Support Airline Workers Against Mask Mandates
Federal Face Mask policies and procedures, due to Covid-19, have created daily challenges in every aspect of life over the past two years. These challenges are critically impacting the Aviation Industry, especially Flight Crews, and needs to be addressed with the utmost importance.
Communication is one the most crucial components in executing a safe flight and can have a detrimental effect on both crew and passengers when it is obstructed. Face masks interfere with communication between crew members, ground support and passengers. The vast majority of Flight Crews believe they are more likely to be confronted by unruly and/or violent passengers as opposed to contracting a virus. Masks are also demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These effects include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear & stress response, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, immunosupression which causes a predispostion for viral & infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety & depression.
Long-term consequences of wearing face masks can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death (Standford Study Results, Apr. 2021) Below are facts and quotes from industry and health officials regarding masks:
- Authorities have received more than 3,000 reports of unruly airplane passengers during 2021, and the majority of those involve face mask rules (CNN)
- 5,981 Unruly Passenger Reports (As of Dec. 31 ,2021 www.faa.gov)
- 4,290 Mask-Related Incidents Reported (As of Dec. 31 ,2021 www.faa.gov)
- 6.9 reported unruly incidents per 10,000 flights (week ending 12/26/2021 (www.faa.gov)
- 1,075 Investigations Initiated (As of Dec. 31, 2021 www.faa.gov)
- 338 Enforcement Cases Initiated (As of Dec. 31, 2021 www.faa.gov)
- “We've never before seen aggression and violence on our planes like we have in the past five months. Already, reports of these incidents in less than five months are more than 60 times the amount in a typical year. But these are just the incidents reported.” (Sara Nelson, 2021)
- The virus easily escapes the preferred N95, and most people are wearing cloth masks which are extremely ineffective in preventing the spread of the virus. Studies have shown that cloth masks are actually worse for you than not wearing one at all.
- Surgical masks are not designed for the outside world and will not filter a virus upon inhaling through it. It's filtration works on the exhale, only works one-way, stops after 20 minutes, rendering it useless outside of a Sterile Envirionment. (Face mask were designed for healthcare workers as to not spread bacteria to patients whose immune systems are weak).
- "The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material" (Feb 5, 2020 Dr. Anthony Fauci)
- A virus measures at 1 micron.
- A virus with water droplets measures at 64 microns.
- Mask fibers are measured at 80 microns
- “Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes.” (www.cdc.gov)
- The HEPA filters are 99.7% effective or greater in removing particulate contaminants, including viruses like Covid-19, and bacteria and fungi from reticulated air. (TRANSCOM/AMC Commercial Aircraft Cabin Aerosol Dispersion Tests)
- "Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations. There’s no place for them in light of Omicron.” (Dec. 22, 2021 Dr. Leana Wen on CNN)
- ''Masks don't add much, if anything' against COVID-19 on planes." (Dec. 15, 2021 Southwest CEO Gary Kelly)
- "Cloth masks aren't going to provide a lot of protection, that's the bottom line." (Jan 2, 2022 Peter Gottleib, Former FDA Commissioner)
Quite simply masks do not work. There is no scientific evidence/studies proven, produced or published of mask efficacy. We are entrusted and empowered to make critical decisions on duty and should be trusted to make decisions about our own health and request your assistance in the immediate removal of the Federal Mask Mandate.
On behalf of airline workers across America, we respectfully request your prompt attention to this matter.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Tens of Thousands of Airline Employees across America Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|