Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Quoted post

Cobb Resident

#286 Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-22 06:00

#200: - School calendar and the school system in general !

You ask what other counties are saying?? Fulton (with a higher performance than Cobb) has an August 23rd start date.  The people from other states - who start after Labor Day, are enjoying their August with their extended families who live across the country.  Florida has mandated a later school start.  The top performing states in the country all have a later school start.  We have been unable to attend family reunions, etc. with our Indiana, Connecticut, Texas, Illinois extended family - because of what the prior school board did.  I cannot understand the passionate outcry on this subject...

Replies

#288 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-22 06:16:20

#286: Cobb Resident - Re: School calendar and the school system in general ! 

This is true..but as a Florida resident we did not get out of school till the 2nd week of June.  We wouldn't mind the later start date but you can't have it both ways.  We must complete the 180 days.  take it late...end later.  take it earlier...end earlier.

180 days of school no matter when we start

#289 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-22 06:47:20

We have been unable to attend family reunions, etc. with our Indiana, Connecticut, Texas, Illinois extended family - because of what the prior school board did.  I cannot understand the passionate outcry on this subject...

This is why you want to punish every student in the Cobb District with a calendar with no breaks.  Have you seen that students have to go to school from after Labor Day in September to Election Day in November with no breaks and then another long period between MLK Day in Feb. and Spring Break in April.  All so you can go to a family reunion?  eeek!  What is the world coming to?

#290 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-22 06:55:09

Have your family reunion in June--oops can't because the "rest of the country" is still in school.  You could have it in July--a great compromise.

#444 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-27 17:50:09

Yes, look at how other successful local counties (Fulton) and other successful states are doing this.  They are NOT in school August 1st.

Thank you for this information.

#448 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-27 18:17:20

Thanks for the info I have yet to hear any concrete data supporting balanced calendar While I could live with either calendar there seems to be more negatives with the balanced calendar.