Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

Martha Sexton

#476 actions of the Board

2011-02-28 17:18

As a Cobb Classroom teacher for 17 years, I am fearful for the future of the educational system in this county. Has the present Board not heeded the Accreditation authorities and other local Boards whose in-fighting and self-serving votes endangered and even lost the standing of the county education system. I have always proud to have been a graduate of Cobb County Schools, a mother of 3 graduates of Cobb County Schools and an employee who had never even wanted to work in another county, but now I am having my doubts. BOARD MEMBERS put aside your own wants, desires, prejudices, and use sound data and thinking to make decision that affect so many!!
Disgusted in the 4 dictators

#477 Calendar change

2011-02-28 17:18

This change is ridiculus. All four board members who voted for this change should be forced to resign. Not only did they take matters into their own hands and change a calendar that all were promised would be in tact for three years, they also voted againt what the majority of those they represent truly wanted! What kind of example are they setting for our children? Democracy doesn't matter?? Makes me wonder what their TRUE reason for changing the calendar really is. Who's interest are they interested in besides their own.
JORGE GONZALEZ

#478 AUGUST 1ST

2011-02-28 17:31

THERE WILL BE MORE ABSENTEISM WITH THE APPROVED CALENDAR.EVERYONE TAKES CHRISTMAS VACATION FEW DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY.THIS WILL DISCRUPT THE PROGRESS OF THE CLASSES AND TEACHER'S PLANNING. IT IS BETTER TO HAVE SCHOOL WHEN THERE IS SCHOOL TIME, AND VACATION WHEN THERE IS VACATION, NOT MIXED! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND THE RIGHT ATTITUDE OF THE TEACHERS WHEN THINGS ARE FAIR!
Greg Flick

#479 August Calendar

2011-02-28 17:57

Please enact the August 1st Calendar
Tricia Carnes

#480 Cobb County Calendar

2011-02-28 18:48

I think that we need to continue the Aug. 1st calendar for at least 3 years as was decided last year. We need to try to see if there is any improvement with test scores, attendence and attitudes. I think that it is a good schedule due to being able to push the students knowing that a R&R is just ahead. Thank You!
Chris Doemel

#481 School Calendar

2011-02-28 19:00

Absolutely disgusted by the attitude of the board members who go against the wishes of the majority of the people who responded to their survey. I understand that their are people who don't like the calendar and want longer summers. But when it comes right sown to it, majority rules in this country....??!?
Disgusted!

#482 School Calendar

2011-02-28 19:04

Is there any truth to the rumor that the 2 new board members who railed-roaded this change through took money for their campaigns from the "Georgians Need Summers.com" group?
Vicky Di Vito

#483 Petition for calendar year 2011 and 1012

2011-02-28 20:54

Your jobs could be so much easier if you would just listen to your teachers and employees. Shame on you.
Debbie Holman

2011-02-28 21:41

Return balanced calendar
Craig Hines

#485 Calendar

2011-02-28 22:02

I dont understand how when such a majority is in favor of a August 1st start date that you change it. Why did you do the survey if you were changing regardless.
My 11 year od son and Chalker Student asked, I thought we live in a democracy, it was hard to explain to him how our board represents the people of Cobb County.
Maybe our school board member would like to explain for me.

Susan Huggins

#486 Balanced Calendar

2011-02-28 22:52

I have been very concerned about the lack of sensitivity to the high demand of the balanced calendar. As a teacher, I love it, the children are much more rested and ready to learn with the breaks (us included). I would ask that you sincerely revisit a change back to this calendar - please listen to the majority!
Erica Cherian

2011-02-28 23:19

Many of the students at my school are complaining about the way that the board members have voted on this calendar.They did not even pause to think about how this affects the students. Having a break every month or so is a great stress reliver and removes a lot of the pressure put on students these days. I believe that they should have voted for the August 1st calendar because this year has been one of the best years in terms of how much stress the students have to shoulder.
Concerned parent

#488 Bring back the balanced calendar!!

2011-02-28 23:22

It is an eye opener when you go to www.cobbk12.org and see the calendar survey results! The calendar the board members voted in is actually the LEAST favorite of the 3 presented! I want to know what White Water and Six Flags had to do with this! What is more important...helping these companies with employment issues OR making sure the children of the county that they are suppose to represent succeed!
Shannon DeSantis

2011-02-28 23:42

the point of the survey was to see the majority of the vote. the board members are supposed to be our voice. why are we electing people who will not be our voice. if 70% of parents, students, and employees like the august 1st schedule...then why do we have board members who aren't being our voice? also, the students in many AP and honors classes are working very hard, learning curriculum that was once taught to students 3 years older than them. it is getting very challenging and overwhelming for those students...the breaks are needed.
Mackenzie Stone

#490 Ignoring What The People Want

2011-03-01 00:19

This is an example of where the people should have a say in what happens. Supposedly part of the reason for retreating from the three-year plan for the August 1st calendar was the will of large summer-based companies. Shouldn't the most inmportant aspect when making decisions about education be those educated, which are the affected students? An approximate number I have heard, and that appears so far to be backed up by this very petition, was 70% in favor of the August 1st calendar. If the board's plan was to disregard the survey taken, it makes no sense to take it in the first place. It is as if they only took a survey to give the appearance of democracy, when they had intended to follow their decision from the beginning. They took a gamble for the public support of the community of students and involved parents, and they lost. While they should be losing with grace and dignity, they instead decided to sweep this unsightly situation under the rug, hoping that nobody notices their metaphorical feet protruding out from under the curtain of obscurity.

Abigail Griffin

2011-03-01 00:41

The school board has gone against the people, and this calender should be changed. The school year is stressful and students need a break. Moreover, this was official for three years and now it has been changed. It's not right. I have not heard from one person who is accepting of this new calender. Plus, getting out two days before Christmas is absurd. Now, even though not everyone is Christian, this is extremely inconvenient for everyone. Another thing that is absurd is going from September to November with two days of break! Two days! Then, this happens again from January to April. Who cares about August? We want breaks in the middle of the year!!!! Politicians are wrong to go against the people and I am very greatful to my district representative for voting for the balanced school year.

Thank you
Anthony

#492 Horrible

2011-03-01 00:44

Change it back for the people!!
Fiona

#493 Re: The New Old calendar

2011-03-01 00:45

#27: Roxanne Lopez - The New Old calendar 

I totally agree we should boycott the dive that is six flags - not just for those 2 weeks but folks should NOT buy a season pass either -  Why has NO ONE at Six Flags stepped forward and backed the parents - now that would be impressive ?

FYI - This Six Flags is THE most profitable in the WHOLE USA.

#494 Re: actions of the Board

2011-03-01 00:47

#476: Martha Sexton - actions of the Board 

Totally agree Martha  - has anyone complained to SACS yet and asked that our board be investigated?

vanessa ross

2011-03-01 01:54

I would like this calendar changed. It is more convenient for my children who both attend Cobb County schools.
Robin Speir

#497 Listen to the people of Cobb County

2011-03-01 02:03

You asked for a vote on a survey and you have ignored it. You need to listen to what the people want and not fit your personal motives!
Concerned parent!!!

#498 Re: Ignoring What The People Want

2011-03-01 02:04

#490: Mackenzie Stone - Ignoring What The People Want 

I tried to think of how to best show my displeasure of the calendar adoption, but you said it best!  I DITTO your post!

#499 Re: Re: The New Old calendar

2011-03-01 02:08

Jackson Sheu

2011-03-01 02:11

thanks for putting this together