Save Currier Park

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Currier Park.

#26 Re: Using the Fair Land....

2013-09-10 01:31

#3: - The land has potential hazardous problems from the DUMP next door.

Concerned Valley Falls Resident and Parent

2013-09-10 17:19

Mr. Dacosta,
Shouldn't you be honest and let these people know that you were one of our councilmen that voted for the sale of this property! And now you have had a change of heart.....
Isn't it true that the revenue from the sale of this land has already been included in this fiscal years budget? Where is your plan to make up for that money? Will you be increasing our property taxes again?
I believe these questions need to be answered before signing a petition.
You have acknowledged that the park would need renovation. Where will that money come from?

#28 Re:

2013-09-10 17:21

#6: -

And where is the money going to come from to repair the park?

2013-09-10 17:23

The council approved the sale of this land, including Mr. Dacosta.

2013-09-10 17:24

The park needs work, renovation, upkeep. Where is your proposal to come up with these funds?

2013-09-10 17:25

FYI..... The owners of the fair will not sell for less then $3 mil, apparently they think they have a gold mine next to a junk yard.
Valley Falls Resident

2013-09-10 17:27

Can't remember the last time I saw children playing in that park. I would be all for the "save the park" if I saw an actual financial plan in place.
Lifelong cumberland resident who has never stepped foot in currier park.

2013-09-10 17:30

Mr. Dacosta seems as though you have flip flopped you wanted to sell the park and now you don't? Which is it? I see no transparency here. Is it that you don't BVP? Do you not want an amazing school located in valley falls that would up the property value? BVP has worked with the town and has come up with many solutions to fix the traffic problems. Is this falling on deaf ears???

#34 Keep the park, no charter school

2013-09-10 17:32

The mayor just wants to pave the way for charters schools, what about our public schools? I believe he needs to support our public schools. I don't agree with making it a charter school. It needs to stay the way it is. I agree with all the comments/concerns.

2013-09-10 17:34

Commenter guest #3 the mayor isn't buying the property! And no BVP can not build at the fair where a toxic dump is located.

2013-09-10 17:37

He does support public schoos as well as charter schools which are also public schools. The new school would be built with grant money and by people who want to build great schools in America. The lot is not going to stay the way it is. It is up for sale and Dacosta voted for it to be for sale. So if you don't get the school maybe you'll get a gas station or McDonald's or maybe mickeys valley view pub can buy it.

#37 Re: Keep the park, no charter school

2013-09-10 18:40

#34: - Keep the park, no charter school

And the $250,000 revenue from the sale of that land has already been included in the budget, which means more cuts to our public schools.....   Thanks to councilman Dacosta!!!

Valley Resident

2013-09-10 18:41

I want to see a plan in place.... The park is full of graffiti. The basketball courts are damaged. The playground is a mess and unsafe. Where are you getting the money for the repairs?

2013-09-10 19:29

I currently live in the area and can picture the problems that can occur with this. The biggest concern will be traffic. The area of the street where the school would be built already has bus stops for the public schools in our town. On top of that, traffic is already congested so much with the charter school up the road. There is already little parking as it is, which has to be used between the town hall, the local business and local residents.

2013-09-10 19:54

Bvp would be leasing a lot blocks away for its staff to park. The children also are tucked neatly at their desks by 8 not a bus in sight. They have hired a team to work out the traffic problems and that plan was laid out yesterday at the meeting there would not be extra traffic. Also you would never be stuck behind a bvp bus. They have bus depot where parents drive their children to an off street parking lot. Each bus only has about 4 stopss. So if you are behind one of their buses rest assured they will be pulling out of your way bog stopping every 50 feet.

#41 Another location

2013-09-10 22:55

Why doesn't the mayor select another place? Central Falls, Pawtucket, and Lncoln also have attending students.There' are probably funds somewhere for revitalization , the mayor and town council just have to research it. Of course, that probably wont happen. This proposal is the mayor's agenda. Many of the surrounding apartments have little or no yards. This is where these children play. It's a shame if this park falls into corporate hands! Total disregard.

2013-09-11 12:58

The park is for sale...NO ONE WANTS IT. The sale has already been budgeted for. So if you don't sell it to BVP where is the money going to come from????? US! The park is not going to be saved. BVP or not. If BVP doesn't get it. It will still sit there just as is until some other developer buys it. And in the mean time it will come out of our pockets. Great kudos Mr. Dacosta

#43 Re: Keep the park, no charter school

2013-09-11 17:18

#34: - Keep the park, no charter school

And where will the money come from to repair the park....   There is more money that the public schools will lose.

#44 Re: Another location

2013-09-11 17:21

#41: - Another location

It is not the mayors choice.   The council, including Mr. DaCosta, approved the sale of this land.   Don't be fooled, if the land isn't sold to BVP, it will be sold to someone else.   There is a contractor waiting for this deal to fall through, to buy the land and build section 8 housing.    Saving the park is not an option.   Mr. DaCosta is well aware of this and is using this petition for his own hidden agenda.

2013-09-11 17:28

#42: -

Thank you!!!!   I don't understand how anyone could possibly believe saving the park is an option.   The property is for sale.   Anyone with $250,000 can bid to buy it!

2013-09-11 17:29

Mr. DaCosta, I have tried emailing you with questions several times in the last week. I would like information as to where the money will come from in order to maintain the park. It is in need of some repairs.

2013-09-13 10:27

Funny how the Valley Breeze abandoned the residents of the Valley and did not do a story about the Monday meeting. I guess when your the only newspaper in town, you can pick the news events you will cover. I believe they are in the mayor's hip pocket. The Portuguese community as a whole should boycott the Valley Breeze.

Precisamos unir e boicotar o Breeze Vale e as empresas que os apoiam até chegarmos o respeito que nós ganhamos e merecida. Este é o nosso parque. Tome Diamond Hill e colocar a escola lá.

2013-09-13 13:22

It's disgusting! Along with the dirty politics in Cumberland- nothing should surprise the people.uIve yet to see a for sale sign on property and who came up with the idea of selling it?

2013-09-13 14:00

The town council voted and all agreed to sell the property. Dacosta was one who voted to sell. Now he changed his mind. HIDDEN AGENDA!! Someone wants to buy it. Someone else go mad at Dacosta for not telling them so they could buy it and now he's trying to play the middle.

#50 3 Cheers for the Town Council

2013-09-13 20:50

Typical politicians. Looking for a needle in a haystack is much easier than finding an honest politician. They're all in it together and it makes constituents frustrated as well as angry. Frank Geary's piece in the Valley Breeze speaks the truth and everyone knows it, those in favor of the charter, as well as those opposed. It's revolting, disgusting, appalling, and whatever derogatory adjective that comes to mind. It's just down and out dirty! Give the public credit.