Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Quoted post

#41 Memorial Day to Labor Day is IMPOSSIBLE

2012-01-11 22:29

I just have to point this out. People keep saying that they want to be out from Memorial Day to Labor Day, "like it used to be". I don't know how old you are; but I'm coming up on 40 and have never heard of anyone being out that long. To go back after Labor Day means you have to go to school through June. It just isn't possible to do it otherwise. Well... it is possible; but it means that the kids would only have NINE days off during the year. I guess we could have a week for winter break and 4 days for spring break. No teacher work days or any other 3 day weekends. Is that what you guys are proposing? Because the kids are supposed to be in school for 180 days per year. For the 2012 - 2013 calendar there are 189 week days in between those holidays.

Replies

heath

#178 Re: Memorial Day to Labor Day is IMPOSSIBLE

2012-01-16 21:51:21

Well I am 41 and that s how it was in Cobb back then. Althought we were only required to do 170 days I believe. There were no teacher workdays, 2 days off at Thankgiving and 1 1/2 weeks at Christmas. Not saying I agree but it was doable back then.

#231 Re: Memorial Day to Labor Day is IMPOSSIBLE

2012-01-18 00:37:25

#41: - Memorial Day to Labor Day is IMPOSSIBLE

I disagree.  I'm only 48 and when I was a kid school started immediately after Labor Day and ended either at Memorial Day or in the first week of June.  How did we turn out?  Just fine, thank you.  There's no reason that kids today can't benefit from the same schedule.  What's all the fixation on the 180?  It's just a number, and we can easily change that to 170 if necessary.