Help The Recovery of the Wye Salmon

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Help The Recovery of the Wye Salmon.

2015-01-05 16:23

Well done!

2015-01-05 19:22

Good luck should be a priority

2015-01-05 21:12

This is excellent work. The future of the Wye Salmon is, at best, uncertain. We need all initiatives to work side by side to ensure success. No individual or organisation should dominate with their own agenda's. There is not "one answer" to this problem so we should not rule out any approach. The geneticists would do well to remember that we are part of evolution also....we cannot turn back the clock to pre-industrial times, but we can manage sustainably.
Despite the NRW claims, there is a substantial body of scientific evidence to support this.

2015-01-05 21:15

With Atlantic salmon populations worldwide at an all time low and with the worst season for many years on the Wye it makes no sense at all to pull away from this conservation effort now.

2015-01-07 09:05

Good luck with the petition. I have put the link on lower wye fishing facebook. www.facebook.com/LowerWyeFishing?ref=hl

2015-01-07 10:45

It is time for everyone who cares in any way about the River Wye fisheries to stand together against the combined assault on our rivers from AD plants, inhumane and polluting chicken broiler sheds, under-performing and polluting municipal sewage treatment works, land drainage and the routine use of toxic chemicals on the land. The clock is fast approaching "midnight", beyond which there will be no return.

2015-01-07 11:21

Hereford & District Angling Association control a huge amout of the River Wye in and around Hereford. We give our full support to this petition as we feel that every little helps and sometimes nature does need a little helping hand. Good Luck to the Wye Salmon Association and thank you for remaining active and acting on our behalf. Well Done!!

2015-01-07 14:09

It is important we work on enviroment as well as restocking for both inland and out at sea habitats of the wild salmon populations
pencil

#59 Re:

2015-01-07 17:46

#56: -  

Boy do I agree with you, we must stand and fight together.

Salmon Rusty

#60 Re:

2015-01-08 18:03

#50: -  Can you explain how the sea trout recovered on the Tyne at very much the same rate as the salmon?  No hatchery contribution for them.  It was the cleaning up of the estuary that saved the Tyne , not Peter Gray.

Anonymous

#61 Re: Re:

2015-01-08 18:14

#60: Salmon Rusty - Re:  

Ecologically the sea trout is a very different creature to the salmon. The sea trout fry and parr were already in the tyne in the shape of resident brown trout, every year they migrated and just didn't return, until the estuary was cleaned up. If you read the EA summary you have to read it all.

#62 Re: Re:

2015-01-08 22:47

#59: pencil - Re:  

Then you should be talking to WUF should you not!!!

#63 Re: Re: Re:

2015-01-09 16:44

#62: - Re: Re:  

People have tried talking to WUF over the past 18 years, they do not listen to other peoples opinions they have an agenda of their own which does not favour salmon, their agenda is to build a business empire by expansion so that it becomes untouchable by anyone. the 600 plus people that have signed this petition all have an opinion probably that what WUF have been doing over all those years and spending huge amounts of money have not produced the goods. If that was any other business that had to show results it would have gone bust years ago.

Full credit to WSA whose interest is the wye salmon only, with them the wye might stand a chance.

2015-01-11 21:21

Hope things improve

2015-01-11 22:52

Much like other UK waters the poor salmon numbers are at an all time low , unless a change of management is implemented the Wye and the river to be restructured we will loose the salmon on the Wye again .....
Red Head!

#66 Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-12 14:44

#17: concerned - Do NOT support this campaign !! 

Very interested to read the barrage of objections to some very valid points raised by Mr Concerned.  I would have joined in the deafening roar of complaint had I not read the exceptionally well, researched book by the name 'King of Fish' by David R Montgomery.   I would suggest that before anyone else states their is absolutely no proof that hatcheries do not damage native fish numbers they should take stock of their emotions and do some deeper research...and the above book makes fascinating reading..and is the collaborative work of any number of fsishery scientists from both sides of the Atlantic

In the event that riverside predators or any other factors affecting the survival of salmon that make it as far as the river are not controlled then I would heartily agree that stocking should continue.   As I think it can be assumed that cormorants will still be treated as if they were the last remaing Dodo then hatcheries are going to be the only viable option.

However in the event that absolute protection could be afforded the returning salmon and their prodigy then allowing nature to repopulate would be my 'informed' recommendation.  Natural selection during the spawning process is far more complicated than simply picking the same genetic strain from a specific region.   No offence to Scots (I am one) but if one simply took all red heads (I am not one) as a genetic line and force bred them where would we be...

Gary D'Actylus

#67 Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-13 12:06

There appear to be 2 points here. Firstly hatcheries don't work. If this is the case there can be no genetic risk. Secondly if they do work any fish which scores a home run by returning to the river has proved its genetic credentials and right to breed. Those allegedly less wily stocked smolts which do not survive provide top cover for wild fish by providing meals for cormorants and other predators. Seems to me on this common sense basis that stocking should be supported in conjunction with other existing initiatives. Otherwise we will soon be waiting for a genetically pure virgin birth in a river devoid of salmon.

#68 Re: Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-13 17:05

#66: Red Head! - Re: Do NOT support this campaign !! 

Red Head says   " Natural selection during the spawning process is far more complicated than simply picking the same genetic strain from a specific region."

Makes one ponder wether he has actually ever seen a major spawning site in full swing.   Complicated?- don't think so -more like a gang bang plus the precocious parr getting in on the act.  Because you read it in a book does not necessarily make it so.   Most times the hen has no say in the matter -strongest male wins except when smaller males nip in when he's chasing others off together with the mature male parr doing his bit as well.  Who is fertilising who?

Mask

2015-01-14 11:17

It is obvious that work needs to be carried (continued) out to support the natural habitats to improve the spawning capacity for salmon and this is being carried out by such organisations as the UWF. However, stocks in the Wye are at such low levels, a hatchery programme must be used to enhance these depleted stocks until such time the river is self sustaining. Programmes across the world have shown that this is possible and while this solution is not perfect, it is better than not doing it at all.

#70 Re:

2015-01-14 15:14

#69: Mask -  

When the wye had huge runs ,fish spawned all the way up the main stem, there was not any problem with the natural habitat the fish managed to overcome obsticles and regenerate without interference by man. We have a problem though because numbers have now depleted so much for whatever reason that as you say stocking has helped all over the world.New Zealand for example would not be a wonderful country to fish for salmon had they not been stocked.

The WSA were trying with their SNR program and it was stopped mid stream, let them carry on and give them all the support possible. They were and are volunteers using their own time and money, not seeking goverment help which means public money. so good luck WSA ,all of us who have signed this petition hope for the Wye's sake you succeed.

#71 Re:

2015-01-18 12:40

CJK

#72 Re: Do NOT support this campaign !!

2015-01-19 10:37

I would like to see the evidence which proves that stocking compromises bio-diversity. It strikes me that this is the fisheries scientists equivalent of political correctness! Which rivers? what problems? Please?

2015-01-19 19:33

I would like to see the evidence too.  I fear there will be a deadly silence from those who peddle that particular message.

2015-02-09 17:50

I wish you every success in what you trying to achieve. NRW is implementing a decision which is totally unproven, and against the views of a vast number of anglers, who, let us not forget, through license fees, help pay their salaries .

2015-02-09 21:11

Save the salmon, save the keepers, save the river.