NATCON PETITION

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NATCON PETITION.

Brad

#51 Current Pets

2014-02-05 06:31

If the proposed legislation goes through what will happen to our existing pets ? It is one thing not been allowed to buy new pets but another not been allowed to look after the pets we already have and care for.
What will the process and cost be to apply for a permit to keep the pets I already have?

2014-02-05 07:05

Thid is a thoughtless and rash desision. Natcon would rather kill an industry that let us keep animals that scare them.

2014-02-05 07:09

The local governments are incompetent and it will take extra resources which they should allocate to improving the existing service delivery. They cannot even read the electric meters every month and this will just allow for more bribery. It is also aimed at the white part of the population as 90% of this law will affect affluent white people. Black people do not keep exotic animals as conservation does not concern them. It is not part of their culture.

2014-02-05 07:16

If it was not for the co-operation and education we get from the reptile keepers, there would be no reptiles in this country as they are usually killed on sight. An escaped exotic does far less damage than lack of education on our natural resources.

2014-02-05 07:19

My animals are my children and just like any other parent would fight to the bitter end for their kids so will I, and I am sure there are many more out there that feel the same as I do. Just because we love reptiles and arachnids and all the other "unusual" critters doesn't mean we love other animals less. Why are people allowed to have exotic fish, dogs and cats but we have to give up our babies? I love my animals, take good care of them and love them with everything I am!

2014-02-05 07:31

Why are they wanting to pass such a Law as most of the people who have such reptiles love them and care for them and what adverse effects keeping them have been found! We have no heard of any deaths! Do existing pet lovers get permits ? Who is going to gain from such a law? ? What is going to happen to all the confiscated reptiles? Are they going to be "put down" like the S P C A does to the animals that are not adopted? ? ?

2014-02-05 07:49

I do not agree on this new law of not keeping exotics,this will affect me bad
singkawangex

#58 kontol lo negro

2014-02-05 08:39

Tarantula biarin dijual beli asal di ksh makan minum. Dasar negro tot. Ngapain lo ngalangin org piara tarantula. Di indo lg di.breet tau.

2014-02-05 08:51

So now we are to become criminals if we don't get rid of our pets. To obtain a permit is going to cost an arm and leg as well as all the hassle going from office to office to find a knowledgeable informed person.

2014-02-05 08:52

I think this is a very big hobby, and a lot of people make a living from it by breeding and selling these so-called alien species. By banning these species everyone would be deprived of the opportunity to see and observe these amazing animals in real life. I also think that future generations will benefit a lot from having these animals around and studying them in an environment that is safe for both the animals and people. If NATCON's aim is to prevent the abuse of these animals, the should start an organization similar to the SPCA. Forcing all hobbyists to get permits for their animals won't help either.

2014-02-05 08:58

In it's current form, this law makes no sense and seems more like a first draft. Insectivorous pets are allowed, but their food is not? On what basis were the prohibited tarantula species prohibited? Do cats and dogs also now need to be on permit?
The list goes on. This law is in urgent need of revision.

2014-02-05 09:17

Trade in captive bred animals should not be a problem as long as its done with ethics.
Edward Seaborne

2014-02-05 09:18

I am not against the keeping of animals under permit, but the outright ban is ridiculous. This does not only have an affect on the exotic pets, but it also has an effect on the keepers and breeders of certain birds. Please revise this and make the right decision.
silkworm

#64 a joke

2014-02-05 09:32

Really? You want to ban silworms? FOR HOW MANY YEARS HAVE WE KEPT SILKWORMS?AND OUR CHILDREN HAVE KEPT SILKWORMS,yet after all these years,is there a negative impact on the ecology? I think not.. keeping these critters,Wich include tarantulas snakes etc teaches parents and kids alike how to care for something else,and not just for oneself. And crickets? How are the people gonna feed their spiders etc? The government makes no sense..

2014-02-05 09:45

It seems that you guys does not have work !!!!! What about our Rhinos which are nearly extinct !!!!! and what about the idiots in natcom that helps killing our animals . Now you want to enforce this law !!!! Please wake up People . You have time too think this nonsense out , while there is for every minute a Rhino killed !!!! and what are you doing about this ?????? Absolutely nothing , what about the Zoos , and dangerous creatures in Durban are they also going to abide by the law ????

2014-02-05 09:54

It is totally ridicules... Come on now people... Seriously...

2014-02-05 11:19

I cannot believe that this country can be so stuffed up, they have much bigger problems to tackle than young South Africans keeping pets and making a living for themselves rather than claiming unemployment and living off the government.

2014-02-05 11:22

Write a comment...I cannot believe this shit don't they other thing to worry about like our rhinos now they come up with this shit

2014-02-05 11:25

I am against the petition. Please don't do this our lives revolve around these spectacular animals. Personally life would not be the same for me without my reptiles. Breeding and caring for these animals is my purpose in this life please don't take this away

2014-02-05 11:53

I think this is bull shit. These so to say environmental experts should stop the locals in killing all anomals here. Take the log out of your own fucking eye and fix things here first. Stupid fucking government.
Fed-up

#71 100% against the proposed legislation

2014-02-05 12:07

You people must think, there are people that really love these creatures as pets. If you start banning everything, more and more people will start to do things illegally, and our jails are full and churches empty. Go after all the dog abusers and child molesters and leave our pets alone, we are fed-up will all the childish stuff you guys are trying to implement, and make real issues a priority.

#72 Re:

2014-02-05 12:33

#23: -

Dit gaan die probleem van onwettige diere net aanhelp, daar is mense wat vir alle diere omgee, en dis nie hulle wat dit onwettig gaan doen nie, maar deur hierdie wette in te bring, gaan slegs veroorsaak dat daar meer en meer onwettig in die handel van hierdie diere gaan plaasvind

8 Pootjies

#73 LIEF MY GOGGAS!!!!!

2014-02-05 13:17

Hierdie nuwe wetgewing is so onvanpas. Almal van ons is lief vir ons kruipende goggas en sal enigiets doen om hulle te beskerm! Ons mishandel hulle nie, stel hul nie bloot aan "hondegevegte" nie ens. Dit is absoluut belaglik! Soveel troeteldier eienaars en telers gaan duisende rande verloor as hierdie wetgewing aanvaar word. Dink nugter oor die saak asb! Moenie ons liefde vir die handewerk van Onse God van ons weg neem nie!!!!!!!

2014-02-05 14:19

dont they want to come and fetcch out cats and dogs as well

2014-02-05 15:28

Very interesting to see that most of this legislation comes word for word out of the Northern Cape act which is already law.