Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

#301 Another family would like to be in sync with the rest of the country

2011-02-22 18:19

#289: 180 days of school no matter when we start - Re: Re: School calendar and the school system in general !

No - it's just one issue that many families deal with (not being able to see your extended family because of the conflicting schedules).  "punish every student"?? because they won't get week long breaks? My goodness.  And, July is not an option for many familes because of high school sports practices, band camp, etc.  (I think percussion and guard had to report on July 6th)

#302 Tax payers want balanced Cal, School Board says NO.

2011-02-22 18:28

I'd like to know who's interests the 4 board members are serving, among other items of interest.
Karen Wanke

#303 August 1 Calendar

2011-02-22 19:03

I am not opposed to moving the start date to 8/15. I am opposed to the Board disregarding the will of the public, and for not abiding by the 3-year calendar that was already in place.
jason h

#304 Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

2011-02-22 19:18

In a community that focuses more on the needs of a few than the needs of many, it is imperative that we realize what is most beneficial for the children. This should not be a matter of opinion, but of sound research into the functionality of our policies. Who is right and who is wrong is irrelevant. The effects of a balanced calendar should be thoroughly researched to ensure that it is not the best option before it is withdrawn. My research shows that several breaks between intense learning sessions are the most beneficial for young minds;
http://www.nayre.org/index.html
Andrew Fobes

#305 Re: Abuse

2011-02-22 19:48

#13: Blake Tippens - Abuse

I completely agree with Blake's statement

#306 Re: Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

2011-02-22 20:12

#304: jason h - Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

Needs of a few?  Isn't that the argument Fred Sanderson used for needing to align the calendar with the college calendar?  We have students who are on dual enrollment.  An how many of those students are there?  The colleges start mid-August.  The colleges are not off in September and they are not off this week.  They also are not off during our Spring Break, but have their own spring break.

Football and marching band (last I checked, every high school has a football team and a marching band) start a minimum of two weeks (and often three weeks) before teachers report.  And they practiced during the September break.  We had to cut our "summer" vacation short (yes, we had our "summer" vacation in September because there was no time left in the summer to take it) to get our daughter back for her practices.  And college kids can't go on vacation with their families in September and February.  But with more time in the summer, they could go with them then.  While teachers have "all summer" (not really because we are planning for the upcoming year, taking classes, etc.), other family members have time constraints on their ability to take a vacation at a particular time.  Less weeks for vacation time for all the employees to schedule their vacations.

Ann Bowes

#307 August 1st calendar

2011-02-22 20:15

I feel that the calendar needs to have been left alone. It was voted on for 3 years, then we had an opportunity to voice our choice and that voice was not heard. Please stop messing with things that have already been voted on.
Thank you.
Beatrice Washington

#308 Calendar

2011-02-22 20:24

I thought the calendar was voted on for 2 years. How can they go back and change this. We should have this calendar at least for the time agreed and then revote.
Shreyas Desai

#309 Balance Calender

2011-02-22 21:00

It is ashamed that 4 out of 7 board member go against the teachers, students, parents and administrator's wishes. I am also sad by the vote of the cobb superintendant Fred Sanderson who is a former educator as well as principle. Shame on you. Education is a business not academics. It is all of about saving money and cutting cost with education money. This is the reason Georgia is in the bottom of the barrel when it comes to education.

#310 Re: Balance Calender

2011-02-22 21:18

#309: Shreyas Desai - Balance Calender

I think Fred wanted the balanced calendar.

Liz Lea

2011-02-22 22:55

I think that the balanced calendar is great, but I really dislike the students going to school on Dec. 23rd for the new calendar. It is going to result in numerous absences that week. It will mean we can't make it to our families who live out of town for Christmas.

#312 Change the Calendar Back To The Balanced Calendar

2011-02-22 23:19

The balanced calendar was supposed to be in place for three years; it should have never been changed. This is the first strike to the board. The people were given a pole which showed that the majority of people in Cobb county want the balanced calendar. This is the second strike against the board because it is their job to respect the people's needs and ideas, which they did not. The new calendar does not respect want the people need, want, and think. An example of this is the fact that the students will gat out of school the day before Christmas eve. I think the board members should be put out of office and the calendar should be changed.
SAHM

#313 Very Happy With The Decision The "4" made

2011-02-22 23:52

My entire family and friends all were happy to hear they came up with August 15th. You dont see as many people on here agreeing with it because they are too busy working! I just found out about this page today! This has nothing to do with kids getting breaks, its about all the lazy ass parents who dont want to get up early in the mornings. Im a SAHM and I hate getting up early too, but I also enjoy having longer summers.
Cobb parent

#314 Re: Re: Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

2011-02-23 00:18

#306: Guest - Re: Show results of factual research backing the decision to withdraw the balanced calendar.

