Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill.

2014-03-31 17:40

respect

2014-03-31 17:43

Please do the right thing here to preserve an historic site from further disruption. We are a small blip on the time line of history , prevent this small blip on the horizon from obscuring a timeless and little understood global historic site. David Stroud

2014-03-31 17:50

Please help save our precious heritage.

2014-03-31 17:53

With the publicity surrounding Stonehenge, and its capacity to draw attention from generation to generation - which can only benefit England as a whole, great lengths should be taken to protect its pristine state, both for the connection to the past that it offers, and for the knowledge of all Ages it shares.

2014-03-31 18:07

Really? Time to push back!

2014-03-31 18:08

Listen to Graham Handcock!

2014-03-31 18:08

I can't imagine this housing plan going ahead

2014-03-31 18:25

I have read, understand and fully support this Stonehenge petition. (TAO)

2014-03-31 18:42

The Ministry of Defence should be fighting to defend that which Britain holds dear. If our history and heritage isn't considered important to them, I don't know what else should be.

2014-03-31 18:47

Save the Pi π

2014-03-31 18:50

This can not happen.

2014-03-31 18:50

I have never been to Stonehenge, someday i intend to visit and i don't want these important factors about the megalithic site ruined by poor planning and money hungry developers.

2014-03-31 18:51

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER

2014-03-31 18:57

What is it about our policymakers that makes them want to destroy our heritage? I suspect its because they mainly emanate from London, where they live blinkered lives away from the rest of the population. For heavens sake, RESPECT OUR COUNTRY AND OUR HERITAGE before it's utterly desecrated and destroyed by commercial greed and misguided authoritarian policies.

2014-03-31 19:09

Stonehenge belongs to the public, it is part of earth's long billion history that no man has the right to restrict.

2014-03-31 19:17

I cannot believe that such a plan is even bring envisaged!

2014-03-31 19:19

stop destroying our ancient culture and history

2014-03-31 19:20

What a disappointment it would be to travel all the way to this historic site to be greeted by the same majesty one would find at their local theme park.

2014-03-31 19:21

Unbelievable stupidity to even consider buildings anywhere near the light-paths to Stonehenge. This rates with the Talibans' destruction of the ancient Bhuddas !!

2014-03-31 19:23

Not against the Army building houses at all, but some sights are just worth saving. Sunrise over Stonehenge on the summer solstice is one of those!
megan

2014-03-31 19:23

Graham Hancock via lists.grahamhancock.com
10:09 AM (4 hours ago)

This weekend I took friends visiting from Peru to see Stonehenge, Britain's most renowned ancient monument, which they were naturally very keen to see. We were stunned and horrified by what we found there. This world heritage site is managed on behalf of humanity by "English Heritage" who are clearly gripped by a bureaucratic, unimaginative mindset and who are in the process of turning the megalithic circle and its surroundings into something with about as much charm and mystery as Disneyland. Anyone who has been to Stonehenge within the last year will know that things were bad before, but they are a thousand times worse now. One must go first to the newly built visitor centre about a mile from the henge, and then be taken by shuttle bus or on a little supposedly ecologically friendly "train" drawn by Land Rover to the site where you are of course not allowed to approach the stones themselves but are kept at a distance by ropes and barriers. The theme park atmosphere induced by the shuttle bus and/or "train" ride completely destroys the mystery and creates an atmosphere in which the megaliths appear to be held captive, tamed, forced into obedience by the narrow-minded officials who have imposed their control on the site. No longer does it feel in any way that this is an English heritage or a British heritage or a world heritage monument of great mystery and spiritual power but rather that we are confronted by a beaten, destroyed, subjugated, enslaved monument castrated by the dead hand of bureaucracy. People are still able to walk in the surrounding fields half a mile or so away nearby the Neolithic long barrows and round barrows in the vicinity of Stonehenge but I have no doubt that this freedom, too, will soon be removed. Meanwhile the English Heritage organisation who are responsible for Stonehenge appear to have done little to dissuade the Ministry of Defence from building housing blocks at the exact point on the horizon where the sun at the summer solstice rises in line with the heel stone at Stonehenge. Nonetheless, if enough public opposition is registered it may still be possible to stop this silly and unnecessary housing plan (there is plenty of room to build these houses elsewhere) so please add your signature to this petition (http://www.petitions24.com/save_solstice_sunrise) which I signed this morning and which must be completed and delivered tomorrow, 1 April 2014. Meanwhile Stonehenge does remain fully open to the public on four days a year, the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes and the Winter and Summer Solstices. On the Spring Equinox 2014 my friends at Megalithomania filmed this short video at Stonehenge which addresses the Ministry of Defence housing plans and shows some of the construction work being done by English Heritage to tame the site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLQaP0E17I

The photo attached to this status is by my friend Fernando Salmon and shows English Heritage's "Disneyland" train on its way to Stonehenge with tourists. The freedom to walk in surrounding fields near the ancient long barrows and round barrows (shown here) is likely to be removed soon. The freedom to approach the monument on the Spring and Autumn equinoxes and the Winter and Summer Solstices is, I fear, also very much under threat by the ongoing taming and controlling operation that English Heritage has embarked on.

Graham Hancock via lists.grahamhancock.com
10:09 AM (4 hours ago)

2014-03-31 19:27

How can a few buildings come before a world heritage site? Your destroying character and natural charm. It's not really hard to understand.

2014-03-31 19:39

Will your bureaucratic bungling never cease? Can't you just leave us alone? Orwell had it right.

2014-03-31 19:40

Why can't they leave well alone, our historic sites will soon be under glass. We should be allowed to touch and feel the stones as well. To block out the path of the sun on solstice is utter madness

2014-03-31 19:45

This not only reflects upon Stonehenge but denotes the incorrect attitude that prevails concerning ancient sites that all too frequently are as yet to be understood. Leave the sites intact in their entirety and that includes sightlines to the visible horizon.