Bid out our towns garbage contract

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Bid out our towns garbage contract.

2016-03-30 10:29

We need a cheaper rate. With my financial situation every dollar counts. Please help the town/people you serve save money.

2016-03-30 12:15

It cost to much

#3 Lowell Garbage contract

2016-03-30 18:07

The citizens of Lowell have every right to express their opinions on the Garbage contract that was renewed in 2015 without bids being put out but please remember that not all of the sitting Council here in 2016 were not on the board that put thru this item.  Two of the new town council members were not on the Town Board when this decision was made.

#4 Re: Lowell Garbage contract

2016-03-30 18:20

#3: Guest - Lowell Garbage contract 

I am fully aware of that. 

#5 My two cents

2016-03-31 03:14

I find it very wrong that people who are opposing the current garbage rates are throwing around made up numbers like they are facts.  The facts are:  

1.  Just because Schererville was able to get a certain rate doesn't mean Lowell could get that same rate.  The transfer station for the garbage is in Schererville which saves garbage company time and money.  Additionally, they are over three times as large as Lowell.  The companies know they can drop the price for larger communities and still make the profits that are needed.  They can not do this for Lowell.   Lowell would be required to pay more due to its size and simple mathematics.  So when the opponents say, "$2 times 3,500 homes times 12 months times 3 years equals blah, blah, blah", they are using faulty math to rile up the masses.  

2.  Locking in current rates (or in this case, last years rate) for three years isn't really a bad thing.  Yes, it is a gamble, but most things in life are.  When you refinance your mortgage and lock in an interest rate, you are betting that you will be saving money in the long run because the rates may go up.  Same thing with phone service, satellite tv, and most everything in the world.  Yes, the services you use may go down in price, but really, when does that ever happen?  Usually things go up in price;  that is just the world we live in.  So, the town council locked in a rate that will not go up for three years.  I am guessing if most of you were faced with the same question in your own lives (i.e...  Locking in your cell phone bill for 3 years) you would seriously give it some consideration.  Because, really, when has your cell phone service dropped in price recently?   

3.  Republic Waste is a Lowell company.  Many Lowellians shout from the rooftops, "Shop Lowell First!!!"  Now, some company dangles a dollar bill in front of you saying, "I got you a dollar" and you want to run off with a company who, as far as I know, only has one client and whose address is a PO Box in Crown Point. 

Everyone needs to relax and stop throwing baseless accusations because you have watched a few too many episodes of Law and Order.  Trust that our representatives know what they are doing.  Attend meetings and learn what is going on in your town.  But, don't let a small handful of disgruntled people give you one side of the story and assume it is Gospel.  

#6 Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 07:11

#5: Guest - My two cents

I think we need to see what's out there, we don't know because it hasn't been out for bid in 8+ years. Just like my phone and tv service I shop around for the best deal when my contract is up I usually fine a better deal. The reason I shop around is because after that contract expires my price goes up.  If not shopping in Lowell gives me more bang for my buck then unfortunately I need to go with whoever can get me the same product at a better deal. Every penny counts when your raising a family.   Let's be honest picking up garbage no matter what company you use you are still just getting a truck in front of your house dumping your trash.  Maybe with a new company I'll get less of the trash blowing around my street after they dump my can.  If after it's been sent out for bid and Republic gives us the best rate that's great! I don't care who does it.  Then we went about it the right way. what can it hurt? 

#7 Re: Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 13:12

#6: - Re: My two cents 

You said it yourself, "the reason I shop around is because after my contract expires my price goes up".  But, what if it didn't go up?   What if the company you were using and happy with said you can keep your same service at the same rate for three more years?   Wouldn't you jump on that opportunity?   My point is people are throwing around baseless accusations of corruption when there are logical reasons why things may have been done   

The truth of the matter is, you can not compare apples to apples when it comes to garbage rates.  You can not say Schererville got it cheaper so we should too. Larger communities can get it cheaper because companies can cut costs and still make profits.  They can't do that with smaller communities and Lowell is the smallest in Lake County.  We will pay more...  It is simple economics.  

Finally, if you think all garbage haulers are the same you are sorely mistaken.  I remember the last company the town used and they were horrible!   Then, you truly had garbage flying everywhere.  

Craig Earley

#8 Re: Lowell Garbage contract

2016-03-31 14:15

#3: Guest - Lowell Garbage contract 

This is a fact but every one of them on the Council NOW has the opportunity to correct this mistake. Everyone of them on the Council has the ability and the obligation to stand up for the people who put them there  and do what's in the best interest of the residents not whoever is benefiting from snuggling up with Republic.

#9 Re: Re: Lowell Garbage contract

2016-03-31 14:31

#8: Craig Earley - Re: Lowell Garbage contract 

There is that baseless allegation I was talking about.   

Craig Earley

#10 Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 14:37

#5: Guest - My two cents 

They're not made up numbers that have been offered as example of what Lowell could save. They are in one case numbers and prices from a company that would love to bid if allowed. Fact- There are 3400 paying residents in Lowell. Fact- There could be a savings by accepting such an offer. Fact- If that savings is $2.00 a mo. per household times three years it's a LOT of money. The issue here is not who picks up your garbage. Fact- Republic could be allowed to bid right along with anyone else. In Schererville Republic retained the contract they tried to extend and did it by dropping their own rate by over a buck and a half. The issue here is Lowell Town Coucil wont even try to see if Republic or Any Service can Save us money. That's the Issue Mr. Parker. 

Craig Earley

#11 Re: Re: Re: Lowell Garbage contract

2016-03-31 14:41

#9: Guest - Re: Re: Lowell Garbage contract 

Baseless allegation that our Council cannot get out of a garbage contract? Baseless allegation that our Council is in place to work in the best interest of it's community? I don't think so. 

Craig Earley

#12 Re: Re: Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 15:06

#7: Guest - Re: Re: My two cents 

If the facts you make in this comment are true then the only test is to put this contract out to bid. No one in this  "small group" is saying Republic can't bid right along with anyone else. You "can" compare us to other communities. Competitive bidding of this contract would certainly tell us if you're right in what you claim..... wouldn't it. How much would that cost Lowell? If the winning company can't preform well then out they go just like the one before Republic. The issue is not who gets the bid, it's who offers the best price. A Repsonsible Bidding Practices Ord. passed in 15 that requires Lowell to bid and accept the lowest bid in the best interest of the Town on Captital Improvement project. When having the opportunity, Why wouldn't you do the same when you make us use a garbage co. and then make us pay what you don't even try to get the best rate for?

2016-03-31 16:30

Republic has a location in Lowell but so do other large companies.  That doesn't make them a local company. 

Craig Earley

#14 Re:

2016-03-31 17:26

#13: -  

Republic owns and operates the Dump west of Lowell. It is being called a local company because your Town Council annexed the Dump into this community. They didn't approcahs us, Certain members of the Council approached them. They are a National Waste Management Co. base in Arizona. 

#15 Re: Re: Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 19:57

#7: Guest - Re: Re: My two cents 

I shop around whether my rates go up or stay the same its just being a smart shopper I think. And I never said  all garbage haulers are the same I've been around the garbage business for 20 years my husband has been in the field since he graduate HS and his employer does NOT do residential, so I am not looking to get the company he works for in just to be clear

2016-03-31 22:22

I am sure that a lower price for trash removal can be met for all of our customers in the Lowell area