abolish the parking regulations for commercial and rvs in kl

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition abolish the parking regulations for commercial and rvs in kl.

2014-03-22 15:35

Public should be informed when issues like this come up, instead of finding out only when the by-law is passed.

2014-03-22 16:30

Short sighted, no public debate, crazy fines, another reason to not live in this backwards town

2014-03-22 20:15

quite a few people cannot afford to pay storage fees this town is supposed to suppor fishing, hunting and camping not everyone can afford to pay
Mark

#4 This by-law is bs!!!!

2014-03-22 23:37

Are they trying to start civil unrest? What's next? we can't walk around in our own homes in our underwear? I'll be damned if you're going to tell me where I can park my boat on my property! Hey OPP, why don't you go taze another innocent bystander while he's kneeling. Losers.
concerned citizen

#5 who passed this law

2014-03-22 23:38

I'd like to know who passed this law.. anyone have info?

#6 Re: who passed this law

2014-03-23 02:47

From the Kirkland Lake town website counsel minutes

www.kirklandlake.ca

March 18, 2014
Moved by: Councillor Todd Morgan Seconded by: Councillor Tom Barker
That Bylaw 14-031 being a bylaw to amend the Town’s Zoning Bylaw: Commercial Vehicles in Residential Zones, be read a first, second and third time, enacted and passed.
Carried.

Funny thing is one of these counsellors parks a large trailer in his yard for the majority of the summer. Hmmmm maybe the bylaw officer should go knocking on his door first?!

2014-03-23 14:47

I think the town should worry about more pressing matters at hand that need to be addressed.

#8 Re: Re: who passed this law

2014-03-23 18:06

#6: Guest - Re: who passed this law

did a little bit of digging around, 411 of one of the council members that passed this bylaw gave me an address, on the same block one of the council members lives on there are 3 RV's and 3 boats.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.158432,-80.02747,3a,75y,163.28h,76.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stzarb6XN17tfC_PUYN7RVg!2e0!6m1!1e1

2014-03-23 19:07

this is a stupid by law. guess they folks at city council don't have an RVs if I bring mine home to clean it up for a trip
park it outside to wash and clean up there going to give me a ticket that's just stupid .as Forrest Gump said "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES
Mark

#10 Let's Band Together! Any Takers?

2014-03-23 20:07

I really think that this law should really only apply to commercial vehicles like Transports, not Atv's and boats etc. That's just ridiculous and I think that we should band together and go pay council a visit, anyone in?
mike

2014-03-23 20:18

what about the 1.8M fence they want you to build?? its not cheap to build a fence. any fence over 4 ft you have to get a permit from the town. its a money grab! the town has to pay back $400k in in taxes and they are in the hole $500k time to sell HHN!
Mark

#12 HHN isn't needed

2014-03-23 20:27

Hockey heritage north is definitely not a necessity but no one in their right mind would buy anything in this remote town. I can see the citizens of this town either relocating or protesting against the town. They need to focus on what they can't do right in this town, like snow removal for example. Where are the fines to the city etc that is responsible for clearing road ways? How many accidents happened around here due to poor road conditions. Mike you're right, it's nothing more than a mere money grab. But I'll be making sure that the council members responsible for this are the first to get the fine.

2014-03-23 20:48

How come the council & the ( mayor) the boss of the town approved such an idea like that without consulting the population of Kirkland Lake ? on a few complainer about the matter,, those people should have their name listed ,are they 51% of the populations here in Kirkland Lake ? (( We Fern & Pauline know some of them .
Fern & Pauline

#14 Re: Let's Band Together! Any Takers?

2014-03-23 20:52

KR

2014-03-23 21:18

What about those who drive a regular ford f150 company vehicle to get to work and back and its parked in their own driveway? youre just gonna let all the people lose jobs or make them find other means of transportation to get to work and back? yea no this is thee most stupid by-law I, and Im sure everyone else, has EVER goddamn heard of!!!!

2014-03-23 21:20

and I guess that means cops wont be driving their opp cars home either!! If we cant, they cant!

2014-03-23 22:19

Have our cottage near KL and do a lot of your shopping in town, and if the people disagree with the new by laws, then I have to side with the public, they know whats needed and what they want and after all, they are the ones that have to live there, they should be entitled to have things as they want. Remember, the governments are suppose to work for the people, not the other way round

#18 THE NEW TOWN BYLAW

2014-03-23 22:46

!!!! ATTENTION visitors ...... You are not allowed in Kirkland Lake limits. To visite people if you have an RV.
The new town BYLAW . ..."Is that promoting tourism ? What do you think ?
Fern

#19 Intolerance is unacceptable.

