Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Quoted post

Frustrated

#55 Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-12 20:27

#27: - Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb 

I could not agree with you more!!!!  Well said.  I think this has more to do with teachers liking a vacation every six weeks.  Some children need consistency.  And for what it's worth, I would like my children prepared for the real world....you know....where you actually have to work more than 6 weeks at a time.  And what about college?  Do you think they are going to be so concerned about how well rested you are?  Grow up people!!!

Let's work on our budget....far more important than a calendar!!

Replies

#56 Re: Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-12 21:04:30

#55: Frustrated - Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

So - you're saying that in the "real world" you get a 3 month break every year? Can I please have a job where you work? Let's be real, no matter where the breaks fall, kids go to school the same amount of days every year, by law. So whether they have a 3 month break over the summer and then less frequent/shorter breaks in the school year ("traditional calendar") or a slightly shorter summer that consequently entitles them to a few more breaks in the school year ("balanced" calendar) this doesn't change how many days they are *in* school. Any teacher will tell you that they spend the first 6-9 weeks of a school year reviewing things that were taught in the previous grade b/c over the longer summer break kids do not retain all that they learned. And I am tired of the teacher bashing/hating. I am not a teacher but have many friends & some family who are teachers, and they work harder at their job than most anyone else I can think of. Unlike a typical job, they can't make phone calls when they need to, have free time for lunch, take a break, or even go to the bathroom when they want to. They are at school before businesses/doctor's offices are open and there till those other places are closed. The more frequent breaks in the school year allows them to do things we normally do without thinking - schedule personal appts, medical/dental appts for themselves & their kids. Otherwise they have to take time off (many times w/o pay) and the school must have someone to take their place in their absense. Does your job require a substitute when you have to go to the dentist or to the bathroom? Let's stop bashing the teachers!! Also lets stop treating the kids like they are grown adults who can survive & thrive on long periods of "work" with no breaks. They are not in the "real world" yet - is it really the best thing to burn them out when they are just kids to "prepare them for the real world"?? Which of course then will include a 3 *month* long break every summer?

#57 Re: Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-12 21:07:56

The teachers are a small, but important part of this equation. The reason why you see the petition being signed overwhelmingly by the parents is because the parents are looking at what's best for their kids, period. The parents believes in the frequent break periods in between. There are obvious advantages to having the breaks, and it is very similar to those school systems worldwide.

As far as the "Real World", I have between 10-15 PTO days in a calendar year. That means 3-weeks of vacation. I have no large, 2-month summer break. Globally, many countries competing against the US doesn't have such a large, summer break. And in the workplace, you can't take the summer off. A balanced calendar is more realistic to the real world than the traditional calendar.

#61 Re: Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-13 04:46:47

Yikes, you wanted them prepared for the real business world....and you think the traditional calendar does that?  What industry, besides education, gives you 8+ weeks off in the summer?  Your children are much more likely to schedule a few days of vacation every few weeks.

#69 Re: Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-13 21:57:03