Reinstate CrossFit Tricolour

Quoted post

Concerned Student

#5 No.

2014-01-06 02:49

Queen's University made the right decision.

Crossfit workouts are comprised of a heap of heavy of exercises at high repetition in a way that is dangerous to a person.

Most body builders look down on cross fit for its dangerous method of training, but people usually get sucked in to this cultish group due to the sense of community Crossfit brings.

If this dangerous method of training does not make you puke while performing it will make you puke by observing.

Replies

Anon

#6 Re: No.

2014-01-06 03:03:31

#5: Concerned Student - No.

With all due respect, all the workouts are scalable to the person's individual fitness level. If someone feels unsafe, the coaches are great to talk to and bring their concerns to.

Alternatively, a person can also just not join. You are offered a trial period to try it out and if it's not your cup of tea, you can try something else.

CF is a great workout program for people wanting to build their strength, lose weight, or even just meet new people. And a person shouldn't be denied an opportunity to take part in a program like CFT just because someone believes that they are unsafe. We are not children. We are adults who are able to make decisions on what we can and cannot do. You don't need to punish those of us who enjoy it because you can't stomach it.

CFT is an amazing program here at Queen's and should be allowed to stay. The coaches are really awesome and so is the community. Please keep it around!

Vivian

#8 Re: No.

2014-01-06 04:04:36

CrossFit, as compared to bodybuilding, is a completely different ball-game with a completely different set of rules. Most Crossfitters would not be able to throw the same numbers as bodybuilders, and most bodybuilders would not be able to perform the same routines as Crossfitters. Neither is better than the other because they achieve different fitness objectives, and whether a person chooses one over the other, should be up to one's own fitness goals. In any sport, it is important to be careful and understand one's own limit, and CrossFit is no different. At the end of the day, if a person enjoys his/her workout and is safe, it doesn’t matter whether he/she is doing bodybuilding, CrossFit, soccer, yoga or any other fitness activity, because he/she is being active, and genuinely enjoying it - and that’s what matters!

I attend CrossFit because I enjoy the mix of weight and cardiovascular training. I love running my races, but I also enjoy increasing my numbers in the squat rack. I prefer my workouts this way - with constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity.

The coaches at CrossFit Tricolour have done an amazing job in making CrossFit easily accessible, interesting and safe for myself, as well as the other members. Despite being volunteers, each coach is passionate in ensuring CrossFit remains a safe and fun experience, and they are not only coaches to my workout mates and I, but genuine friends. I've made great relationships, surpassed previous personal records for both running and weight lifting and generally acquired a healthier lifestyle. I sincerely hope Queen's recognizes the great community CrossFit Tricolour has created, and will recognize its non-profit status soon!

#21 Re: No.

2014-01-06 21:50:34

And uneducated comments like this are the reason why Crossfit gets a bad reputation.  When performed with correct coaching and proper training, it can easily get you into better shape than anyone at a typical gym could wish for.

Crossfit like workouts have been around for far longer than Crossfit, just look up HIIT training.  It is nothing new.  Crossfit just gets a bad reputation because there are bad clubs out there.  However look at any average gym.  I can point out far more people at risk to hurt themselves at any other gym from being uneducated about what they are doing, and what weights they are lifting.  Stop making blind assessments of an organization because of overpublicized bs.

Science

#53 Re: No.

2014-01-09 00:33:36

Hi welcome to earth!  You're around humans with brains so please act accordingly.