2014-03-24 00:11

Council boasts that they made KL snowmobile and ATV friendly. I doubt that they will announce with as much pride that they now have made KL intolerant to RVs, motor boats and commercial vehicles.
Literate

#20 Does anyone know how to read?

2014-03-24 01:45

The by-law does not abolish your rv's or even commercial equipment ion your own property. It only regulates it. It's no different than a by-law about how high you can build your fence, how many pets you are allowed to have in your house, how much noise is acceptable and at what time of day, or where you are allowed to pile the snow from your property. A mass of commercial equipment on your neighbour's lawn would negatively impact the selling power of your home. High fines are a preventative measure which saves the town and taxpayer money in the long-term as there should be less infractions and less fines. You people need to learn how to read instead of jumping to conclusions and going on a witch hunt. YOU ARE STILL ALLOWED TO HAVE YOUR RECREATIONAL VEHICLES ON YOUR PROPERTY! THE TARGETS ARE THE COMMERCIAL EQUIPMENT! How much time have YOU spent in positive support or participation in your community vs criticizing it and slamming it for not meeting the needs of your minority demographic. And again, the by-law DOES meet the needs of the recreational demographic.

#21 Re: Does anyone know how to read?

2014-03-24 03:06

#20: Literate - Does anyone know how to read?

quotes below from the news article. I can read just fine. Basically i cant park a rv in my driveway then park my car infront of my house. I also now require a fence if i park one in my own back yard. You speak of commercial vehicles. how many local business have construction trailers for their renovation business. Crema, Haskins, KPG. This will directly affect them and discourages people from moving to kirkland lake to enjoy the amazing outdoor life the area has to offer. the second quote line shows they arent done with the bylaw yet. If i hire a contractor to renovate my house will he not be able to park his trailer with his tools on my property while the work is being completed?

"not more than two commercial or recreational vehicles, must have required residential parking in addition to space taken up by commercial or recreational vehicle, commercial or recreational vehicle must be parked behind front building line, and vehicle is screened by an opaque fence having a height of no less than 1.8 metres."

"he new bylaw does not affect vehicles parked on the street but council was assured that will be addressed when the parking bylaw is tweaked as it is currently being reviewed."

Good Job

#22 Re: Does anyone know how to read?

2014-03-24 04:18

#20: Literate - Does anyone know how to read?

This is definately a good way to prove your point buddy. "Rv's"/Calling anyone illiterate is just too ironic. Please leave the internet before you accidentally let your name loose for public ridicule. 

As for the actual issue we're dealing with; if you go back and read the original post,  you might pick up the bit about a 1.8m fence that will/is required to cover your commercial and recreational vehicles. No one in their right minds will waste their time and money putting up a decent fence, and worst case ontario, I'll build a shanty fence made of tin and pallets.

#23 It just creates more fighting

2014-03-24 12:15

It could be a fair assumption to make that people interpret jacked up f350/2500HD trucks with performance exhaust are 'commercial' when in fact they are personally owned. When people who think this by law is going to save them from these loud vehicles they are going to be irate when they find out it doesn't.

My neighbour and I have had disputes about my RV in the past, but this by law does not affect me in it's current state I park it in front of my house on the street. However when the police are called because they think I'm violating the by law, I will gladly point out his assigned company vehicle is parked in his driveway forcing him to park a personal vehicle on the road(or the other way around) which the by law does affect. No one wins, this just further escalates the fighting in my situation
Choose a nickname

2014-03-24 12:41

Great... so our taxes are going up, hydro is ridiculous, buying groceries (especially healthy food) requires you to sell your first born child, & now the town wants to limit our ability to have the recreational vehicles we work hard for and commercial vehicles that are required for our jobs. If I wanted crazy ridiculous rules like this one Id move down south. Heres an idea... free building permits, and a fencing allowance for each and every home owner... sound crazy??? Well its no different than this stupid bylaw that they passed likely just to keep the new bylaw officer busy.

2014-03-24 12:45

#20:Literate , does anyone know how to read
We know how to read just fine maybe you should read it again , if it does't concern the RV why do you mentioned it ? The people who got a small lot and don't have a back yard big enough to park an RV , if the lot is more wide than deep the only place to park is on the side of the garage than what ??????
Pauline