Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

Traci Westfelt

#426 Keep the Fight Up for the Balanced Calendar

2011-02-26 15:11

The four board members who voted for the traditional calendar need to remember that they work for the people. Public trust has definitely been lost in the 3 newly elected board members and Ms. Bartlett. The majority vote was completely disregarded. These 4 new board members need to wake up!!!

#427 #425

2011-02-26 17:11

THANK YOU!!!!
Daniel Carfang

#428 Petition for the August 1st Calendar

2011-02-26 20:40

I do not believe there is sufficient data after only 1 semester to determine whether the balanced calendar is effectively meeting the academic & financial needs of our county schools. Therefore, I vote to keep the balanced calendar for the 3 years as originally voted on & passed.
Donna Judkins

#429 Calendar

2011-02-26 23:44

The decision was made to keep the new calendar for three years and then evaluate how it worked for Cobb County...it hasn't been three years and one year isn't enough time to see if it is a good fit.
Pat East

#430 not enough time given to this calender it wqas supposed to be for 3 years

2011-02-27 00:23

Teachers and students seemed to like it! I think it should have been used for the 3 years as proposed!
Marilyn Kontrafouris

#431 August 1 Calendar

2011-02-27 00:25

How dare the school board present a voting option and then totally disregard the outcome. I will attempt to be at the next board meeting and I encourage all who support the vote to attend. In reality, this isn't just about the calendar election. It is about the school board serving the community of Cobb county and respecting the people, who they are supposed to serve. Shame, embarrassment and remorse are the feelings that the board should be experiencing.

#432 Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-27 02:52

#425: Cobb parent and teacher - 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

are you a child in CCSD?  No.  I'm a Cobb valedictorian who is embarrassed by the child-like behavior shown by the bottom-feeding teachers ranting at the board meetings and boards like this.  So, I mock them.  I've never had anything but excellent teachers and neither have my children. 

My children do quite well in school.  One son pleasantly suprised me with a citzenship award a couple of years ago.

I'm not unhappy with teachers in Cobb County, I'm unhappy with the bottom-feeders who make the excellent teachers in Cobb County look bad.

Holli is a loser, those who support her are losers

Traditional calendar supporters won ALL elections.

They did what they said they would do.

The Board Chair is A TEACHER WHO WORKS IN A BALANCED CALENDAR DISTRICT - and she voted against it.

There will be no recall.

The petitions are cute.

By the way, what does my family have to do with anything.  Jerk.

#433 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-27 03:24

#412: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

God forbid that teachers (god's give to mankind, the untouchables, the intellects behind changing the spelling of benefits to benifits, etc.) share a fate similiar to the rest of the economy.

You are correct I made a mistake when I wrote "benifits" rather than "benefits".  I will admit when I make a mistake--will the School Board?

aandrea crook

#434 lies

2011-02-27 05:56

we were told it was a three year deal..... I have lost three thousand dollars down payment on a cruise for our family in September..It was voted for three years... how does this happen. I am a product of Cobb County Schools... Started Kindergarten in 1971 at Brumby, East Cobb and then Wheeler.... the board should be ashamed...when the vote was 70% percent....

#435 Re: lies

2011-02-27 06:00

#434: aandrea crook - lies 

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  I hope there is some way the cruise company can accomodate you, etc.

#436 Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-27 17:13

#432: Guest - Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

Go enjoy your family and stop spending your time on this site putting down teachers and calling people rude names because of their opinions- completely inappropriate ....
Karen Stippich

#437 August 1st Calendar.

2011-02-27 17:21

The majority of the board does NOT care what the majority of the people want. Besides this was a calendar that was suppose to be for 3 years not 1 year!

#438 February Break 2012

2011-02-27 17:31

This year (2011) Paulding County was supposed to have this past week off (same as us). But, because of the snow days, they held school. However, students who were going away were given excused absences due to the change.

For those of you who have already booked your vacations, go. People do it all the time. At my school we had a family go to DisneyWorld the week of the 7th.

The state is talking about furlough days again for next year. I heard it could be as high as 20. If that comes to be, maybe we will all be happy: start August 15th; furlough a week in September; furlough the week before Christmas; furlough the week in February; Lord knows when the fourth week could be.

