Help The Recovery of the Wye Salmon

Quoted post

Red Head!

#66 Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-12 14:44

#17: concerned - Do NOT support this campaign !! 

Very interested to read the barrage of objections to some very valid points raised by Mr Concerned.  I would have joined in the deafening roar of complaint had I not read the exceptionally well, researched book by the name 'King of Fish' by David R Montgomery.   I would suggest that before anyone else states their is absolutely no proof that hatcheries do not damage native fish numbers they should take stock of their emotions and do some deeper research...and the above book makes fascinating reading..and is the collaborative work of any number of fsishery scientists from both sides of the Atlantic

In the event that riverside predators or any other factors affecting the survival of salmon that make it as far as the river are not controlled then I would heartily agree that stocking should continue.   As I think it can be assumed that cormorants will still be treated as if they were the last remaing Dodo then hatcheries are going to be the only viable option.

However in the event that absolute protection could be afforded the returning salmon and their prodigy then allowing nature to repopulate would be my 'informed' recommendation.  Natural selection during the spawning process is far more complicated than simply picking the same genetic strain from a specific region.   No offence to Scots (I am one) but if one simply took all red heads (I am not one) as a genetic line and force bred them where would we be...

Replies

#68 Re: Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-13 17:05:41

#66: Red Head! - Re: Do NOT support this campaign !! 

Red Head says   " Natural selection during the spawning process is far more complicated than simply picking the same genetic strain from a specific region."

Makes one ponder wether he has actually ever seen a major spawning site in full swing.   Complicated?- don't think so -more like a gang bang plus the precocious parr getting in on the act.  Because you read it in a book does not necessarily make it so.   Most times the hen has no say in the matter -strongest male wins except when smaller males nip in when he's chasing others off together with the mature male parr doing his bit as well.  Who is fertilising who?