Saving CYTO

Richard Bradshaw (Garrett)

/ #6 Saving Croydon Youth Theatre

2011-03-12 17:06

As an actor & stuntman with over 18 years of work, & credits from Titanic to Star Wars, Doubling for James Bond & Wolverine amongst others. I can honestly say that there is no way I would have embarked on my career had it not been for the confidence & belief in myself I gained at CYTO.
However CYTO is so much more than just another vehicle to bring young people into working in the Arts. It is a place where young people from South London can begin to feel able to express themselves in a safe, constructive & learning environment. Surely with the growth in crime statistics & in youth unemployment the last thing we should be doing is reducing the opportunities for youngsters in Croydon. CYTO gives those all who are part of it a sense of belonging, a sense of responsibility to others, & breeds confidence in a way I have never seen elsewhere. There is no-one telling you what you "must" do, but it is clear that if you don't turn up for rehearsal you are letting down your friends, so you always turn up. You see the crowds out there in the audience & are intimidated, but you are out there next to your friends so you hold your head up & perform. I joined CYTO as a very shy 14 year old but from my first day there I was accepted as part of the group, even by those who were nearly 10years older than me - another generation when you're that age! - & I was given respect.
I firmly believe were CYTO to close, then Croydon Council would be seriously letting down a significant number of it's young people, & denying them the potential for a future they otherwise may never have.