Save RHS

/ #52 Changing one of Detroit's treasures?

2014-08-20 15:04

It is known that student participation in such departments like the fine arts and athletics is what interests college recruiters when examining students for acceptance. A well rounded student with not only brains, but something more to offer thier institution. Recruits know what Renaissance values and know what brilliant students are produced from this great school.

Renaissance is ranked the way it is for a reason. If you take away what makes it unique from the rest of Detroit Public Schools, it will become just another Detroit Public School. We need Renaissance to continue to foster the awesome students we have in the city of Detroit who are not as fortunate to attend a private school or do not have the zip code to attend a well funded public school but may have more brains than some of those students who are.

The rotating schedule is something that I've recommended to schools I've worked at because it caters to every student. If you're good in math in the morning or afternoon, you'll experience it both ways. It truly helped me not only in high school but also in college, as I knew which time of the day I'd do best in certain subjects.

As a graduate of Renaissance High School, I can say Renaissance truly challenged me, which is what I and every other bright student in a dull school needs. The challenges I faced prepared me in my career obtaining my Bachelor's degree and even currently as I am in the process of obtaining a Master's degree. Knowledge learned at Renaissance High School stays with you, from book knowledge to knowledge about things that will help you in the "real world". I thank all of my high school teachers for preparing me for success in college, work, and life. Honestly, many "top rated schools" do not provide their students with the knowledge that will allow them to be all around successful.

Renaissance is a blessing. Do not take those that make it what it is away. The youth of Detroit need more schools like Renaissance. There are enough already that are not pushing them how or where they should be.