Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Simeon Rose

/ #99

2014-03-31 17:29

For thousands of years, thousands of people have marveled every year, as the sun has risen in line with the heel-stone of Stonehenge on the Summer Solstice.

To think that such ancient civilisations were sophisticated enough to complete such a monumental feat is something I believe we should celebrate.

And what better way to celebrate this than to allow the monument to continue performing the function it has performed for all these years?

Who are we (you!) to deprive humanity of this spectacle? The fact that we can witness what our ancestors witnessed five thousand years ago is a hugely powerful way to connect with people from the past, and this right should remain - for generations to come.

I don't profess to fully understand the purpose of Stonehenge, but I do profess to understand the profound impact it can have on people, particularly when this event occurs. It has had this effect for thousands of years already, and I'm sure that if you don't proceed with your short sighted and narrow minded plans, then it can continue to have this effect upon people for thousands of years to come.