Say no to alcohol opposite Wesley Boys' School

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Say no to alcohol opposite Wesley Boys' School.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-09-01 03:39

Concerned parent

2014-09-01 06:36

My concern is that my boy will walk past this bar every day, as he walks to the traffic lights and walks across the road using the pedestrian crossing signals. This is the safest option - it would be unsafe walking another route - or crossing over the road earlier (as the applicant suggested - try an alternative route!). He will be on view, patrons can easily see his schedule (pattern of arriving / departure times) and viewing patrons who drink on a daily basis.

My other concern is that people who drink at bars - often smoke - they will be standing outside the bar on Angelo St footpath, having a cigarette - where the children will breathe in - the dangers of passive smoking are well known and would be hazardous to children (especially my daughter who has asthma).

The applicant states they will attract "the right clientele" - they can't state that for a fact - we do not know who will attend this bar, and no matter how respectable you are - anyone under the influence of a few drinks or more - still has impaired judgment, impaired driving skills, and is more likely to be involved in anti-social behaviour.

The other major community concern is that if this bar proceeds - it will set a precadent - this school deals with 1,200 students per day PLUS community students after hours - offering a huge variety of sporting activities from swimming, gymnastics, ballet. In addition it is a boarding school. if a bar is approved at this location - a bar can be approved at any local school! The local goverment primary school is also on Angelo Street and St Columbas iprimary school is within easy driving distance.

We are trying to encourage our children to walk / ride to school - how many parents will feel comfortable having their child walk/ride unsupervised past a bar.  It will lead to parents driving their kids to/from school and adding further traffic congestion.

Concerned neighbour

2014-09-01 08:21

I live directly behind where the bar will be. My garage is directly accesible by the back lane leading from behind the angelo shopping strip where the bar is meant to be. On numerous occassions I have come home to find students in Wesley uniforms smoking. Having a bar in close proximity to the school will only encourage this and I do not want to be coming home in the future to find student drinking in the lane way. 

#4 Resident of Norfolk St

2014-09-01 12:28

Wesley College currently has over 1200 students consisting of day students and boarders. Angelo St is a very narrow street, busy and will not be able to cope with additional traffic with large delivery trucks. There is a strong possibility of children being run over.
I am concern about the welfare of students and their safety. The long hours will attrack undesirable people into our lovely, family well established homes.

2014-09-02 23:42

It would appear these days that councils can ride rough shod over the wishes of the residents and ratepayers that they are bound by law (the Local Government Act)to represent.
These local governments rely on apathy to keep them there, the ONLY way to prevent this is to take an active interest in your community issues and speak out. Good Luck

2014-09-03 13:31

could the council please explain how they intend to control the noise from the bar for the near by residence.and show which 4 parking bays are for the patrons, and what traffic management plan is in place and who is going to manage it if patrons abused it after working hours
concerned neighbour

#7 Noise

2014-09-03 22:24

#6: -  

The Council won't be controlling the noise. Indeed some of the Councillors that voted in favour of this bar gave the impression they'll be amongst those drinking in there and helping create the noise. If you'd like to view details of the parking arrangements, or lack therof, please go to the City's website http://www.southperth.wa.gov.au/Our-Council/Minutes-and-Agendas/, locate the February 2014 entry and read the minutes and attachments starting with 10.3.1

Crucially, residents of Waverley Street and nearby Coode Street residents were never surveyed by the Applicant or consulted by the City of South Perth. They found out about the bar two days before the Council approved it. In its haste to approve the bar, a petition simply asking to be consulted prior to approval was dismissed at that Council meeting. Two Councillors declared a personal relationship with the Applicant yet promised to consider it on its merits. One was then permitted to speak extensively in favour of the bar, while 37 local residents who would have liked to have had a say, were gagged. This is how your Council behaves.

Waverley Street residents will bear the brunt of the parking shortfall. The bar has three parking spaces, not even enough for the staff required to open up. For 120 capacity, and using the City's own Town Planning guidelines, it would require 42 spaces. The Council accepted a payment-in-lieu of a paltry $17K to make the problem go away. No-one from the City will be available to manage the parking issues as there are no Ranger services after 7pm weekdays and 5pm weekends, except for emergencies like dog attacks. The Councillors say they will 'moniter' the parking. 

Please ask your friends and neighbours to sign this petition so that we can show the Liquor Licensing Dept. (RGL) that there is not the 'over-whelming support' for a bar at this ill-conceived location that the Applicant claims. This is our last chance.

You can sign this petition anonymously if you prefer. Only the author will see the names and you can be assured they will used in the strictest of confidence. If you prefer, contact the author for a hard copy pro-forma.  

Author

#8 Don't let this go ahead

2014-09-04 11:42

Thanks for your support.

If this bar goes ahead, we will see bars springing up near schools all over our Perth suburbs. Say NO now!

Please ask your friends and neighbours to sign this petition so that we can show the Liquor Licensing Dept. (RGL) that there is not the 'over-whelming support' for a bar at this ill-conceived location that the Applicant claims. This is our last chance.

You can sign this petition anonymously if you prefer. Only the author will see the names and you can be assured they will used in the strictest of confidence. If you prefer, contact the author for a hard copy pro-forma.  

2014-09-06 11:05

Having a pub opposite one of the better boys school is absolutely dreadful and in very poor taste not to mention the fact there are enough 'pubs' scattered around Perth without putting another one in a residential area.
No no no, poor show South Perth council, not protecting your residents!

2014-09-13 09:16

My house. At 26 Waverly st has been broken into three times during the past 8 years - all petty theft for money and alcohol - nothing constructive has been done by the South Perth Town Council to improve security - on the contrary this nature of this development is irresponsible. Most young people are will buy alcohol at some time when underage. They have less experience than adults and they have an innate drive to learn new things and experiment. It is an adults responsibility to control the environment in which children grow to be good productive citizens: It is irresponsible of adults to entice young people to drink, or be exposed to drink. Children do not have the same peripheral vision (girls included) as do adults and a combination of a school crossong, some motorists seeking places to park to buy alcohol is taking an unnecessary risk on life. I fully support the development of Waverly St, inclusive of cafés and restaurant and wine bars selling alcohol - this one is not in the right location and does not have safe parking at a junction. Totally irresponsible and incompetent planning that's hold be investigated further.