Save Currier Park

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Currier Park.

2013-08-29 15:38

I live off Curran Rd and it is already a difficult task to get out to Broad St!! We have the trains to contend with, and the BV Charter on Broad st at St Patricks (also the one-way on Church St) which ties up Broad st already, as well as the Fatima site. This is wrong! The Mayor should not be able to bully his way through this issue! Thank you for starting this petition.

#2 Change.

2013-08-29 16:07

I'm not sure what the Mayor's fixation is with selling off town owned property - or wanting to clear cut 50 acres of the Monastery (vote no on the saftey complex) , with no real thought behind it - other than he wants to. He says he is running for Lt. Governor, good please leave - it's time for change.

2013-08-29 20:48

let the mayor buy the fair property on jones st thats perfect area keep negotiating with joe ameral pay the extra don't be so damn cheap mayor mckee

#4 Let the kids play

2013-08-29 21:59

Cumberland received a grant of over $100,000 to revamp this playground. Where did this grant money go? A statement was made that not many Cumberland residents use this playground, which I believe to be incorrect and so what? Aren!t the majority of charter school students from CF and Pawtucket?. Why doesn't the mayor look at the vacant schools in these communities? Charter schools are corporate schools, run by corporations . That being said, the construction company in mind is a "charter company". What a racket!
smdg

#5 Think about this

2013-08-29 22:48

Lets see we're destroying open space to build a school with no parking. Then we have to buy more land $250,000, to replace the destroyed park. We'll collect absolutely nothing in taxes, even though this is why the Mayor originally proposed selling the property (wink, wink). By the way 2/3 of this school will benefit non-residents. Finally the NY Corporation that's buying it wants it zoned for business so they can flip it for a handsome profit when the charter school fad fades or is no longer profitable.

2013-08-29 23:52

Too much traffic on Broad St already.
Many restaurants & bars close to this location.
Too many schools already in this area.
Currier park should be re-organized for local children. Closest "park" is at the monastery.

2013-08-30 02:19

Has anyone also considered the sink hole in the past in this area and what effect digging this area will have on residents in this area properties? At any given time you go past this playground it has been one of the most used for the children in the area than any other local playground around

2013-08-30 17:23

So glad I left Cumberland and never looked back.
cumberland native

2013-08-30 18:11

Three schools within 1 mile of one another getting out around the same time. Traffic problems, of course, lets not be naïve. That site is not large enough to handle bus traffic as well parents picking up their children and causing major problems and frustrations to the area. Is it necessary to have a school teaching the same grades as the school as up the street???? Find a different location and bring tax dollars to the town which was the original idea.

2013-08-30 19:30

I find the entire proposal disheartening, as well as revolting. Hopefully, the residents from the southern part of town will unite to stop this proposal.

2013-08-31 13:10

The proposed use of this land is ill-conceived. In addition,the town of Cumberland does not need to divert resources from public schools to yet another charter school.

2013-08-31 18:19

I have two major concerns with the Mayor's proposal, first is the congestion on Broad Street late afternoon is bad enough this proposal will only lead to the gridlock not to mention backups into Central Falls. Secondly and more importantly in my mind, was this property purchase with federal funds for the purpose of open spaces in the first place? If so is the town liable to repay that grant money back to the federal government if we sell it for development? I must agree with one of the other writers the old Fair location on Jones Street would be ideally suited for this project.

2013-08-31 18:48

Many people in my neighborhood don't have cars. Their kids take the bus to the park or they walk. If this park is closed there will be NO parks they can access in the town as no other parks will be accessible by bus! The town is trying to sneak this past the residents of Valley Falls by not posting signs warning the public of the parks impending condemnation. Most of the residents of Valley Falls won't know this park is going to close until the day the bulldozers arrive!
Fedup

2013-09-02 13:57

Open space land should never be touched for any reason. Why are our tax dollars being  used for a charter school? Cumberland already has a very good school system paid for by the tax payers. Now I find out that 1.2 million of our tax dollars goes to the charter school, how many Cumberland students go there? It is an outrage! The charter school is a publicly funded private school, and we are being forced to pay for it.

