Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

Arshia Rafiee

#551 August 1st calendar

2011-03-02 01:00

We want the August 1st calendar back
E Rackley

#552 August 1 Calendar

2011-03-02 01:02

By having the extra breaks spread out through the year it allows teacher and students to have periodic refreshing moments to allow for more active alert learning environment. I feel that this calendar has served everyone involved a healthy break in between all of hussle and bussle of the school weeks. Students come back more alert and ready to learn than before. Teacher and staff come back more refreshed and able to put forth their all for the sake of the students. All of these things together help to increase student progress which is the ULTIMATE GOAL of our schools!

#553 Re: lies

2011-03-02 01:10

#434: aandrea crook - lies 

Go anyway, what are they going to do?? Tell you no..

#554 Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 01:21

#432: Guest - Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

Angelucci won because she ran unopposed, all she needed was a couple of people to check her off by accident.  Not because of a platform or opinion.  I voted that day, and not for her.  A recall requires the officer to be in office a minimum of six months that has not happened yet.  Resignation would be appropriate at this point.  Mrs. Angelucci can feel free to pack her things and go now.

#555 Re: August 1 Calendar

2011-03-02 01:23

#552: E Rackley - August 1 Calendar 

Excellent point!

Extending upon it - more frequent breaks, summer's off, in-school training days, etc. - these concepts should be applied to:  the military, stock market, engineers, designers,  manufacturers, distributors, - everyone.  We all should enjoy this schedule.

#556 Re: Balance Calendar

2011-03-02 01:27

#543: Carol Kirkland - Balance Calendar 

the majority did win 4-3

the majority did win, they elected the 4

the survey was a joke - numerous teachers have admitted that they cheated (stuffing the ballot box)

the 4 did win

and they WILL continue to be our board for the next several years

as:  the majority won

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-03-02 01:29

Cathi Cahn

#558 School Calendar Cobb County

2011-03-02 01:50

I find it disheartening that the board would survey the parents, teachers and students then completely disregard the opinion of the majority of the people surveyed. The new calendar should remain in place for the three years that it was originally approved for to give it a fair chance. It's a good calendar that just had a few kinks to be worked out. It's easier for working parents to have a shorter summer and my kids seems to lose more skills over a long summer break than over shorter breaks spread throughout the year. Please reconsider.

#559 Re: Re: Balance Calendar

2011-03-02 01:54

77% still favored the balanced calendar after duplicate responses were removed.

61% still favored the calendar when NO CCSD computers were counted.

Pretty overwhelming.

My advice - don't plan anything for the first week in August.

This is far from over.

#560 Re: School Calendar Cobb County

2011-03-02 02:05

#558: Cathi Cahn - School Calendar Cobb County 

Not just majority opinion ... but "overwhelming" majority. Remind me again what % of the survey respondents supported the "rogue 4"'s strong armed calendar?

#561 Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 02:08

#554: Guest - Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

She beat opposition in the primary that supported the balanced calendar

Which way did you vote in that election?

#562 Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not just to Erica, but everybody.

2011-03-02 02:39

#546: Tired of Complaints - Re: Re: Re: This is not just to Erica, but everybody. 

Ahem....once again, you cannot back up your own argument.  I know of 3 places within 2 miles of the school my children attend that held "Winter Break" camps.  Please try to understand this...if you want to say that schools are for "free childcare" then teachers provide you "free childcare" 180 days per year.  The other days are up to the parents to take care of.  If school begins on August 17th instead of August 1st, you mommy and daddy will have to find some place to take you.

#563 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not just to Erica, but everybody.

2011-03-02 02:40

#549: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not just to Erica, but everybody.

All daycares and summer camp programs have offered the same activities the weeks in September and February. There are always older children who are willing to make a little extra those weeks...THERE IS NO EXCUSE! My husband and I both work and we had no problem finding childcare. Would you like a list of what is available?

BTW....THROUGHT is not a word...spell check

Cobb teacher and parent

#564 Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 03:08

She does not represent my post. I am very happy with my BOE member, Mrs. Eagle, who always values the opinions of teachers. Please also remember that when the primaries were held - people had not yet experienced the balanced calendar and some were unsure about it. After the September break - most of those people were converted and now love the balanced calendar. In addition, all of the new members are Republicans - my dog could have been elected this past November if she ran as a Republican. Do you not watch the news?

Jane Quinn

#565 School Schedule

2011-03-02 03:57

Please keep the calendar the same as the 2010/2011 school year.
Thank You

#566 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 04:02

#564: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

I for one don't watch the news at all.  That is sooo 20th century. 

I'm also glad those republicans elected a democrat as their chair (and a teacher at that).

I thought teachers were opposed to the wild accumulation of unusued vacation days that administrators get - funds that can be used to avoid RIF's, etc.  It doesn't seem like she cared about the teachers on this issue.

#567 Re: Teacher Position

2011-03-02 04:23

#526: - Teacher Position 

Yes!  After what happened last spring, teachers are in fear for their jobs every day.  Many would be afraid to sign their name to a petition voicing an opinion for fear of retaliation from administration.

Valerie Agramonte

#568 August 1 Start Date

2011-03-02 04:41

We want our balanced calendar back!
Robert Byrd III

#569 Balanced Calendar...

2011-03-02 04:53

It's a shame that the majority of parents, students, employees and citizens voted on the survey in favor of the balanced calendar schedule and then the school board changed it to what they wanted anyway. This was supposed to be a 3-year trial of that calendar and we didn't even finish one full year. Very regrettable!
Cobb teacher and parent

#570 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 04:56

Yes and the way they elected her chair was just as shady as all of these other backdoor deals they've been making. The fact that she is a teacher - makes her actions and the way she has insulted the teachers of Cobb even more despicable.

#571 where is everyone?

2011-03-02 05:59

If there were 80,000 votes for the balanced calendar, why does this petition have fewer than 4,000 signatures?

#572 Re: where is everyone?

2011-03-02 07:04

I guess it's because we have no way of putting it out there for all to see like the survey. Wish it could be put on the school website. I'm sure there would be more then.
Cobb teacher and parent

#573 Re: Re: where is everyone?

2011-03-02 12:06

#572: Guest - Re: where is everyone? 

Unable to communicqte about it over school email.

Cobb teacher and parent

#574 Re: Re: Re: where is everyone?

2011-03-02 12:55

#575 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 13:42

#570: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

Shady?  All laws regarding open meetings, pre-notification, etc. were followed.

- Unlike the open meetings laws that were violated by the prior board - and called out by the citizens in the Grand Jury

- Eagle couldn't even bother herself to attend the swearing-in ceremony where board members discussed the meeting

- Eagle then couldn't bother herself to attend the next meeting - I guess she was too busy listening to the teachers and valuing their concerns (I'm sorry that may have been the meeting she missed because she said she had a yoga class then)

It's sad how catty some teachers can be.