Say no to alcohol opposite Wesley Boys' School

Concerned parent

/ #2

2014-09-01 06:36

My concern is that my boy will walk past this bar every day, as he walks to the traffic lights and walks across the road using the pedestrian crossing signals. This is the safest option - it would be unsafe walking another route - or crossing over the road earlier (as the applicant suggested - try an alternative route!). He will be on view, patrons can easily see his schedule (pattern of arriving / departure times) and viewing patrons who drink on a daily basis.

My other concern is that people who drink at bars - often smoke - they will be standing outside the bar on Angelo St footpath, having a cigarette - where the children will breathe in - the dangers of passive smoking are well known and would be hazardous to children (especially my daughter who has asthma).

The applicant states they will attract "the right clientele" - they can't state that for a fact - we do not know who will attend this bar, and no matter how respectable you are - anyone under the influence of a few drinks or more - still has impaired judgment, impaired driving skills, and is more likely to be involved in anti-social behaviour.

The other major community concern is that if this bar proceeds - it will set a precadent - this school deals with 1,200 students per day PLUS community students after hours - offering a huge variety of sporting activities from swimming, gymnastics, ballet. In addition it is a boarding school. if a bar is approved at this location - a bar can be approved at any local school! The local goverment primary school is also on Angelo Street and St Columbas iprimary school is within easy driving distance.

We are trying to encourage our children to walk / ride to school - how many parents will feel comfortable having their child walk/ride unsupervised past a bar.  It will lead to parents driving their kids to/from school and adding further traffic congestion.