Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill.

2014-03-31 16:23

Stonehenge has been made a World Heritage Site in recognition of its importance on a global scale. Part of this importance, in fact at the center of this importance, is its alignment to the movement of the celestial bodies, sunrises and sunsets, and without the freedom to watch that, the hole monument looses its purpose. Therefore it should be obvious, that it is in the interest of everybody to preserve the clear views from the Stones to the horizon, where such events will be visible. It is also of financial interest, as the site of these celestial events are part of what draws thousands of visitors every year, and they pay good money for the privilege and spend money in the surrounding countryside supporting the local community.

2014-03-31 16:23

stop profiteering on what is not yours! leave the Stonehenge alone!!

2014-03-31 16:27

This is the most awful case of construction 'grafiti'that I have heard. This is a site of 'Worldwide' significance to humanity's history and this building plan should surely be illegal!

2014-03-31 16:35

I am grateful to Graham Hancock for calling my attention to this petition. I did visit Stonehenge many years ago, and felt the resonance of this important historic site. I am so sad to hear that it has almost been turned into a theme park type of visit, and that people will no longer be able to feel the power of the site as they once did. It is really important that people of our era be able to enter these sites and experience the energies so that we can understand why they were created and what purpose they served. Please rethink what you are doing in denying the public access to these sacred places.

2014-03-31 16:36

This weekend I took friends visiting from Peru to see Stonehenge, Britain's most renowned ancient monument, which they were naturally very keen to see. We were stunned and horrified by what we found there. This world heritage site is managed on behalf of humanity by "English Heritage" who are clearly gripped by a bureaucratic, unimaginative mindset and who are in the process of turning the megalithic circle and its surroundings into something with about as much charm and mystery as Disneyland. Anyone who has been to Stonehenge within the last year will know that things were bad before, but they are a thousand times worse now. One must go first to the newly built visitor centre about a mile from the henge, and then be taken by shuttle bus or on a little supposedly ecologically friendly "train" drawn by Land Rover to the site where you are of course not allowed to approach the stones themselves but are kept at a distance by ropes and barriers. The theme park atmosphere induced by the shuttle bus and/or "train" ride completely destroys the mystery and creates an atmosphere in which the megaliths appear to be held captive, tamed, forced into obedience by the narrow-minded officials who have imposed their control on the site. No longer does it feel in any way that this is an English heritage or a British heritage or a world heritage monument of great mystery and spiritual power but rather that we are confronted by a beaten, destroyed, subjugated, enslaved monument castrated by the dead hand of bureaucracy. People are still able to walk in the surrounding fields half a mile or so away nearby the Neolithic long barrows and round barrows in the vicinity of Stonehenge but I have no doubt that this freedom, too, will soon be removed. Meanwhile the English Heritage organisation who are responsible for Stonehenge appear to have done little to dissuade the Ministry of Defence from building housing blocks at the exact point on the horizon where the sun at the summer solstice rises in line with the heel stone at Stonehenge. Nonetheless, if enough public opposition is registered it may still be possible to stop this silly and unnecessary housing plan (there is plenty of room to build these houses elsewhere) so please add your signature to this petition (http://www.petitions24.com/save_solstice_sunrise) which I signed this morning and which must be completed and delivered tomorrow, 1 April 2014. Meanwhile Stonehenge does remain fully open to the public on four days a year, the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes and the Winter and Summer Solstices. On the Spring Equinox 2014 my friends at Megalithomania filmed this short video at Stonehenge which addresses the Ministry of Defence housing plans and shows some of the construction work being done by English Heritage to tame the site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLQaP0E17I

2014-03-31 16:38

Please, Please conserve our greatest wonders! This is so important,
to preserve the past for the future.

2014-03-31 16:39

My God, people, this is STONEHENGE, one of the most famous archeological sites on the planet. Surely housing can be built anywhere else but the sight-line for the Solstices! Get real, here. Why do you want to screw with something that's been there for thousands of years? This is bureaucracy gone utterly mad. What are you guys thinking????????????

2014-03-31 16:42

LOVE

2014-03-31 16:43

Corporate greed is yet again destroying something that belongs to all of humans and their heritage! Please dont let them take away the freedom of walking around and on the sight. This is the sole purpose for it besides seeing the solstices. One cant feel the energy of this ancient site out of the tourist wagon!!

2014-03-31 16:46

Stonehenge is a world symbol to humanity a monument to teach us why we are truly here on earth and that all living things are one! adn that it should be celebrated and respected! Stop destroying our past so we can find our way into our furture!

2014-03-31 16:57

what are you thinking?!?!?

2014-03-31 17:01

Please. Thank you.

2014-03-31 17:03

Minestry of Defence you are not building anything anywhere near Stonehenge
flabberghasted

#89 Stonehenge

2014-03-31 17:03

If the sunrise is as important to the creators of the henge then blocking the sun's rays is surely an act of vandalism?

2014-03-31 17:05

The summer solstice alignment related to Stonehenge is far, far more vital to England, the UK, and the world than siting structures along that alignment which has been held sacred for well over 5000 years. I urge you to not allow construction and habitation to occur along the alignment. Thank you! - Paul D. Burley

2014-03-31 17:16

The establishment must prevent the truth about our ancient hstory at all costs and just about everything else for that matter.

2014-03-31 17:16

Can you imagine this being done to the Vatican, St. Pauls or Lourdes?
Don't you know that Stonehenge is the heart chakra of the planet?...your bosses know which is why they're plundering it!

2014-03-31 17:22

this is disturbing, yet not surprising.

2014-03-31 17:25

Once we lose the vista to this unique site we will never get it back. Please use common sense when implementing planning permission. This is OUR heritage and it shouldn't be sacrificed for just a few people to make a buck!

2014-03-31 17:27

Stupid, thoughtless and with total disregard for our heritage - shame on you!

2014-03-31 17:27

Obscuring the sightline of this world treasure should not be allowed to happen—Please No

2014-03-31 17:28

Free the stones from this monstrous idea that the MoD have come up with, if the public are not allowed within a certain distance then the MoD should not be allowed to build there, not even out of the Solstice sun rise line, stop it now.

2014-03-31 17:28

The RAF has been loudly and proudly proclaiming it's "Gay-friendly" new image, in bowing to social pressure. Is this cause not as worthy ?
Simeon Rose

2014-03-31 17:29

For thousands of years, thousands of people have marveled every year, as the sun has risen in line with the heel-stone of Stonehenge on the Summer Solstice.

To think that such ancient civilisations were sophisticated enough to complete such a monumental feat is something I believe we should celebrate.

And what better way to celebrate this than to allow the monument to continue performing the function it has performed for all these years?

Who are we (you!) to deprive humanity of this spectacle? The fact that we can witness what our ancestors witnessed five thousand years ago is a hugely powerful way to connect with people from the past, and this right should remain - for generations to come.

I don't profess to fully understand the purpose of Stonehenge, but I do profess to understand the profound impact it can have on people, particularly when this event occurs. It has had this effect for thousands of years already, and I'm sure that if you don't proceed with your short sighted and narrow minded plans, then it can continue to have this effect upon people for thousands of years to come.

2014-03-31 17:36

How dare they? Foolish profit-driven philistines!