Football and marching band (last I checked, every high school has a football team and a marching band) start a minimum of two weeks (and often three weeks) before teachers report.  And they practiced during the September break.  We had to cut our "summer" vacation short (yes, we had our "summer" vacation in September because there was no time left in the summer to take it) to get our daughter back for her practices.  And college kids can't go on vacation with their families in September and February.  But with more time in the summer, they could go with them then.  While teachers have "all summer" (not really because we are planning for the upcoming year, taking classes, etc.), other family members have time constraints on their ability to take a vacation at a particular time.

I want to agree with the Guest above - and to Jason h - the lack of evidence for academic acheivement (with the balanced calendar) is exactly what many parents were concerned with when the last board went against the wishes of their constituents. There is strong evidence that a more traditional year, later start, less breaks is better for academic success. 

Heather Perry

#315 Thank you for this petition

2011-02-23 00:36

I completely filled disrespected of my decision for the Aug. 1st calendar. Moreover, I don't like the fact that white Water and Six Flags have an influence on our boards decision. Our family will not be going to those parks this year and guaranteed, this will weigh my decision for the next board election. Good luck.

#316 What?

2011-02-23 00:43

I get up @ 5:45 AM and voted for Aug. 1st. I don't think you have an educated response.
Seeing red, hopping mad.

#317 Publicity

2011-02-23 01:01

I would cover it if I were a video reporter.

Especially given the results of the citizens Poll/Survey. That survey even took into account multiple votes per one IP address and bumped those down to 2, even though an IP may've been from a public location such as say, DD, Metanoya, Krystals, Starbucks, etc., and much more than 2 could have been legitimate. Even after bumping such votes down to only 2, it was an overwhelming "victory" to keep the balanced calendar, August 1 start date.

Had this been an election, it would have been a land-slide. This is a bread and butter type of story for local news. Results of Poll, Next the final tally of this petition, and then go to the 4, I shall call them dissenting board members because they are dissenters as far as we are concerned. Their lack of consideration for we the invested citizens of Cobb County, is blatant, and I'm sure we'd all like to know why they voted against, publicly.

This is COBB COUNTY-- and we parents and our kids, and our teachers, teacher/parents- make this district the high achieving district that it generally is.
That four board members chose to completely ignore most of our wishes, morally and ethically speaking, borders on criminal behaviour. Their actions are anti-American, and most certainly anti-democratic.

The Cobb County school board has shown us that this is about four morally bankrupt, deaf and blind, board members and their political shenanigans. Four board members who do more harm than good, and make decisions based upon nothing that matters to us, but only, to them selves, and those who stand to profit from such a decision. They have little to no regard, for what is best for the students, parents, teachers, administrators, and frankly, the performance and achievement of our children and young teens.

PARENTS, STUDENTS, TEACHERS, SUPPORT STAFF, ADMINISTRATORS ARE WHAT MAKE COBB COUNTY SCHOOLS OUTSTANDING IN THIS OTHERWISE ACADEMICALLY MEDIOCRE STATE. FOUR COBB COUNTY BOARD MEMBERS REALLY DON'T CARE THAT THIS IS IN FACT THE TRUTH, AND WHAT WE WANT DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM.

2011-02-23 01:19

She needs to go!
Michelle King

#319 August 1st Start Date

2011-02-23 01:27

It's a proven fact that money was saved in terms of substitute teachers not being used as much since teachers used the fall and winter break to make appts. Busses didn't run for two weeks and air and heat were saved in the month of Sept and Feb. This to me is a no brainer. Staudents and teachers are more rested from not going so long w/o a break. Please bring back the balanced calendar!
Valerie Agramonte

#320 Bring our Balanced Calendar Back!

2011-02-23 01:44

Thank you for this petition!
let the kids decide

#321 what about the kids

2011-02-23 01:46

Let's let the kids decide. They have to be in school 180 days no matter how they distribute them. What do the REAL stake holders think? They voted 79.2% in favor of the August 1st start. Did they cheat on the "monkey survey" over a calendar?
Dan Perry

#322 Vote the board members OUT that want to change the schedule !!

2011-02-23 02:38

The board made a commitment to a 3 year schedule. This needs to be adhered to or they that voted to break this commitment WILL BE RELIEVED of their duties !!
Stephanie Burke

#323 2011-2012 & 2012-2013 calendars

2011-02-23 03:19

When the decision for a balanced calendar was announced last school year, we were told it would be in effect for three years. Why the reversal now? Please listen to the parents' and teachers' opinions.

#324 Voting on a county computer

2011-02-23 03:20

I voted more than once on the same county computer. A facebook friend, encouraging everyone to vote for August 1st, posted that it was possible to vote more than once by using Internet Explorer, then Firefox.  I was sure it would not work, but it did.  I was absolutely not the only one. I saw no correction for duplication on county computers listed in the results on the webpage. I hope this puts to rest the validity of the survey.

#325 Re: Vote the board members OUT that want to change the schedule !!

2011-02-23 03:37

#322: Dan Perry - Vote the board members OUT that want to change the schedule !!

The previous board negated the existing calendar for 2010-2011.  How is this any different from what they did last year?