Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing.

2013-10-06 08:00

As an East graduate, I had gone to the Master Singers concert and was blown away by their performance. I would say, that West has the greatest Musical Program in Wausau. I am sorry, but have we forgotten where we lie as people. Who cares what is sung? Isn't it the beauty in which the words are sang? What happened to the "do not discriminate for race, gender, RELIGION and sex" part of your clause? They are Christmas songs. I do remember two years ago, that they didn't just do all religious songs, they did classical songs too.

2013-10-06 08:54

I just moved to wausau school district from DC Everest district. It saddens me that out kids can't have a Christmas concert. My kids new school is Thomas Jefferson elementary they been there a month and already calls it a military school this just make them hate it more I wish I never moved then to the wausau school district

2013-10-06 11:27

We lived in Wausau for sixteen years, and know Phil Buch. The music was always tasteful, and has stood the test of time. Removing what is considered classic and valuable from the education of students and replacing it with "cotton candy", feel-good fluff will not make our students any more appreciative of what it took for the great composers to create their wonderful works. Wausau school board, you've made a grave mistake.

2013-10-06 11:32

I do not agree with the school's decision.

2013-10-06 11:46

We want Wausau West & elementary school to continue their holiday programs!!

2013-10-06 12:13

As a Wausau West graduate and former Master Singer, I am saddened to hear of this long standing and successful program being ended. Mr. Buch was one of a handful of teachers at Wausau West who helped shape me as a person and teach me important lessons that had nothing to do with music but about being a productive and positive human being. He expected us to work hard, be responsible and respectful and that was whether you we're in Master Singers, Concert Chorale, Men's Choir, Women's Choir, etc. We did songs, not because they were religious, but because that we're challenging and beautiful. Anyone who was in his classes knew they were a part of something unique and special. It is so sad to see this strong program attacked over content rather than merit. I hope that our voices will be heard in this matter and that the program will be back sooner than later.

#32 Re: absolutely agree with you!!

2013-10-06 12:42

#17: -  

2013-10-06 12:45

Mr. Buch and these kids put their heart and soul into this music. I think the public should be able to hear their fine work.

2013-10-06 13:14

Although I do not live in Wausau, I want the message to get out there that the decision by the Wausau school administration is totally unacceptable.

2013-10-06 13:15

I always wonder why the minority is the winner and the majority loses out in a case like this.

2013-10-06 13:15

I am a Wausau West alumi and I was shocked to hear this new policy. While I agree we need to be respectful of the beliefs of others these new standards are not the way to do it. Much of music throughout history was written with one religious belief or another in mind. Beautiful songs that teach us about who we are as humans, how we view the world, and about diverse cultures around the world. When I was in choir at West we sang traditional song but also songs in diverse languages representing various cultures and faiths. It enriched my love for music and cultures around the world. It taught me to respect and value the beliefs of others as I sang their songs and their words. Don't take that opportunity away from this group of students or any that will follow them.

2013-10-06 13:19

There is a lot of misinformation readily available to the general public, so I want to say that I do not believe in such a thing as a "War on Christmas." I don't think that people sit in boardrooms or club houses and discuss how they're going to change our nation and get rid of Christianity. But there is a disturbing social trend of apathy for, and fear or hatred of Christianity. The decision by the Wausau West school board to require a greater number of non-religious, holiday music (or to get rid of religious music altogether) at their Christmas concert is indicative of this social change. I support this petition because it's not calling for an absolute repeal of the decision: it's calling for a chance to discuss the issue in an open forum and to put the decision to a popular vote. A school board should not have the final say in an issue like this.

2013-10-06 13:20

How many more times can the human race break the heart of God? Keep believing and stay strong. We stand together and we are never alone.

2013-10-06 13:59

Students know full well that the majority of Master Singer songs are sacred when they audition.

Sacred music is far more challenging to learn and perform. Kudos to Mr. Buch for providing the challenge these youth need and WANT. Let's encourage our youth to strive to greater heights rather than limit them.

2013-10-06 14:23

I am a former Wausau West Student

#41 Thoughtful piece by an atheist who conducted religious music

2013-10-06 14:37

David Randolph says there's no such thing as religious music. Read on ...

http://ffrf.org/publications/freethought-today/item/13454-no-such-thing-as-religious-music

2013-10-06 14:40

For those of you that are offended by these concerts, please DO NOT attend and DO NOT let your children participate. Those with common sense and those that respect the majority would prefer it that way. The last time I checked, this was a free country....but because of these ridiculous decisions this is slowly changing.

2013-10-06 14:44

Viva la Master Singers!
Choose a nickname

#44 Subject

2013-10-06 14:50

As a former member of the last choir to graduate from Wausau High School. (1970), this catches my attention. I can't say what thoughts went into Lowell Larson's decisions when he chose the songs that he picked for us to sing. All I know is that I LOVED every single one and it didn't matter to me whether they intoned religion or silliness or love. They were MUSIC to my ears and the others that listened. THAT is what Wausau choirs are doing so many years later....making music. PLEASE take the politics out of this people. I think we fight about that more than enough everywhere else! Just let the studentss SING! Sincerely,  Debbie Murphy Burdick

2013-10-06 15:00

Music is history. Religion was the source of much music. Religion preserved the music. Sharing our historical culture is not teaching religion.Christmas is part of the dominant culture of this country.The music should reflect all cultures, but the religious music should be dominant.

2013-10-06 15:03

If this were the case when I was in Concert Choir at Wausau High School with Lowell Larson, we never would have been allowed to sing at all!!

2013-10-06 15:19

It's about time we speak up for things that are being taken away from our children just because someone gets a crazy idea!

2013-10-06 15:24

No one has ever had a problem with what the master singers sing at Wausau west high school. What is so different now that matters?

2013-10-06 15:31

I'm seeing people of all political and religious persuasion falling behind the support of music teacher Phil Buch.

2013-10-06 15:41

The minority is slowly turning our country away from God. We will all suffer because of this, especially our future generations. We need prayer in our schools and we need to have our young people know the importance of God in their lives.