Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

Alison Harris

#676 additional comment

2011-03-05 00:47

We were shocked that the input of the public was completely ignored by the school board members. A board position is to represent a group, NOT one's own agenda. This overturn of the calendar when public opinion was asked for and ignored was a blatant abuse of position. No doubt there are other more pressing issues you could be addressing.

#677 Keep the original plan

2011-03-05 13:46

What are parents suppose to do when we've made expensive, once in a lifetime plans for these breaks we were told we would have? We were told this is your schedule for the next 3 years, and we made plans accordingly. And what about the local businesses that changed their business models to accommodate our school schedules? It's not easy to go back and change plans for some. I know the Scouts plan week long trips over these breaks because it's easier to get into places. My older kids are in ROTC, and these breaks afford them the opportunity to go on trips without missing school. They also afford them extra practice time right before their Championship Meets. Some of us actually read the schedule and plan our lives accordingly. Obviously, these school board members don't. My kids hardly ever miss school. I plan all appointments around their school schedule. This Fall, they will miss 5 school days because I cannot cancel our trip without a major financial penalty. Now my kids will be penalized because these people spent time and more of my money on something that was already settled.

#678 Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 14:30

My husband and I are not Cobb County natives and both of our familys live in Texas. One of our big trips is always at Christmas. So next year with the calendar we have to take our kids out of school for at least 3 days (we drive to save money). We will just NOT leave on December 23rd at 4:30 and try to make it to their grandparents by the 24th. And although I don't have teenagers yet, I cannot even imagine that they would do good on a test a few days before Christmas. It's just to much of an exciting time. They come home and see the tree and gifts, do shopping, have church activities and parties...who could concentrate on studying! I couldn;'t
Carolyn Fontaine

#679 calendar

2011-03-05 15:23

your survey said enough
parent and teacher

#680 REALLY?

2011-03-05 15:25

Have YOU visited a school lately? It is truly amazing at the number of issues we deal with from 20 years ago (student and teacher wise). Stand up for the decision made for a three year try and THEN make a decision on a calendar based on data at that point - not preceived notions or data unseen.
Mo

#681 Dec 23?

2011-03-05 16:22

It will be interesting to see how many students and teachers are actually in school Dec. 19-23 if we keep the traditional calendar. It has become embarassing to say that I am a Cobb Co. teacher because of the attitudes of our board members. Really, they are acting like stubborn children.
laura

2011-03-05 16:49

I hope this gets someones attention.

#683 Re: Dec 23?

2011-03-05 16:53

#684 Re: REALLY?

2011-03-05 16:56

#680: parent and teacher - REALLY? 

And - another "teacher" invents another word: "preceived"

I truly feel bad for all of the outstanding teachers that have their profession sullied by the low-skilled whiners.

#685 Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 16:58

#678: - Calendar doesn't make sence 

Perhaps if you did a better job of parenting - your children could learn to focus and thrive. 

Kim Osburn

#686 Respect

2011-03-05 18:07

Please show respect for the community that you serve. The community shared their thoughts. The majority want to keep the calendar that was originally posted for three years.
Cobb teacher and parent

#687 Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 18:09

#685: Guest - Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

Really? You're calling these folks bad parents because their children get excited and have difficulty focusing 2 days before Christmas? You have obviously never been in a classroom a few days before Christmas - because you would be saying that about 99% of parents. Be realsitic - kids are just that  - kids and normal children get excited at Christmas. That is one of the reasons we should not go until 12/23. Another is that our absences will be MASSIVE -so we are wasting valuable school days.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-03-05 18:09

#689 Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 18:24

#687: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

But, of course the children don't get the least bit more excited and "have difficulty focusing 2 day before..."

their trips to Disney/Cruises etc. before the new/old September Break, February Break, etc.

Seems like you are proving the point that the "balanced" calendar is bad for retaining the focus of children.

Cobb teacher and parent

#690 Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 19:02

You really do live in a fantasy world. Every student in Cobb County does not go to Disney or on a cruise during their break! Many go to the doctor,dentist,orthodontist, or other appointments,get hair cuts,visit grandparents,sleep late, get ahead or caught up on assignments, read a great book, spend quality time with their family, visit colleges, do service projects and some just relax for a few days. Which even though you think that is a terrible thing - it really can be great for students.

#691 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 19:09

#690: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

"Which even though you think that is a terrible thing - it really can be great for students."

- I do?

where did I say that?

Are you "preceiving" again? lolololololololololol

ps:lol

Cobb teacher and parent

#692 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 19:32

#691: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

I would assume that if you are opposed to students having breaks that you are opposed to what they do during those breaks. A little down time can be a great thing - almost 3 months is far too much.

I am not the one that accidently misspelled preconceived but I am thankful that we have perfect people like you to correct others and to overgeneralize.

#693 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 19:34

#692: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

You know what they say about "assume".  Or maybe you don't.

You are welcome.

#694 Bickering

2011-03-05 20:47

It is very sad that this discussion forum has become so negative. I believe it was created to express our opinions about the calendar vote by the CCSD Board, not to attack and insult each other.
It is also very, very sad at how this issue seems to be making teachers the enemy. Just looking through the discussion pages it looks as though most of the post are not by teachers yet they have been referred to as "whiners", "lame", "lazy", and other such names.
Maybe this type of back biting is exactly what the board is hoping for. Are we giving them what they want?
Regardless of which calendar you prefer, the actions by this board are questionable at the very least and should be a cause for concern by all citizens of Cobb County.

Please keep this forum civil!!!

Nicole Pratz

#695 Balanced school calendar

2011-03-05 21:53

Parents' and teachers' votes should be the deciding factor. These are our children. Give parents credit for knowing what works best for their child. Teachers are with the children day in and day out. Their vote for the balanced school calendar, as well as the parents, speaks volumes. I thought our country was based on a democratic model, maybe I was wrong.

#696 Re: Re: Dec 23?

2011-03-05 22:09

Disgruntled Parent of 2 AND Teacher of Area 5

#697 Where's the data?

2011-03-05 22:10

I am a teacher and my job is to do what is right for the children! The data I have seen shows that this extended calendar has already saved our county tons of money on substitute teachers. It has lowered the absence rate of students as well. This is a win, win for our kids!
Many teachers have written to board members personally and many get a copied and pasted letter in return. Ms. Angelucci shared her support for Six Flags over GA and the monies they lose over those 2 weeks of us an extended year. REALLY??? Although I have NEVER seen her face in my school building (Yes, she has my area)-I'd love to see her face EXITING my area!

#698 Re: Attendance will suffer again!!!

2011-03-05 22:11

#26: Charles Young - Attendance will suffer again!!! 

ABSOLUTELY!!!  Let's use data over the 3 year period to drive our decisions!  Thank you!

Mo

#699 Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence

2011-03-05 22:12

#689: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Calendar doesn't make sence 

30 unfocused and excited children is very different than 3 or 4 unfocused children going on cruises.

#700 Re: Calendar

2011-03-05 22:15

#64: Ugh! - Calendar 

Your kids DO get a summer vacation.  How many weeks constitutes a vacation?  Can they not enjoy themselves in September and/or February in addition to the summer weeks?  I am very confused when people think they are losing their summer.  It is simply not true.