Save Newmarket Stables, Durban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Newmarket Stables, Durban.

2015-08-06 07:45

Because the riding fraternity deserves to be heard, consulted and respected.
The riders, grooms and horses should also have their place in the Durban metro and be respected and protected.
These are real people, wit real dreams and needs and real live animals that depend on us humans to take good care of them.
Not inanimate objects to be discarded when it doesn't 'suit' certain constituencies.

2015-08-06 07:46

Newmarket stables go back to my childhood competing with our pony club. It would be a shame to take this privilege away from the area!

2015-08-06 07:47

This situation can easily happen with the DA controlled CofCT/WC Provincial Government over any sporting facility that is currently "owned"/managed by them. There is no budget or planning in place to replace these facilities - which is also a Municipal/Local Government responsibility. George Riding Club is under similar threat as is Bloekombos Off Road Track and Killarney Motor track - Tableview/Milnerton and Milnerton Riding Club as far as I know. All Sports Codes should be aware of what they are investing sponsors/their own money into their facilities when they have no tenure lease or undertakings that their investment is secure. 9/10th of the law is possession and the Landlord owns all improvements - so maybe sports people should look to their legal interests more diligently?

2015-08-06 08:02

After a century - workers who have dedicated their lives to the industry are out of a job. Horses who have done so much to rehabilitate children and help to give confidence and meaning to life are now doomed. Children's dreams shattered!!!

So disappointing - I thought the lease was for 99 years - oh but forgot that things are so manipulated these days to suit certain people

2015-08-06 08:10

Surely the Stables after over 100 years can co exist with a soccer stadium.They are both great sports, why destroy one for the other ?

2015-08-06 08:15

If we don't make a stand now, soon there will be nowhere left for our sport to go.

2015-08-06 08:33

All sporting activities are good for the growth and development of children - football is a fabulous sport - but it is a physically elite sport - only those with talent will end up in a Football Academy. Riding encompasses so many more children - particularly those with both physical and mental difficulties. BOTH facilities should be available to the community.

2015-08-06 09:20

I'm Love Horses and I ride Horses too. Good Luck I Hope Yous save this stable!!!!!

2015-08-06 09:32

So much support and govenment sponsorship for soccer in this country! But harldy anything for equestrian sports, yet the equestrian industry helps create employement, and so much more! Find a venue do not break down a long existing business revenue! In our troubled ecomonic times really?

2015-08-06 09:45

The horse has been an integral part of human development and the relationship should be continued at all opportunities. All sections of society benefit from this Newmarket facility in multiple ways and it would be tragic to loose a heritage. Soccer colleges can be built in many other places.

2015-08-06 09:57

comunication between animals and humans is a necessity which this place provides ..

2015-08-06 09:57

I think it is important to keep this facility open for the children of all races in Durban who would not have the opportunity to learn to ride elsewhere. Plus the police horses - where else will they be based?

2015-08-06 11:05

Horses and riding can be enjoyed by all ages, genders, races
of the poulation, a football academy will only contribute to a small sector of the general population.

2015-08-06 11:20

How many more soccer stadiums do we need??! I believe we cannot even maintain half of the ones already in existence!!! This will just be another case where money can be "redirected" to a few privileged individuals, who get the contracts and deliver a shitty end product.!!

2015-08-06 11:26

To save the future of the people who work there and there families and all the animals concerned.

2015-08-06 13:31

Que os cavalos continuem por sua vida magestosa!!! <3 <3 <3

2015-08-06 14:22

There are Soccer stadiums in Umlazi, Chatsworth Hammarsdale, Kwa Mashu, Pmb, Durban's Moses Mistake Stadium, right in DUrban. Why would The Municipality of Durban - who we employ - want another waste of Rate payers money? To remove a successful Stable Club that caters for the Rainbow nation and disabled riders, cycle stadium and the Market that employs a vast number of people seems rather like Nepotism and the usual corruption we South African people have to tolerate.

2015-08-06 14:35

I grew up in Durban and learned to ride at Newmarket Stables almost 40 years ago. I qualified as a vet in 1991 and was the vet at Newmarket Stables until 1995 when I left to work in the UK. It is an institution which should not demolished.

2015-08-06 17:01

Hundreds of lives will be affected in a terrible way!

2015-08-06 17:06

I hope we can help the stable. :)

2015-08-06 17:23

Because Horses deserve to have a great life!! Because they helped get mankind established as work animals to help plow the fields for our crops so that we could eat, and they also were our first form of transportation and still are for the Amish. So to shut down the stables and put these magnificent animals down would be a Crime. A SIN in my books. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

2015-08-07 04:09

bc i love horses

2015-08-07 05:04

We are Horse lovers as my Father use to own Racehorses and my daughter has her own horse with whom she trains and competes in shows doing eventing, dressage, showjumping.ILL Dottore is simply the most amazing animal and so so much a part of our family!!! The Horse has changed many lives, young and old for the better.

2015-08-07 05:26

A few years ago ... bye bye snake park ... now the Stables ... what's next The Shark Tank?, Mangrove Swamps? ... eThekwini please stop destroying the diversity of our beautiful city ... a place where no matter what your passion is, you can pursue it. 

2015-08-07 07:50

I do not want the stable to close and it's wrong. I am against it what about all those jobs, dreams, the animal welfare that will be compromised? No they must find another place. no no no