnn Birrell- joann.birrell@cobbcounty.org 770-528-3317

Commission Chairman- Tim Lee- tlee@cobbcounty.org 770-528-3300

I am a Providence Rd resident and have 3 children going to all 3 different schools here, Eastside, Dodgen and Walton. This area cannot handle the heavier traffic or the dangers to our children. I dont buy the "traffic pattern study" that was done during Thanksgiving break either.

I hope that an alternate decision will be made. This is our neighborhood not yours.

Lisa Chambers

#11 WellStar

2011-03-07 21:36

The traffic on Providence and Pine Rd. is so congested now that it can take me up to 40 min. to get home from when I turn onto Providence Rd. I already have to schedule my work and other oppointments around the school traffic due to me not being able to get out of my driveway. I can't immagine what the traffic will be like with this facility added.

Babbi

#12 Wellstar Must be Stopped

2011-03-07 22:37

This is an insane project and to see that Wellstar with their underhand & shady deals will be expanding the project to 700 beds and wanting to use Provedence rd.
Having ambulances 24/7 in and along Providence road and Roswell rd will bring down the property values and standards of the entire East Cobb area.
Is anyone aware that there are 3 schools along providence road. The Wellstar project must be stopped !!
Catherine Raymond

#13 Wellstar Facility On Roswell Road

2011-03-08 00:36

Trafiice is already a problem on Roswell ,going to and from Johnson Ferry and to and from the 120 Loop. In addition there are several schools both public and provate in the immediate area. As I understand this property is not zoned for this type of facility.
When I purchase my home in 1983 traffic was already a problem. Shortly after moving into my home a shopping center was built which increase the traffice on Providence Road.
While I am certain there is a need for this type of facility,this is not the area.
Virginia Pullins

#14 Providence Road Petition

2011-03-08 00:52

This is unheard of to "stuff" this many cars, offices, people, traffic, etc. in such a small area so close to private residences, schools and churches. The subject area is zones residential and should stay residential.
Molly Vaughan

2011-03-08 01:45

This building proposal not only is inappropriate for the location, but would heavily impact thousands of homeowners in the surrounding areas for the worse. This area, by intent and design, has been civilly engineered for families whose focus is on quality education, quiet and friendly neighborhoods, safety for children and active adults, in addition to the plain fact of maintaining the residential purity that this structure would destroy. This facility would be an immense degradation to our community and to the appeal that the heart of East Cobb offers.
Nancy Miller

#16 Well Star Health Center 120 & Providence Road

2011-03-08 02:10

PLEASE do not allow this Project to be built!! We have much too much traffic on Providence Road already at this time!!
Greg Crenshaw

#17 Traffice

2011-03-08 02:39

We have enough traffic issues with multiple schools in the area especially Walton. Adding this facility that continues to escalate in size and scope will turn this whole area into gridlock. This is a residental area with light retail.

#18 Re: Hospital Authority

2011-03-08 02:46

#7: - Hospital Authority 

Laura,

Do you have the mailing info or email addresses of the Board members?

Regards,

Greg

#19 Dr Gearhard

2011-03-08 02:55

Isn't working for Wellstar and being on their board of directors a conflict of interest?

Thomas E Gearhard, MD
Main Address:
1790 Mulkey Rd, Ste 8A
Austell, GA 30106
Map | Directions Phone: (770) 944-1830
Fax: (770) 739-0260For Doctors:
Update Profile
FAQ Additional Information
Specialty: Family Practice
Education: University of Florida, 1982
Hospital Affiliation: WellStar Cobb Hospital

Read more: http://www.healthline.com/doctors/family-practice-physician/thomas-gearhard/3426416#ixzz1FxtSELYL
Healthline.com - Connect to Better Health

#20 Pete Wood

2011-03-08 03:28

Charles Pete Wood BioPrint Share & Bookmark
EmailFacebookGoogleTwitterDeliciousMySpaceStumble UponDiggWindows LiveReddit.Ward 7 - first elected in 1991.Personal

•Born in Cobb County, life-long resident
•Attended Cobb County Public Schools
•1955 University of Georgia Graduate, BBA Degree
•1975 School of Banking of the South Graduate. Louisiana State University
•Married in 1960 to Lillie: two children, Marilyn, Stephen, 3 grandchildren
•Member of First Baptist Church of Smyrna
•Employed by Bank South (Formerly Fulton National), 37 years as Vice President (Retired)
Military

