Petition for a Traditional Calendar in Cobb County Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Traditional Calendar in Cobb County Schools.

Petition for traditional calendar (LOL!)

2012-01-12 16:43

This is a failure. The Balanced Calendar is what the people want and we will make sure that it will prevail.

2012-01-12 21:09

Really? Well I guess we'll see. Only a truly uneducated liberal would assume to know what EVERYBODY wants. Trust me, I will be rallying as many people as possible. Unfortunately, a lot of us who support a traditional calendar actually WORK and can't camp out at school board meetings. So my signature AND my money will go to support the candidates of MY choice.
replace the 4

#3 Re:

2012-01-13 01:58

#2: -

I work full time. My child has ADD. We don't travel on breaks. I want the balanced back because it was better for my child.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2012-01-13 02:04

2012-01-13 02:06

My point is that the balanced calendar is not best for all children. The first comment here said that's what the people wanted. I'm saying there is an opposing view and other families where the balanced calendar doesn't work. My children thrive on routine. To break that routine so often is much more difficult on them.
Petition for traditional calendar (LOL!)

2012-01-13 12:53

I love the fact that there's an opposing view. Democracy at it's finest! But 1100+ to 6 is kinda telling.

But first, I'm not an uneducated liberal. I just know the difference between "Everybody" and "Majority." And name calling wasn't warranted, but I can appreciate your passion. You need that sort of passion while you espouse unpopular ideas. It's great!

But here's the deal in a nutshell- vote and sign where you want to vote and sign. Spend all the money you want. But I will be supporting with my vote and money voting in board members that will actually listen to the majority of the engaged populace. And I will support with my financial contributions to replace the four candidates that failed to do so.

And Guest #5, the balanced calendar has it's inconveniences for a lot of families, but those problems can be reduced by planning. I know a few parents that struggles with that issue. But I've seen these parents actually find the breaks beneficial because they continue to keep their kids academically engaged while on break.

#7 If anyone really cared about student excellence...

2012-01-13 23:06

...you'd all be talking about year round schooling (like all those countries that are kicking our tails in test scores). But I have not seen a petition for that yet.
replace the 4

#8 Re: If anyone really cared about student excellence...

2012-01-14 01:40

#7: - If anyone really cared about student excellence...

#7 - I would be for that... but imagine the hulaballoo! Wow! Plus Six Flags would never go for it. Also for the record, I want the balanced calendar and I am far, far, far from being a liberal.

#9 Re: If anyone really cared about student excellence...

2012-01-14 04:24

#7: - If anyone really cared about student excellence... 

Don't be fooled.  That's what this "balanced calendar" nonsense is moving toward.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

#10 no need to sign this petition

2012-01-14 20:10

I think this sums up what most "voters" feel:

"What were the numbers? what was the ratio of petition-signers compared to the number of Cobb County voters? How many of those were CCSD employees? What percentage actually live in Cobb County. The survey is, and has always been flawed. We live in a county where we elect representatives who are supposed to look out for all of our interests and make the hard decisions; sometimes representative favor special interest groups that supported them. But for the most part, we elect people so minority (or Mob Rule) doesn’t happen. So, if the majority of a minority signed an unscientific survey, because the majority thought that this was a done deal, does the minority now get to set precedence for the rest of us? This is a long and tired argument and I am personally tired of seeing it. Maybe that is part of the plan too…keep on bringing it up and win by attrition? We really need to fight bigger battles such as budgets or Block Schedules."

#11 Re:

2012-01-14 22:03

#6: Petition for traditional calendar (LOL!) -

Trying writing in again the next time that a candidate that supports the 8/1 calendar wins an election (this would also be the first time a candidate supporting the Early August Start Date calendar wins an election).

#12 Wow.

2012-01-17 21:36

I see the passion on both sides. I appreciate the mother who wants a balanced calendar because it's how her child learns best. I appreciate the moms and dads who want a traditional calendar. I appreciate everyone's reasoning.

I want my children to be well educated and well equipped to thrive in a hyper-competitive world. I want all our kids to be well equipped for a rough future. I agree with post #10 regarding correct battles - is this it?

Honestly - the debate on both sides has just made my decision process regarding home schooling my kids a bit easier. The reality is that I want my children to be educated and able to "cowboy up" in the face of adversity.
I'm not sure this argument addresses my concerns.
Concerned

#13 More information please

2012-01-18 00:24

I hate the current calendar because they pushed the Xmas break back a week for the SECOND year in a row! The last day of school in December last month SHOULD have been the 16th, and next December the last day should be the 14th (or if you insist, the 19th).

But disregarding that, I cannot vote sign either petition until I know the dates involved in the balanced calendar alternative. What date is "early August"? What are the Xmas break dates? If there is a Feb. break, will there be an April break? And what would all of this do to the end-of-school-year date?

Is there an URL I can view that shows the balanced calendar?

I suppose, though, if the balanced calendar doesn't allow a two-week Xmas break, then I couldn't support it regardless of the other details.

#14 Re: #1

2012-01-20 00:44

#1: Petition for traditional calendar (LOL!) -

Yes, you are right.  The traditional calendar is a failure.  It is NOT what the people want.  Maybe just a few who can not deal with change.  If you worked in the schools, you would know hard it is for students to stay focused and on task for weeks on end.  Last year the students came back from each break refreshed and ready to learn.  After no break from Aug - Nov. and then again from Jan.-April, the students were off the chain!  Get Real!!!

#15 Re: Re: #1

2012-01-20 01:23

#14: - Re: #1 

yawn

#16 #14

2012-01-20 01:49

#15: - Re: Re: #1

Yep, that's exactly what the students do in class without a break!

#17 Re: #14

2012-01-20 17:32

#18 Re: Re: #1

2012-01-22 01:17

#14: - Re: #1

Good lord, do you think you could whine some more?

The poor poor poor cobb county students, burdened by the big bad mean calendar, used by the rest of the country without any real issues.   Poor poor cobb students, struggling to stay focused.  Sigh,  why won't ANYONE listen to us??????????

Why oh why?

2012-02-11 19:10

Love the traditional calendar. But I actually work with my kids during the summer, so they don't fall behind. So sick of parents wanting to throw their kids in the public school system year round. I for one do NOT want the government responsible for my kids year round. Thank God for summers! I took two of my children out of public and placed in private! What a difference. After kindergarten, my third will be placed in private. This is in place for the at risk kids who don't have parents who care enough to work with them during the summer.
But nonetheless, GA has approved the online k-12 at home program... Finally! And that's just what I'll do if my child is exposed to this year round, government owned, system!