We Support Open School

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition We Support Open School.

2014-06-02 15:59

All 3 of my now adult children attended the Open Charter School. The OCS experience provided each of my children with a solid educational and social foundation which enabled them to obtain their college degrees and become productive human beings. I am still connected with the school as a supporter of the school and it's programs.
Matt Beard

#27 I wish I would have gone here as a child...

2014-06-02 16:19

I grew up in Los Angeles, as an only child, with divorced parents.
I went to Montessori schools, as well as schools in both LAUSD and Culver City School district.
Even was part of the G.A.T.E. program...
I can honestly say that I wish I had the opportunity to attend Open Magnet Charter School, as I believe it would have changed my initial outlook and understanding of what a community of respect really means.
I wasn't taught to effectively share, to collaborate, and to teach (as well as learn) with my fellow students.
I wasn't taught to effectively listen, although I was 'told' to listen many times. LOL.

This is the quality of education, and life lessons I see happening every day at Open. The unyielding dedication of the teachers, staff, volunteers, students and alumni truly shape this school and make it the one-of-a-kind Oasis it is today.

My own perspective has changed since my children started attending Open.
It's rubbed off on me.
Even with the minimal amount of volunteer work I am able to do (and am striving to do more), I've started understanding what it all means...
Being part of a community. Learning to respect yourself, as well as others and the world around you. Seeing the symbiotic relationship between our own actions, and the effect those actions have on others.

Our kids get this immersion, and interaction 5 days a week at Open.

It's a humbling experience when (during a stressful moment, or conflict) your own child proves to be "the bigger person"...
...and the parent (who hasn't had the same education and experience) becomes the pupil.

I know I'm becoming a better person everyday, because of Open, and I can only imagine what my children's future (and the future of their community) will be like.

...for 'Anonymous' (who likely isn't as anonymous as s/he may think)...
Of course Open isn't for everyone...
You can't please all the people all the time.
However...becoming a part of Open School is a CHOICE, not a requirement.
People are here, because they want to be here.
They see the potential in their kids, and in their future.
They took the time to research, apply, and wait anxiously for their names to be drawn out of a lottery.
Its not a fluke...
It's not a home-school...
It's not mandatory.

If Open is not a good fit for 'Anonymous'...well, they do have the choice to leave and find something that suits them better.
Heck, I'm betting the rest of the school would be happy to throw them a wonderful "Bon-Voyage and Best Wishes" going away party.
Maybe even make them a nice t-shirt.
...maybe.
Genie Gleeson

2014-06-02 17:18

I feel compelled to add something here in light of the unpleasant anonymous comments posted here. We had 3 children at Open over a course of 11 years. I am also a product of the LAUSD schools and magnet program. Everyday I am grateful that my kids had the chance to be at such an amazing place! I think it is THE gem of LAUSD and I can't speak highly enough about this school AND it's amazing teachers and staff. Frankly the negative comments are astounding to me! I have never known any teacher or staff member to be anything other that extraordinary: in their thoughtfulness, passion, desire to postively impact each and every student. They are tireless professionals who have nothing but our children's best interest in their hearts and minds! Unlike these folks who do not even have the courage to put their real name behind their words, who seem to have nothing but some ego driven agenda to forward. Really, if you are going make wild accusations about Open School policies and staff, don't hide behind anonymity. We see here a great outpouring of support for this school, for good reason. Most are happy. And as others have pointed out, if it's not a good fit for your child or your family, then yes-you have lots of options. Leave Open and make room for some of the folks who are dying to get there child in!

2014-06-03 01:06

Both my grandchildren attended the Open School and I found the school and especially the outstanding teaching staff at the school supportive and caring of the students. The school has an innovative curriculum and creates a wonderful, warm learning environment for all young people. I am appalled that an annonymous letter could create such havoc.
Anyone who refuses to sign their name to a letter doesn't deserve to have their children at such a school. Perhaps it's time for them to leave.