Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill.

2014-03-31 19:45

already 40 years ago the site was losing it's magic & now this................what a stupid way to manage a place of cultural wealth & history.

2014-03-31 19:49

Build elsewhere dweebs

2014-03-31 19:50

This site is not for you to touch, it is sacred. It belongs to many realms and many timelines. You should not touch this space in any way. It was designed for a free access to all and it should/will stay this way.

2014-03-31 19:54

Even though I no longer live in England, where I was born, raised and educated, I am still stunned by the utter disregard, not only the historical and world renown significance of Stonehenge, but it's importance to the nation and to the world. It represents to me that which is English and a part of our history that encompasses the historical, the mythical, the mystical and indeed, the very essence of a time in which England and the people in it showed they too could do wonderful and magical things. Now, in a most terrible, indeed, a most horrible contrast, we see examples of stupidity, poor planning, commercial insanity all bundled into an idiotic commercial enterprise being portrayed by the efforts of so-called modern man.
May the spirits of a thousand generations who made England as great as she was, forgive them - for I doubt that I can. What will be the next icon to suffer? Will the sacred "White Cliffs of Dover" be painted black or Big Ben replaced by a sun dial??

2014-03-31 20:12

What is is with this government to allow this sacred ancient site to be disregarded in such a flipant manner. Then because we are hell bent on building anywhere and everywhere in the South of this country to allow Stonehenge to be further desecrated by allowing housing right where the sun rises blocking and ignoring its heritage. Disgraceful, thoughtless, and it should be all stopped right now to give Stonehenge its rightful place in our history. Think people what you are doing.

2014-03-31 20:13

It is vital to save Stonehenge from these disastrous plans it is
one of the most important sites in the world.

2014-03-31 20:23

am grateful my wife and I were able to visit Stonehenge thirty years ago, when wonderful local storey-tellers, would walk groups around the megaliths, while regaling us with heartfelt tales of this sacred astronomical wonder of the world. it breaks my heart to hear of the government plans to build in the neighbourhood disrupting the sight lines of this important Heritage site. one would imagine that the powers-that-be in charge of these high profile standing stones, would be equiped with greater imagination on how to maintain the best known prehistoric monument in Europe.

2014-03-31 20:31

Dont be so stupid. this is our heritage and even tho it threatens you leave it alone for another 3000 years. Theres not much of this once beautiful country that hasnt been blighted by profit so just leave this one alone. And while your at it stop fracking , it crossed the laws on risk to the environment . thanks Steve Ashmore

2014-03-31 20:32

This is another impending atrocity to a worldwide sacred site, I would be HORRIFIED to find out that this petition doesn't stop what is planned.

2014-03-31 20:32

Stop ruining and demystifying world Heritage sites!!!

2014-03-31 20:35

Any attempt to turn stonehenge into a tourist trap for the sake of a profit and to the limit the experience one must now pay for, is enough to sway me not to ever visit the site. I will also encourage others to boycott this travesty. I know two people who are planning to see the site and will be told of this right away. To develop houses in an attempt to obfuscate witnessing the rise of the sun on the equinox is unconscionable. This whole operation reeks of a totalitarian control of one of mankind's greatest achievements. Humanity has really taken a step backwards with this and the government ought to be held accountable for its actions or lack thereof.

2014-03-31 20:38

There is a reason why Stonehenge was built & positioned in this way. Don't you guys take heed of all the research thus far?

2014-03-31 20:40

once stonehenge becomes a thriving business enterprise they will want to privatize it so that a criminal (all bankers) banker can come along and buy it for mere pennies and then no one will ever see or hear about it again.

2014-03-31 20:56

Having visited Stonehenge twice before the fencing off etc I would have to say that these new "Disneyland" ideas are totally unsuitable for this ancient and famous site.

2014-03-31 20:58

Build them somewhere else you idiots

2014-03-31 21:01

Stonehenge is a remarkable historical site that involves a relationship with the sunrise at the solstices. Interfering with this by building obscuring structures denies the significance of the monument for the sake of unnecessary and relatively destructive development.

2014-03-31 21:15

The lunatics are now in charge.

2014-03-31 21:16

Ridiculous. Ruining a National treasure, and major tourist attraction. It's obviously that this is being done on purpose. Please stop this nonsense now!

2014-03-31 21:17

Is this true? Surely not??

2014-03-31 21:20

Please build else where and leave our heritage alone.

2014-03-31 21:20

I am sorry it came so late - already April 1st in Australia.Would have thought it was a joke but for the source of the email.

2014-03-31 21:33

Please stop this crazy idea of building military homes at such an important part of the landscape as seen from Stonehenge. Its unbelievable this would happen after years of discussion and planning so called improvements to this world heritage site.

2014-03-31 21:44

This supposed to be a treasured ancient historic site. I can understand trying to protect it but to turn it into a side show or a Disneyland project is disgusting. Then trying to interfere with the the suspected actual design of the operation of the site is blatant refusal by the powers that be to accept this site for what it is "an ancient site of importance, a remnant of ancient knowledge we still need to learn from."

2014-03-31 22:01

The housing plans are ashame

2014-03-31 22:01

This makes me sick. Build the houses elsewhere