Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Quoted post

shakes head

#81 people need breaks?

2011-02-19 17:20

This is laughable. How many of us did just fine in school and life witout a "balanced" schedule????

I work 50 weeks a year, so the argument that you "need" all these breaks is funny because my family and life are just fine...

Replies

#101 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 18:10:53

#81: shakes head - people need breaks? 

You also probably get to go to the bathroom when you want to, eat for more than 20 minutes a day, see other adults for more than 5 minutes, are paid based on your performance and dont' individually meet the needs of hundreds of children a day.......or maybe you do.

#114 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 19:06:35

Your argument that "you got along just fine without breaks" is not utilizing the data that we have- since they changed the calander to what is it currently (2010-2011), grades are up and absenteeism is down.  The calander with breaks looks to improve the preformace of the students.

Allison Marshall

#120 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 19:36:24

There a lot of good ideas that have been implemented since we were in school in the 70s and 80s.  Do you think we should go back to having lead in our paint, too?  It's called progress.

#132 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 22:58:35

Funny how people who aren't in a classroom every day get to tell us how "easy" our jobs are and that we don't need breaks. The demands of a teacher are unreal and the workload continues to build with less resources. Please don't tell me our situation is laughable until you walk in my shoes!
4 B C

#372 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-24 22:26:25

Dear Mr. "Head"...(appropo)...You obviously don't teach.  Let me explain what teachers do, since you are coming from a place of utter ignorance, bless your heart.  As middle school teachers, our day officially starts at 8:40, I think.  I don't really know since I get to work about 7:15 everyday.  I think the day ends when the students load the buses...this would be 4:15.  The only reason I know the official end time is because that's when I walk the kids out to safely board the buses.  That doesn't mean my day ends.  My day ends generally about 5:30, sometimes 6.  If I have an after school activity to attend or supervise (which is frequent), I can stay as late as 8pm. 

Now.  Breaks.  Well, we don't have any.  You see, we have to be with kids the whole time they are in school.  I can't even go to the bathroom at my leisure.  It's either pee in 3 minutes and race back to class, or hold it to the end of the day.  Lunch?  Sure.  It's for 22 minutes, and I have to supervise kids the whole time.  Oh yea...there IS that planning period we get in the day when our kids are in Connections.  Oh...but wait...that's when we meet as content teams, data teams, grade level teams...that's when we meet with parents, or do training for assessment administration...or meet to discuss retention issues, or tutor kids who are behind.  Planning?  No.  We do that once we get home....which is when we grade all our papers and essays, too. You see, for a teacher, the day doesn't end when we get home.  There is still much to do.

And summer?  What summer?  You see, Mr. "Head", summer is the time teachers hone their teaching skills by attending trainings and planning for the next year.  They are often found meeting with their teammates to analyze what things went well the year before and what things could use some improvement.  This is a time teachers work on additional certifications, or go back to school to take extra hours towards a Masters or other educational endeavors. 

So sir, please watch your arrogance.  You really shouldn't be commenting on something you know nothing about.  You obviously haven't read the research on Balanced Calendars, nor have you stayed up on the fact that America needs to improve its educational system.  We are constantly searching for ways to make our educational system World Class.  The status quo that you are referring to isn't good enough anymore, and in case you haven't noticed, the world isn't the same place it was when you were a lad.  Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth and learn something before you make such insolent comments. 

#399 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-25 23:14:55