Friends of Thorpe Woodlands - petition against proposal to build 300 houses over this Wildlife Site

2016-10-01 15:37

Green space in Norwich is in short supply - the woodlands should be protected.

2016-10-01 15:46

How can this company have a name like Socially Conscious and then propose something like this? Where is the social conscience in building on a precious woodland which is a wonderful, peaceful resource for people and wildlife? Any such planning application should be declined.

2016-10-01 16:39

Thorpe Woods needs protecting - our woodlands are a precious resource which help reduce carbon emissions and provide clean air and irreplaceable ecosystems. Houses can be built in other more sustainable places, woodlands are essential to long-term sustainability. It's a no-brainer.

2016-10-01 17:43

I live locally and don't wish to seee the loss of these woodlands, especially if they are unsuitable for building new houses.

2016-10-01 18:38

My children loved these woods when they were growing up. I regularly walk there. We mustn't lose them!

2016-10-01 20:55

Because our woodlands are precious and beautiful places! There are plenty of ugly old fields you can build on! To destroy a woodland habitat, home to creatures and birds for profit is disgusting!

2016-10-01 21:07

there are masses of brown field sites that could be developed. the only reason for the development and subsequent destruction of this woodland is the greed of the owners. The whole site should be compulsory purchased for the whole community as a sustainable wildlife refuge.

2016-10-01 22:11

This petition is a brilliant way to show that local people do not want 300 houses on this Wildlife Sire!
I have campaigned endlessly to stop these wonderful woods being built on!
I have leaflet dropped, written and had letters printed in the press and helped by collecting hundreds of signatures on a petition,
I understood it was all agreed, the council was against planning and it was ruled NO DEVELOPMENT for 10 years! So what has happened?
Am I mistaken with this?
Why has it all resurfaced?
For goodness sake someone put an end to this and say when it is agreed 'no development' then that is exactly what is meant!!

2016-10-01 23:16

To protect woodland.

2016-10-02 02:28

We need trees to breathe.... there are enough unused/undeveloped brown field sites to use for housing around norfolk.

2016-10-02 07:04

This is a wildlife site and should be protected...there are brownfield sites that should be cleared and developed.

2016-10-02 07:25

As a child I spent a lot of my time playing in these woods the building project is driven purely by greed by already very wealthy individuals these houses are not needed there's already thousands being built locally let's keep some green for future generations!

2016-10-02 11:09

Does it never occur to the money makers that our natural woodlands are literally the lungs of our city? Support our birthright to breathe clean air, PLEASE

2016-10-02 13:07

I lived in Thorpe most of my childhood and these trees are the pride of Thorpe. Don't ruin this lovely village with more and more houses and it will destroy the wildlife too.

2016-10-02 14:10

I originally come from Diss and my brother is now living in the area proposed for development. I too believe that such natural woodland should be left to its own devices, rather than taken over by people with misnomers for their company title at the least (it paints a picture that is the opposite of what they are truly contemplating and is the hypocritical to say the least).

2016-10-02 16:31

I have walked these woods for many a year, and witnessed the wildlife of snake, owl and fox. I have soaked up the silence with bird song only minutes from the main road.! This is a truly beautiful place that should be protected and appreciated for all it gives to us.

2016-10-02 17:51

They are beautiful and we need trees and green spaces
Paigetheoracle

2016-10-02 18:12

Too many people, not enough wasteland

2016-10-02 21:00

Because I trust my feelings for nature and for what sort of development humanity is justified in seeking more than I trust SCC's arguments. It is unacceptable that such woodland is commercially unviable, for it it was it would mean our species has itself already become unviable. Goodness knows, we're near enough to it, without SCC pushing us over the edge.

2016-10-02 23:05

Thorpe Woodlands are an important feature of the area this side of Norwich which should be protected from such a development. The attempt to push this through is based on maximising profit which can be made from the sale of the land... not any housing need which cannot be fulfilled from other sites.
Brownfield sites should be considered wherever possible for housing, and it is immoral to destroy valuable woodland because it is an easier route to profit for the developers.

2016-10-02 23:23

The wood Is full of wildlife and their habitat will be destroyed plus people enjoy these woods. People already living around the wood like it as a backdrop to their gardens there is no need to destroy these woods there is plenty of other land to build on

2016-10-03 04:39

Leave the wildlife alone!

2016-10-03 09:33

I think the woods can do ok without houses

2016-10-03 12:36

We live on Southhill rd and use the woods daily . Every time I use the woods and enjoy the lovely surroundings and think of how few old established woods there are so close to Norwich and the amount of years it has taken to achieve this environment l think it is outrageous even to consider building houses on this land. I also feel the impact on Thorpe as one of the last few old feel suburbs of Norwich would be severe and very harmful.

2016-10-03 13:41

If this company really is "socially conscious" why not offer land to NWT or Broadland DC at current use value & allow 12 months for a funding appeal. If not perhaps company should change it's name to "Greedy Grasping Development Co" to more properly reflect its true nature.