Bid out our towns garbage contract

Quoted post

#6 Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 07:11

#5: Guest - My two cents

I think we need to see what's out there, we don't know because it hasn't been out for bid in 8+ years. Just like my phone and tv service I shop around for the best deal when my contract is up I usually fine a better deal. The reason I shop around is because after that contract expires my price goes up.  If not shopping in Lowell gives me more bang for my buck then unfortunately I need to go with whoever can get me the same product at a better deal. Every penny counts when your raising a family.   Let's be honest picking up garbage no matter what company you use you are still just getting a truck in front of your house dumping your trash.  Maybe with a new company I'll get less of the trash blowing around my street after they dump my can.  If after it's been sent out for bid and Republic gives us the best rate that's great! I don't care who does it.  Then we went about it the right way. what can it hurt? 

Replies

#7 Re: Re: My two cents

2016-03-31 13:12:00

#6: - Re: My two cents 

You said it yourself, "the reason I shop around is because after my contract expires my price goes up".  But, what if it didn't go up?   What if the company you were using and happy with said you can keep your same service at the same rate for three more years?   Wouldn't you jump on that opportunity?   My point is people are throwing around baseless accusations of corruption when there are logical reasons why things may have been done   

The truth of the matter is, you can not compare apples to apples when it comes to garbage rates.  You can not say Schererville got it cheaper so we should too. Larger communities can get it cheaper because companies can cut costs and still make profits.  They can't do that with smaller communities and Lowell is the smallest in Lake County.  We will pay more...  It is simple economics.  

Finally, if you think all garbage haulers are the same you are sorely mistaken.  I remember the last company the town used and they were horrible!   Then, you truly had garbage flying everywhere.