WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850

/ #725

2015-10-24 15:53

I agree but I think that you should use An Ghorta Mhóir or the more easily readable & pronounceable An Gorta Mór as this is what most aware Irish Americans use & locally it was just a few yrs ago carved in stone on a beautiful Celtic cross. The same Irish Americans would like to or dream of or might take the many new Irish language classes popping up, but your spelling is a real 'turnoff'. Most English speaking people will frankly(sic) be totally confused by : 'An tOcras Mór'. I get it it but most Irish Americans I know will be baffled by it & embarrassed that they don't know it & see it as 'alien', not out of prejudice, but because, frankly, it is a ghastly mistake by scholars to not have come up with different letters or symbols to express Irish rather than the mh, mb, bh's etc., that they came up with out of some sort of Academic anger to look different than English. Ben Franklin & the early Americans changed spellings on purpose to be different, but they were still recognizable & not as 'Esoteric' looking. My mother who was born speaking Irish could read the old books in the older Irish alphabet but said it was easier for her to learn to speak, read & write English than it was for her to learn to read her native Irish in 1919 in the 'new modern' spellings.