Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

#401 Re: Re: Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

2011-02-25 23:22

#402 Re: Re: Keep August 15th. FIX CHRISTMAS BREAK

2011-02-25 23:23

#403 Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-25 23:24

#101: Guest - Re: people need breaks? 

you poor baby

bless your heart

#404 Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-25 23:27

#132: Guest - Re: people need breaks? 

you poor baby

bless your heart

#405 Re: Re: Re: Survey is not a vote

2011-02-25 23:35

#188: Guest - Re: Re: Survey is not a vote 

This is the most intelligent and appropriate input I have seen anywhere.

Thank you!

Rachel Scott

#406 CCSD Calendar for 2011-2012

2011-02-25 23:59

The Aug 1st start date is what is best for children. It allows breaks for students along the way instead of one massive break where students forget much of the learned material. Either calendar has the same number of days out of school for parents so childcare cost are the same either way.
What has Six Flags or White Water done for Cobb County Schools? What school are they a Partner of Education with... No school!
They care nothing for your children!
Bring back the balanced calendar!

#407 Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 00:00

#372: 4 B C - Re: people need breaks? 

Said very nicely!!  I am an elementary teacher, I get to work at 6:40 every day of the week and work (at school) until 4:30 every day except Friday!  That is 10 minutes shy of 10 hours a day I am at school.  Like you, I come home and do lesson plans, update my website, e-mail parents, search for Promethean lessons online, grade papers, do the weekly homework calendar, make tests, cut lamination...I work at the very least one hour at home every night but it's usually two hours. I stay two weeks at school after the kids last day doing report cards, filing papers, doing portfolios that will go with my students to the next grade, packing, cleaning, and I report two weeks before the students first day preparing for the first day and sneak a peak BECAUSE our "pre-planning" days are filled with meetings and trainings.   I keep up with my hours (at school and home).  This year,  Week 1 - 62 hours.  Week 2 - 59 hours. Week 3 - 64 hours.   I haven't worked under 40 hours a week at all this year.  My lowest week was 46.5.  The proposed calendar will cause much burnout...

#408 Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 00:31

Katia Chatillon

#409 Change of calendar

2011-02-26 01:30

The present calendar was previously voted for the 3 coming years, during which studies should show if this balanced calendar was more beneficial for the students. It is deeply regrettable not to wait for the data.
Are you worried?

#410 Re: Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 01:33

#408: Guest - Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

How old are you two?  Why don't you try a mature, logical dabate--or do you not have one?

disgruntled

#411 Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 01:53

#407: Bring back the balanced calendar! - Re: Re: people need breaks?

They have fired us--then rehired some.  They have cut our pay 2%.  They have given us our raises 5 months late.  They have furloughed us 3 days.  They have made us pay more for health benifits (most on a calendar with an August 15th start date I might add).  They have asked us to do more with less.  All we asked for in return was a reasonable calendar with some breaks for us and our students.  This would make our lives and the lives of our students a little less stressful.  What did we get?  A sharp stick on our eye.  Thank you Cobb County School Board!

#412 Re: Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 02:59

#411: disgruntled - Re: Re: Re: people need breaks? 

You poor baby.   Bless your heart.

God forbid that teachers (god's give to mankind, the untouchables, the intellects behind changing the spelling of benefits to benifits, etc.) share a fate similiar to the rest of the economy.

#413 Enough!

2011-02-26 03:15

I do not think we need to be attacking each other~ this isn't a parent vs teacher issue!!! The majority of parents, teachers and students all agreed on the balanced calendar~ the bottom line and issue here is the voices of CC were ignored! Now, what can we do together to fix this?

#414 Re: Enough!

2011-02-26 03:34

#413: - Enough! 

Nothing.  The vote has been taken.  There is no grounds for recall.

4 board members, who campaigned on a promise to change the calendar, were elected, did what they said they would do, and changed the calendar.  They made a big mistake in asking for an uncontrolled survey. 

There is no grounds for a recall.  Any attempt for a recall will only lead to one thing - loss of additional teacher jobs.  Teachers will likely loose jobs with the budget this year.  The board likely won't raise taxes to save jobs.  (Why should they - school performance has INCREASED since teachers have been put under greater pressure to perform in recent years).  Any money to defend a recall comes from - the general fund which pays teach salaries.

So, this cute little petition forum, facebook recall forums, etc. are used to let people rant about how mean the school board is to them.

So, by all means - keep up the ranting about how mean they are and how teaching is just an incredibly difficult job.   I feel bad for the vast majority of excellent teachers in Cobb that have to work with the whiners.

#415 Re: Re: Enough!

2011-02-26 03:51

#414: Guest - Re: Enough! 

Well, the vote HAD already been taken and the calendar voted in for 3 years... and that WAS changed. I must have missed it that this was just a forum for whining teachers!!

#416 Re: Re: Re: Enough!

2011-02-26 04:21

Last year's board was viewed by the electorate to be a failure. 2 board members knew they had failed and did not bother to run again. They were replaced by people who very clearly stated that they would change the calendar.

The cheerleader was also replaced by someone who clearly supported changing the calendar.

Surprise - the people of cobb county in all cases selected people who promised to change the calendar.
Surprise - they kept their promise.

How dare they. Let's recall them and start a petition.
Kay Knight

2011-02-26 04:28

I wasn't convinced I would like the balanced calendar at first but am amazed at the difference it has made for my students. Their burn out rate has dropped to NONE!!! They actually are ready to go back to school next week!! I could not say that in any previous February for the past 9 years. I am so disappointed with this change. It is a disservice for all Cobb students, teachers, and parents.

#418 Why all the arguing on a petition for a specific calendar?

2011-02-26 04:51

I do not understand why this has become a forum for argument. This is a petition set up for people who want the balanced calendar. If you don't agree, why are you here? If you want your voice heard why dont you start your own petition or go on the school board page and speak your mind? This has become completely ridiculous. Everyone has the right to state their opinion, but the arguing and trash talking is not helping anything. Quit the arguing already!!!

#419 Re: Why all the arging on a petition for a specific calendar?

2011-02-26 05:04

Concept:
If arguments in public forums (this is not the petition - it is the forum) disturb you - don't read them.

#420 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-26 05:12

What is a dabate?

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-02-26 05:46

#422 Re: Re: Re: Why all the arging on a petition for a specific calendar?

2011-02-26 05:58

Good for you.
lisa harden

#423 why

2011-02-26 06:09

why go to the time /cost of having a survey if the results do not matter?

#424 Re: Re: Re: Why all the arging on a petition for a specific calendar?

2011-02-26 06:14

Good for you.
Cobb parent and teacher

#425 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-26 14:07

To the person that keeps making so many rude comments - are you a child in CCSD (as your comments indicate) or a parent? If you are a parent - God help the teachers who have your children in class. If this is how you teach them to behave- they must be a nightmare. If you are unhappy with teachers in Cobb County - take a good look in the mirror. It is having to deal with people like you that causes good teachers to get so burned out and leave the profession. But I'm sure you don't care because obviously a good education is not your priority but being a jerk is at the top of your list.