Bottom line is we should all be concerned about who will be in our classrooms and how many students will be in each class. When we get breaks should be so far down on the list. We need to make sure we have teachers in the classrooms.

#439 Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-27 17:32

#436: Guest - Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

I will do as I please.

I said ALL teachers I have been personally in contact with are EXCELLENT.

Those who act as they have been lately - are a disgrace to the profession.

The name calling is not because of their opinions - it is because of their behavior and demeaning of the EXCELLENT TEACHERS and Board in Cobb County.

#440 Re: Petition for the August 1st Calendar

2011-02-27 17:37

#373: Stefan Shook - Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Our democracy is just fine.  I shudder to think that you learned that a non-scientific survey should rule over the legal vote in November.  All four have made their position very well known on the balanced calendar and to vote otherwise would left them with the fate of Rev. Crooks and Dr. Abraham, who also said they were against the balanced calendar but voted for it.  That didn't turn out so well for them, did it?

The survey results on the CCSD website never said how many teachers voted in Cobb County, did it; just percentages.  We only have 8500ish teachers in the county, yet drilling down on the survey will show that we have a few thousand more.  Interesting...

#441 Re: February Break 2012

2011-02-27 17:40

#438: - February Break 2012 

Interesting, I didn't know that about Paulding.

Where did you hear furlough days of 20?  That is made up garbage.

Here is the quote from the governor on 2/13:

"Let me be clear: My budget will end teacher furloughs and keep students in school for a full school year,"

#442 Teacher Absenteeism

2011-02-27 17:45

#390: Guest - Six Flags Revenues and other points

Regarding your comment about teacher absenteeism being much lower this year due to the balanced calendar:  Do you think it might have something to do with the new attendance policy implemented by the board?  I know for me it does.  I have gone to school when I have been sick because of this policy, as have several of my peers, and not because of the balanced calendar.

I would have loved to have gone to my dentist this past week, but when Cobb has these weeks off, he takes off, too, to be with his children.

Teachers have earned sick days, just like they earn a salary, and should be able to use them when they NEED them.

#443 Re: Re: February Break 2012

2011-02-27 17:47

#441: Guest - Re: February Break 2012

Time will tell, won't it?

Yes, there are discussions at the Gold Dome about it.

You can't get blood from a stone.  If the money is not there, how do you suggest you pay for teachers?

We need to be more concerned about the financial health of education and not when we have breaks.  When we get back to our glory days we can get our 180 days and talk about breaks.

#444 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-27 17:50

#286: Cobb Resident - Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

Yes, look at how other successful local counties (Fulton) and other successful states are doing this.  They are NOT in school August 1st.

Thank you for this information.

#445 Re: One of the "4" gets a February Break!

2011-02-27 17:59

#342: Guest - One of the "4" gets a February Break!

And since Ms. Bartlett got last week off because Douglas County had off, if she were thinking about herself, don't you think she would like to be able to enjoy her four children again next year, too?  But she wasn't thinking about herself.  She was thinking about the fiscal responsibility the board has to its stake holders.

I love that everyone here is so sure that these breaks work.  We have only had one, and it was in September.  If our students can't be in school for only seven weeks without a week long break (just two weeks or so after Labor Day) along with conference week in the fall to do well, maybe we need to look at what we are doing in school and out of school.

#446 Re: Teacher Absenteeism

2011-02-27 18:07

Excellent point.

#447 Re: Re: Re: February Break 2012

2011-02-27 18:12

#443: Guest - Re: Re: February Break 2012 

Who specifically at the gold dome is talking about 20 furlough days when the governor is saying none? We all need to express our opinions to these individuals. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

#448 Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

2011-02-27 18:17

#286: Cobb Resident - Re: School calendar and the school system in general ! 

Thanks for the info I have yet to hear any concrete data supporting balanced calendar While I could live with either calendar there seems to be more negatives with the balanced calendar.
Betty Walker

#449 calendar

2011-02-27 19:31

Please keep our current calendar.

#450 Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-27 19:52

#432: Guest - Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

"I'm a Cobb valedictorian who is embarrassed by the child-like behavior shown by the bottom-feeding teachers ranting at the board meetings and boards like this.  So, I mock them.  I've never had anything but excellent teachers and neither have my children.

By the way, what does my family have to do with anything.  Jerk."

Who is being child-like?