Dress Code Swampscott Middle School

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Dress Code Swampscott Middle School.

2015-04-15 23:26

Someone told me too

2015-04-15 23:33

Girls should be allowed to wear what ever we want. Not like really short shorts I get that. but to the knee that's ridiculous. I think one of the major reasons is because if we show alittle skin that can be a distraction for boys. We want and deserve the same amount of privileges as these boys at our school. We show alittle bit of our thigh and then the boys must go crazy. That is saying that you value boys education more that girls. we will get sent home for our shorts being too short or a shirts hanging too low. Instead of telling girls so change what we are wearing teach boys to not sexulize us. thank you.

2015-04-16 00:41

Honestly with this dress code change I don't have any spring clothes that I won't be too hot in! My mom brought me all new spring clothes!!! What am I supposed to wear now, if anyone knows where I can get dress code appropriate clothes please lmk in the comments because no store I know sells knee high shorts!! Im sorry but I'm not wearing basketball shorts to school Id rather be sent home everyday than wear something that Im not myself in! Im sorry but this is ridiculous if we are distraction to boys maybe they are the problem not us! 

2015-04-16 00:43

This new rule is outrageous. If girls aren't allowed to wear anything above the knees then boys can't wear shorts just above knee length either. The school is also diminishing girls and saying  that our appearance to boys is more important then out education by saying we can't wear certain clothes because it's "destracting" to boys. Girls should be allowed to wear a skirt or dress above their knees ...seriously, teach boys to not sexualise girls and maybe we wouldn't have this problem. Honestly, I think the boys are the problem not us.

CS

#30 This dress-code is sexist and unfair!

2015-04-16 00:51

The recent rule of changing the SMS dress code to knee length clothes is absolutely absurd. The dress code should be:

thumb tip length shorts, no belly.

That's that. Sending girls home because apparently a shoulder is so distracting to a boy is completely sexist and inaccurate. Boys should be able to keep their mind out of the gutter and I don't think the girls should be punished. There are people who buy clothes just for warm days in school who cannot wear said clothes because of this bogus dress code. There is no AC in the school so kids (including girls) will get uncomfortably warm during class in the hotter months of the school year. The kids who have to walk home and then arrive home sweating or panting should be considered; not to mention the kids who have to walk TO SCHOOL and end up sweating and panting. Swampscott Middle School is supposedly a safe environment for all children, but for those who have to walk home, or those who are prone to heatstrokes, or those who don't like getting made fun of for being sweaty, it's not too safe and happy go-lucky. 

2015-04-16 01:01

I signed this petition, because this dress code is more towards girls, sexist. To be clear the problem with this is not that there are guidelines for dress codes. We have guidelines for every but guidelines themselves aren't the problem. The problem is when these codes target girls specifically, and blames them for "distracting" boys. The dress code tells girls that they are not entitled to human decency and respect if her skin is showing. It also teaches boys that it is acceptable to disrespect girls and misbehave if they can see her skin. Yes I understand girls shouldn't wear short shorts to school but there's a sign of sexism and every girl can see it.
Anne anonymouse

2015-04-16 01:08

This new dress code is ridiculous ! We have the right as Americans to wear what ever we want we can't let people tell us what to wear, school is a place for learning not judging a girl and telling them their being inappropriate. Like really these teachers need to keep up with the fashion!! the last time I saw shorts that went down to my knees was third grade!!!  

2015-04-16 01:11

Fuck sms and all the staff there
AR

2015-04-16 01:12

#fucksms2015

2015-04-16 01:14

Hihihihi

#36 Re:

2015-04-16 01:26

#26: -  

u guys have 2 months of middle school left #enough deal with it , who actually listens to the dress code 

not mr murphy

#37 this rudulous new rule

2015-04-16 01:27

I have no clothes that follow this dress code! all shorts and skirts and dresses at stores go above the knee, there are barely any that go to the knee, and I'm not going to search for clothes at stores that I don't even want to wear! the warmer weather has came and I walk to school most days. I won't last very long in the heat with long shorts. I was upset about it being finger tips but I'm soo angry about this new rule. I don't want to wear the shorts. they aren't my style and I'm not spending money on shorts that I'm only wearing to school. I have a right to express myself fully with my clothing. its not like I'm about to wear a bikini to school but I'd like to be able to wear the shorts that I spent a large amount of money on for the finger length dress code that was last year! it's bad enough that he had to change it to this, but so soon without any warning! if he thinks he's "helping us learn" he's not. i don't know about you but when I'm dripping sweat in school because of the lack of air conditioning I'm pretty distracted. it's hard to pay attention if I'm constantly fanning myself. it's not healthy either! for being being hot for a long time gives me migraines and drys and cracks my skin! that might not happen to everyone but its still not pleasant. most boys shorts don't even go to the knee! they go like an inch above it! if I want to wear my shorts that go mid thigh, maybe 5 inches above my knee, I will! I'm not wasting my perfectly fine shorts because of a ridiculous dress code!

#38 Re:

2015-04-16 01:29

#27: -  

You go girl

2015-04-16 01:40

I signed this petition because the day before the announcement was made I bought shorts that were down to my finger tips and now I can't wear them because they are not to my knees!

#40 Vicky

2015-04-16 01:43

This rule is stupid.Who wants to wear  Jeans in the summer BC they don't have or dont  like looking like boys. And the teacher's rooms are so hot. We can't sit in classrooms that are to hot 

2015-04-16 01:44

Why are girls blamed for something they can't control? It's hot, we have no AC, and I don't want to have to wear PANTS in the summer. Because of all of the snow we're gonna be in school until almost July and I'm wearing shorts tomorrow because this is ridiculous

Swampscott Middle School student

2015-04-16 01:45

honestly girls should just ignore this new "dress code" because at this point it's not even a dress code it's more like telling young girls that they must dress according to how boys see us...sexism at it's finest! I say all girls wear appropriate skirts/dresses tomm!! we got this!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-04-16 01:47

#44 Re: this rudulous new rule

2015-04-16 01:52

#37: not mr murphy - this rudulous new rule 

This is the best thing Ive read all day

2015-04-16 01:57

because I want to wear booty shorts !!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-04-16 01:58

2015-04-16 01:59

SEXISM AT ITS FINEST- teaching boys it's a girls fault for being distracting while just wearing clothes. Boys need to correct their focus girls shouldn't change so boys can do that.

#48 Re:

2015-04-16 02:00

#42: -  

preach it!!

#49 Re: Re:

2015-04-16 02:02

#25: - Re:  

I don't like this dress code ppl should be allowed to wear what they want

2015-04-16 02:08

To make a change