Ready to leave town.....

2013-09-03 16:04

Mayor, just imagine for a moment....that the fire department had to go down Broad st at school dismissal time.....it would be stuck!!! in traffic (now), and imagine if the fire were at the school--how many people would be affected?!!! If the fire truck tried instead, to go down Church
St to get to the school/town hall, it could be stuck at the train junction of Titus & High Sts!!!!This is not a safe place. Look north, to the Fair property, or maybe Ann & Hope???!
We are overburdened in the "Valley" already...come and look out your office window, and think
really hard about your "constituents", or don't you care now that you are running for State office? Or, did you already seal the deal with that NY company that will build on city land and then lease the school to us?? Who came up with that idea????? Please tell us how many city children attend your charter schools?? What about supporting our already established public ones?
The fix is in?

#16 Traffic and no parking for town hall

2013-09-03 16:47

This charter school will gridlock all of Broad Street for miles in both directions when the children are dismissed from school, don't tell me that it won't happen there is already a problem at St. Pat's.
Try to get out of Mill St. to Broad at any time of day or night and there is already a problem. There is very little parking for town hall now, where will we park when a new school is built? This petition does not mean much because most of the valley residents don't know it exists. Manny how about putting in some face time to let your district know what is going on?

2013-09-03 17:31

This is not in the best interest of the Town of Cumberland.

2013-09-04 01:51

the children of this town DO USE this park- perhaps the mayor should stop by on a Saturday morning to see it in use.

2013-09-04 11:14

Enough is enough. First we wanted to sell it for the tax money, then we get the bait and switch. It is really for the Mayors' pride and joy, Charter schools. When he goes around the state with his band of nitwits and tells everyone about how we need to consolidate and regionalize, why are we starting and building another school system. Why doesn't Lincoln or Central Falls give up some taxable land or a park for this project. The icing on the cake: now we find out that whatever the land sells for needs to be reinvested into open space--so the net result to Cumberland is ZERO + traffic nightmare= another McKee failure.
NJC

#20 The Mayor works for us.

2013-09-04 11:49

I think it's time for the people of Cumberland to take back their town. This Mayor has pushed his agenda down our throats, for too long. Why should our open space suffer for his Charter school dream. The next fight on the horizon, is the Monastery and his Saftey Complex vision - stay strong and together!

2013-09-05 13:41

This is not only a bad location for this school but it the process leading up to this points is very questionable. No one will convince me that Mayor McKee did not already have this site targeted for his pet project school at the time he was saying that the Town should explore the sale and other uses of the land.

#22 Brain trust

2013-09-05 19:02

Things just keep getting more amusing. According to the Valley Breeze, the flooded 3tenths of an acre house lot on Wildwood St. could be considered as a replacement for Currier Park. What a wonderful idea!! It sits behind Dominoes Pizza and abuts the railroad tracks. A perfect location!! Maybe he should let his grandchildren play there! Please, when are you going to go away??
James

#23 Mckee = out of touch.

2013-09-06 00:57

It's time for the mayor to do the right thing, like our Governor - and go away. I've never voted for him; and my suspensions were correct, that he was out of touch...When he had the police harass and called the secret service on people, expressing their 1st amendment right to protest. What a Joke!

2013-09-06 04:46

Well it’s just another one of the (hopefully soon to be X “Mayor’s”) premeditated self-serving agenda items. Let’s journey back to his ill-conceived purchase of the Sher-le-Mon site, we all know how well that turned out, it’s now a private parking lot for the swim club…..how much did that debacle cost the taxpayers of Cumberland? Hopefully he stays focused on his run for the Lieutenant Governor’s seat which I’m sure many residents support because it will mark the end of his career in Cumberland.
James

#25 Re:

2013-09-06 14:35

#24: -

Couldn't agree more!