•Commissioned Second Lieutenant with U.S. Army from ROTC, 1955
•Active duty, Fort Eustis Virginia
•U.S. Army Command and General Staff College graduate
•Numerous command and staff positions, U.S. Army Reserve
•Retired from U.S. Army Reserve with rank of Colonel , Civic and Community Involvement
•Currently, Vice Chairman Blind and Low Vision Services is now Vision Rehabilitation Services of Georgia
•Chairman - Smyrna-based Blind and Low Vision Services 1990-1995
•Board Member - WellStar Health System 1993 – Immediate Past Chairman
•Board Member - Cobb Hospital Regional Board 1997 – Present
•Chairman - Hospital Authority of Cobb County 2001 – 2009
•Served as Chairman of Hospital Authority from 1969 – 1974 & 1990 – 1995, Board Member since 1962
•Member – Cobb Senior Services, Board of Advisors 1997 – Present
•Chairman – MUST Ministries Capital Funds Campaign 1998
•Member – Smyrna First Baptist Church, Treasurer 2000 – 2004
•Smyrna First Baptist Church – Chairman Budget and Finance Committee 1974 – 1987 & 1999 – 2000
•Member – American Legion, Smyrna Post 160
•Member – Friends of Smyrna Library
•Member – Reserve Officers Association of U.S.
•Member – Downtown Smyrna Development Authority 1989-1991
•Member – Smyrna Business Association
•Member – Veterans Memorial Association of Smyrna 1998 – Present
•Board Member – The Center for Family Resources 2003 – 2008
•Board Member – Cobb County Public Schools Education Foundation 2004 – Present, Business and Professional Affiliations and Involvement
•Chairman, Smyrna Area Council of Cobb Chamber 1995 – 1996
•Board Member, Cobb Chamber 1994 – 1996
•Cobb Chamber, Honorary Commanders Association 1993
•Chairman, Cobb Convention and Visitors Bureau 1998 – 2001; Secretary-Treasurer 1997; Board Member 1994 – 2009
•Board Member, Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau 1999
•President, Cobb Municipal Association 1998; Vice President 1997; Secretary 1996;
Member since 1991
•Chairman, Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Greater Atlanta 1989 – 1993
•Downtown Smyrna Development Authority 1989 – 1991
•Smyrna City Councilman 1991 – Present, Chairman, Finance and Administration Committee 1992 – 1996 & 2001 – Present - Chairman, Police Committee 1991 - Chairman, Human Resources Committee 1997 – 2000 - Chairman, Economic Development Committee 2000 – Present - Chairman, Parks & Recreation, Library, & Community Relations 2000 – 2001 - Also served on Public Works Committee, Fire Committee, Historic Review Committee, Community Development Committee and Veterans Memorial Committee.
•Chairman, Cobb County Economic Development Incentive Advisory Board 1993 – 1996
•Founding Trustee of Hospital Authority of Cobb County (1962) that built Cobb Hospital (now WellStar Cobb Hospital). Has served on the Hospital Authority since 1962 including 16 years as Chairman.
•Founding Trustee of Northwest Georgia Health System 1993 – Present (now WellStar Health System). Served as Finance Chairman and Member of Executive Committee, Chairman of Board WellStar Health System 2005-2008. Currently Board member and Chairman Strategic Planning Committee
•Founding Board Member of Smyrna Downtown Development Authority (1989) served until 1991 when elected to Smyrna City Council.
•Served as Chairman of the Building Committee for Smyrna First Baptist Church during a major building and renovation program 1987 – 1991
Murray Sarkin

#21 Wellstar Project

2011-03-08 03:37

We live in Provident Place and find issue with the proposed Wellstar Project. I hope to protect our neighborhood against this building cite. The changes will be detrimental to school children, traffic patterns and destroy the residential peacefulness of the area.

I urge all concerned to voice their displeasure with the proposal.
Beverly Plowman

#22 WELLSTAR HEALTH PARK

2011-03-08 05:27

I AM OPPOSED TO THIS BEING BUILT ON THIS SITE FOR SEVERAL REASONS. MAINLY TRAFFIC!! IN THE MORNING BETWEEN 7:45 AND 8:15 IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OUT OF OUR SUBDIVISION NOW (INDEPENDENCE SQUARE) BECAUSE OF WALTON TRAFFIC. ADD DODGEN TRAFFIC TO THAT AND THE DAY CARE CENTER, AND WE ALREADY HAVE OVERCROWDED ROADS. PLUS OUR HOME VALUES WILL GO WAY DOWN WITH A FACILITY OF THIS SIZE AND MAGNITUDE SO CLOSE TO US. THERE DOES NOT NEED TO BE ANY KIND OF ENTRANCE ON PROVIDENCE ROAD--
Tim Nummy

2011-03-08 15:50

I have lived in Independence Square for 16 years. During that time I have seen a tremendous increase in traffic due to growth of strip malls, housing, stores etc.Adding 6000 cars per day to an area within 2 miles of 3 schools, a major intersection of Roswell Rd and Johnson's Ferry is just unacceptable to the local residents. This is exactly the reason I left Long Island NY. Look at the current traffic between 630 am and 9 am and 4 and 6 pm. Find someplace else that is not already so congested.
William Hill

2011-03-08 17:42

Please stop Wellstar in East Cobb location as proposed.
Alyson Barbree

#25 Please do not build the Wellstar Medical Facility

2011-03-08 18:05

I live right in that area, and my children were enrolled in the Goddard School daycare off of Providence. This facility will bring with it medical care, but at too high a price. The traffic congestion on an already highly traveled road will be unbearable. In addition, there are SO many lovely residential communities in that area. Our community will suffer if this type of industrial building is permitted to be built. Please do not build.