Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill.

2014-03-30 06:57

C'mon guys. Don't build that building. Are you insane????

2014-03-30 08:57

I am in awe of such a plan what more do people want to take away its a blessed area and gives so much in return we have to give this thought xx

2014-03-30 13:43

Please, this is a WORLD heritage sight, it is not the property of housing, it is crazy to devalue the magic, history, beauty, spirituality..... it is one of the wonders of the world. Why do you think you have the right to belittle this amazing wonderful WORLD space?

2014-03-30 17:07

Any more "progress" and modernization affecting Stonehenge is just a Horrible Disaster and a ruining of sacred history. Please do not do this.

2014-03-30 18:33

i do support building homes for the army vets i just believe blocking the sun on an important religous site should be taken very seriously

2014-03-30 20:33

Stonehenge has 'functioned' for so long. Keep this world treasure in good form including the solstice alignment!

2014-03-31 01:59

I feel it is very important not to build along this axis particularly. Stonehenge is a sacred monument and deserves to let all of its ancient beauty continued, and that includes not blocking out the Summer Solstice sunrise before the Sun Gate.

2014-03-31 04:40

MoD needs to back off! What, they think they're Obummer, here in the United Screwupstates?Sure, lets ruin something else homourable!!!!!

2014-03-31 05:08

The open horizon, as viewed from Stonehenge, is an integral piece of the site's history and function as a landmark. To block the rising & setting suns would, simply, defeat the significance of the cultural imprint left behind by indigenous (and ingenious) peoples of Britain.
Dawn

#35 what are you thinking?

2014-03-31 05:09

The open horizon, as viewed from Stonehenge, is an integral piece of the site's history and function as a landmark. To block the rising & setting suns would, simply, defeat the significance of the cultural imprint left behind by indigenous (and ingenious) peoples of Britain.

2014-03-31 08:41

I am not a religious person and would not normally object to a plan of this nature, because rehousing soldiers is something I am VERY supportive of. I generally feel that soldiers are not properly rewarded for their efforts socially upon leaving or returning from action.
However, historically, Stonehenge has played a very important social, political and cultural gathering point for thousands of years and was built and has been maintained purposefully to display the effect of the sun through, around and on it's wider site. I do strongly feel that the proximity of ANY permanent structure within this visible perimeter would seriously undermine the site's historical development and we should respect and preserve this open space for future generations in perpetuity. Surely the housing development can be located on the other side of the village of Larkhill?

2014-03-31 10:18

to build up high and block nature and historic views is daft. With all that land and funds something more attractive and family orientated would make much more sense. Look into other more ingenious ways of creating a community not an eyesore.

2014-03-31 10:45

This is a sacred site for the UK's pagan community, it is part of our religious heritage, and the ability to see the sun rise at solstice over the heel stone is an essential part of the the summer solstice. This is part of our heritage that we will never get back should these plans go ahead, there is plenty of other land on which these houses could be built. Planning of building is supposed to be made with consideration to the knock on effect of the work on other people and the surrounding landscape.

2014-03-31 11:33

Surely no-one in their right mind or even close to it would even consider interfering with this ancient and spectacular phenomenon.

2014-03-31 11:58

What a preposterous idea! Whatever next?

2014-03-31 12:09

Mind boggling short sighted ness get a grip mod

2014-03-31 12:44

How could anyone want to do such a thing? It's part of our heritage!

2014-03-31 14:24

I think Graham Hancock's Facebook post on this matter covers all angles comprehensively.

2014-03-31 14:33

There are many places that these buildings can go. Protect our heritage and history

2014-03-31 14:35

This is a world heritage site that is being shamed and humiliated by careless and incompetent agencies unable to respect or appreciate what it represents--an important link to understanding British and human history. Please do everything you can to stop the insulting theme park treatment this icon is getting, and please prevent the construction of buildings on this site's crucial horizon. There are plenty of places elsewhere to build. If this treatment of Stonehenge continues, it will lose its importance and charm, and both it and England will lose greatly due to its ability to attract visitors each year from all over the world. To continue with the plan to treat it like a theme park attraction displays both incompetence and sheer stupidity. This site belongs to everyone!

2014-03-31 14:38

Sad that a historical site like this would be defaced for housing, there are many other locations that would not disturb the ancient site and its sole purpose. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

2014-03-31 14:39

the plans to build houses in the proposed location is an ignorant move, and is harmful to the people and researchers that care.

2014-03-31 14:47

F*** you...its our heritage!!

2014-03-31 14:50

This is absurd. Please stop the ruin of one of the most treasured megaliths on Earth. This housing project can be moved to preserve the horizon - and should be.

2014-03-31 14:59

Stop taking the magic out of everything!