Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

Cris

#451 Balanced School Year Calendar

2011-02-27 20:14

This school board should be recalled. The survey, which shows overwhelming support of the balanced school year calendar, indicates that the community, parents and students know what best supports student achievement and retention of basic skills than the school board. This is a shameful slap in the face to the voters who elected them.
Patti Greig

2011-02-27 20:15

Let the original vote stand.

#453 Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-02-27 20:35

#450: Guest - Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

the bottom-feeding teachers ranting at the board meetings

ironic

#454 Angelucci after the Nov. 2009 vote

2011-02-27 20:36

After the votes were cast and the calendar was approved, Angelucci said she was shocked not by the decision, but by the actions of the board. "I cannot tell you how astounded I was by the behavior I witnessed here today. In this instance, the decision for the balanced calendar was not a strategic choice for the well-being of the district," Angelucci said. "All school board decisions require analysis, the balancing of needs and concerns, and the ability to see the long-term implications of an action. There was nothing offered except subjective, personal opinions. I am at a loss as to what has happened to them as individuals and as a collective group."

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Parents vent anger...

This is a quote by Angelucci given to the MDJ after the November 2009 vote for the balanced calendar. It is Ironic that she did the same thing this year, to those in favor of the balanced calendar, that she complained the 2009 board did to her.

School Board why didn't you do some REAL analysis and a REAL survey before you voted?

#455 Re: Angelucci after the Nov. 2009 vote

2011-02-27 20:39

#454: ironic - Angelucci after the Nov. 2009 vote 

The "REAL survey" was conducted in November.

Amanda

2011-02-27 21:31

I haven't heard many people asking the STUDENTS about what they think on this issue. I'm a junior in high school and honestly I would much rather have breaks during the year (balanced schedule) and have a week off to recover from stressful weeks, than have more time during summer. By the time we get to August anyways we are all bored and almost ready to be back in school, so why not keep the breaks throughout the year when we all could really use them! That's just my point of view and that's not to mention the fact that they voted against a 3 year plan that had already been voted on, and went against the MAJORITY of the people's comments. What exactly is that supposed to be teaching kids in school's now? Our opinions DON'T matter?
Cobb parent

2011-02-27 23:00

It seems like a lot of people on this forum think that it filled with ONLY teachers. I am a parent of 3 Cobb students, work full time outside the school system and I support the balanced calendar. My family does not and cannot take a summer long vacation. My children are bored by the beginning of August and cant wait to get back to school to be with their friends. I also think that over the long break it is harder to get back on scedule. My husband and I worked all week and had a high school student help us with child care. Some people dont realize that the number of school days dont change with either calendar so the fuss about "what do I do with my kids" isnt a valid argument. School is not a child care facility...

#458 Re:

2011-02-27 23:00

#456: Amanda -  

Very good point...I wish more students would step up

Austin Wood

2011-02-27 23:56

Basically our vote didn't matter. You have no proof the calendar would change or hinder CRCT scores. Too many people also have deep pockets in this matter

#460 Re:

2011-02-28 00:31

very well said.....Hey parents as a teacher I am not your child's babysitter...

Charles

#461 School calendar

2011-02-28 03:02

Quite an interesting board assembled for Cobb County schools. If the same process used for the calendar is used on keeping members of the board together, I do not believe that it will be around very long in it's current state.

Please use logic and reason on the next vote that pertains to significant issues.
Adrienne Jackson

#463 Honor the Vote

2011-02-28 04:45

I voted for the 8/1 date and expect the Board to honor the outcome. More than 70% of those who voted in Cobb County also feel the same. It was an abuse of power to dishonor the voting results.
Cathy Berman

2011-02-28 05:36

Please change it back to the way it is this year. Thanks
Sharon Ryan

#465 We want a balanced calendar

2011-02-28 06:14

Give the balanced calendar a fair try. I can not believe certain board members would vote to change a calendar that is suppose to be in place for 3 years and that is supported by an overwhelming majority of teachers, students, and parents. Our family is seeing huge benefits with the balanced calendar. The much needed breaks allow us to focus on problem areas and recharge so that we can better focus during school. Please give the balanced calendar a fair try!!
Nathalie Anderson

#466 August 1st starting day of Cobb county schools

2011-02-28 13:36

My daughter is a senior this year and she benefited greatly of the new calendar.
We were able to visit universities during the October break and because she is an IB student, she has a lot of school work. She was able to regain some strength during the winter break.
Maura Watson

#467 Support of Aug. 1 calendar for Cobb Cnty Schools

2011-02-28 14:35

Cobb School Board,
Please take into consideration the proven, researched benefits of periodic breaks for both students & teachers as a way to improve acquisition of knowledge. With our fast-paced delivery of the Standards all parties wear down over time.

nancy sheahan

#468 school calendar

2011-02-28 14:50

We are tired of getting a new calendar EACH year and disrupting plans made in advance! PLEASE give at least a year warning on changes and allow the calendar to remain Aug. 1 for 2012.
sandra goldstein

#469 Democracy?

2011-02-28 14:52

Cobb Co. Board had us take a survey (that I'm sure "we the taxpayers" paid for) they should listen to "US" Isn't that our system of government? We were dictated to and that makes me angry and frankly a little scared, if they get away with it! It is a slap in the face.
Kim Roberts

#470 School Calendar

2011-02-28 14:52

The Balanced Calendar is not the calendar I originally voted for when the vote was first asked at least a year or two ago. I must say, I have since come to realize that there is less student angst waiting for a break, less disruptive student behavior before a break, and it seems that there is less teacher and student absenteeism due to being able to make dentist and regular doctor appointments during the breaks than during the school days. Happier students, happier teachers, and happier parents who can schedule those trips to Disney World without taking their children out of school for a week!
Billy Davis

#471 August 1st Calendar

2011-02-28 14:59

I find it absolutely disgusting that four of our elected school board members have taken it upon themselves to overrule the expressed desires of the constituents that they are supposed to be representing. Who do they think that they are? Why are they so out of touch? Perhaps recalls will help these four understand just what their real elected purpose was. At this point, they have lost all credibility with those that they are misrepresenting.
wilhelmenia greene

2011-02-28 15:19

Why have us vote, if you the Board had already decide you were going to change the calender. A waste of time.

#473 Calendar

2011-02-28 16:31

Not completing the set three-year plan to evaluate the balanced school plan is now invalid. Families will be challenged to make all kinds of decisions, especially if part of blended households, e g. one in Cobb and one in Cherokee. Businesses are the framework of society now, not agriculture when children/students were needed to harvest the crops. Technology is pushed to make students global learners. Therefore, adopt the schedule that is concurrent with the other business of the community and the one that was chosen by the people of Cobb county.

Dianne Harrison

#474 August 1st Cobb County School Start date

2011-02-28 16:35

We love this schedule. Having just completed a "winterbreak" for the first time, we WANT to keep it! What happened to the 3 year trail period we were promised?
waltraud dotson

#475 vote for early schoolstart,august1st

2011-02-28 16:39

I vote for the early school start as last school year for cobb county school district..and to keep the winter and fall break as we had it, thanks