NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

CJ

#76 As a law student I make no assumptions, but public opinion doesn't have a law degree.

2016-09-27 09:39

As a law student I have some background with regards the protection of competing rights. Our Constitution enshrines these competing rights, namely Freedom of Expression/Movement/Association v Education, in the Bill of Rights. The fact that SASCO and certain other political elements are abusing a genuine political agenda and exploiting the legal ignorance of the few cronies that they control to gain political mileage in the run-up towards student governance elections at the university means that the latter right (Education) must reign supreme in this standoff between equally protected rights.

2016-09-27 09:43

Protesting students should be expelled so that students who want to work can do so in peace. They are privileged to be able to attend university at all. Nothing in life is free unfortunately.

The unlawful acts of these hooligans must be ended,

Because I think that these protests are taking it too far. Enough study time has been lost through protests. If they continue then the country will experience a lot of economical damage that will in my understanding lead to the opposite of what the protesters want to achieve. I am for free education, but I strongly disagree with the way it is achieved at this stage.

2016-09-27 09:44

To put an end to the unlawful protests to enable us non-protesting students to return to university.

Anonymous

2016-09-27 09:45

I am an international student and a pay huge tuition and accommodation not to mention feeding and others. I am not permitted to pick up any job whilst studying, I lost my job back home for coming here to study in the first place. And after all this what do I get! This? Hell no, I am graduating and my visa is expiring this year, I can't afford the cost of application and an extension of my study year pls. With what I am seeing I am already stopping my other colleagues from coming to study here next year, this is not right.

2016-09-27 09:55

I would like to return to varsity because although the protest has merits, the gross violation of my human right to education is being taken away by a small number of students who do not understand that there is no such thing as a free meal. The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is not the university itself but government. They should protest at government buildings on their own time and not hinder the people that value the education that they are getting and don't mind paying for it because it gives us a better shot at a good future

2016-09-27 09:57

I agree that each and every student, especially those whose parents have paid for their University education has the right to receive uninterrupted tuition.

2016-09-27 10:00

Tired of siting at home doing nothing . I want this petition work because my life is on hold now n I hate that.

2016-09-27 10:00

Let those who want to continue their studies be allowed to attend lectures. Keep our universities open.

2016-09-27 10:03

It's high time someone stood up for the students and parents who have made huge sacrifices for their children to secure a future for themselves, at huge expense, that anyone could ill afford.

2016-09-27 10:05

To write tests nd exams and graduate december

2016-09-27 10:08

I want to finish my studies to start working. How can I do that if everything is being put on hold. They want fees to fall but ny burning en destroying everything. How are the fees supposed to fall if there is no money to pay for repairs.

2016-09-27 10:21

So I may learn and be educated

2016-09-27 10:37

I want to study and finish my degree. They are taking away my right to education without even thinking about it!

2016-09-27 10:38

My son studies at NMMU. Thank you for helping us voicing our frustrations on this outrageous, uncivilised, and vandalising protests. It is a shame that people have to intimidate others to help them in their unlawful actions. There are better ways to solve problems in a CIVILISED WAY!!!

2016-09-27 10:38

Because I agree with the message and purpose of it.

2016-09-27 10:43

It is quite unfair that some students want to fight inequality by just causing more inequality. I understand the plight they are going through but they have to remember that some students are on bursaries which only funds them for a certain number of years and thereafter they have to fend for themselves. I would really like to just obtain my degree. They can strike all they want but my call is for them to just not disrupt those who want to learn

2016-09-27 10:46

because it is unfair for my child to miss out on the education that I battle my ass off to pay!!!!!!!

2016-09-27 10:51

I have paid alot of money for NMMU towards my daughters studies and this is totally unacceptable that a minority of people can disrupt the university she needs to finish this year and get her degree. And would like to do her honors next year.

2016-09-27 10:52

I have a daughter at varsity who has worked hard and does not deserve to have to waste a year of her life, because that is what will happen if the varsities close for the year.

2016-09-27 10:54

I have the right to a education

2016-09-27 10:59

I believe that people who wants to achieve greater goals in life will succeed through j
hard work and not just handouts

2016-09-27 11:04

The student that is trying to get a future life is being oppressed by the criminal behavior of feesmustfall campaign...it is wrong on all levels that paying and studying students should have to fall behind because of criminal activities, the government should step in and protect the universities like they protected luthuli house, that is a building the students are people wanting a future and 1 person is dead so this is not a protest anymore ... it is criminal

2016-09-27 11:06

Not getting any education. What am I paying for? I'm paying for a service and not receiving anything.