Save Newmarket Stables, Durban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Newmarket Stables, Durban.

2015-07-23 07:34

Alot of people are going to loose there passion for the horse as they can't keep them here, never mind the people loosing their jobs and where will the horses go. That place is a landmark and an outing for families when they go there to the stables market. Very sad.
FEDUP

2015-07-23 07:41

Ratepayers have spent too much on stadiums and sports facilities and still have to pay the organisers of sports events to use the existing facilities instead of charging them  to assist with income and upkeep.

2015-07-23 07:44

We have been visiting the stables all of my life and continue to do so now with my daughter, who loves to attend the Pony Holiday Clubs and who I have promised to send to lessons at Newmarket Stables before the year ends. It would be heart-breaking to rob our children of being able to have a 'country' experience in the middle of what is now such a built up city. In a time that is so focused on technology and gadgets, Newmarket Stables offers an alternative for both children and adults - allowing us to experience and be part of nature and the joy that horses bring.

2015-07-23 07:52

I love horses and believe in keeping with all sports, not just soccer and rudby.....

2015-07-23 07:54

I learned to ride a horse there and leased many a horse. I used to catch the bus after school to get there. It is part of my childhood. It's central and easily accessible.

2015-07-23 07:57

I disagree with the proposal and think its appawling that Durban would consider converting the stables

2015-07-23 08:06

There are plenty places to have a soccer academy. Use Mabida stadium which is virtually a white elephant.

2015-07-23 08:24

I used to ride at the Newmarket stables in the 90's, and I am concerned that there will be a number of people losing their jobs. There is also the welfare concern of the horses that will have to be euthanased because of the closure of this property.

2015-07-23 08:35

The city has a responsibility to its citizens and its animals.

2015-07-23 08:37

Because the municipality is full of shit and cannot do this to people and animals

2015-07-23 08:45

Don't think a land mark must disappear in order for fat cats to scoop up corrupt money

2015-07-23 08:51

This institution belongs to the community, it is a gem and in the middle of the city they bring hope . It impowers so many, be it by teaching children(even the less fortunate!!) to ride this magnificient animal, the jobs created, giving our hard working SAPS horses a home, and from here they are close to the city to serve the city. This is a herritage site, and there are so few of these that are still being used today , for their original use. Being a horse owner , I know moving these horses from their home will be very stressful for them and they do get attached to their grooms and caretakers. Horses are not dogs, they need much care, and retired horses even more so. Horses touch the souls of so many and to not give them a home or to take their home away is a disgrace and utter disapointment in mankind.

2015-07-23 08:56

what you want to do is just NOT right... i'm a 'goldie oldie' now but i remember since i was a little child, those horses and stables always being there giving so much joy to all.... my daughter and granddaughters have always dream of going for their 1st horse lessons there.... its part of our heritage and a draw card for tourism.... please please, don't close that awesome place just for another soccer club - whats wrong with them using the athletic stadium.....which is almost always empty anyway.....

2015-07-23 09:03

Because the stables should remain as part of the sporting community, they are used by many people, not only the elite.

2015-07-23 09:10

The horses and the people who are looking after them including the children and adults, some of who are disabled have a basic human right of dignity and freedom of expression not to have their lives disrupted and with their horses thrown out, This is entrenched in the Constitution of South Africa. There are also enough Soccer, Rugby, and Moses Mabida stadia in the vicinity but absolutely no Horse Riding clubs where one can simply relax and have a picnic in safety anytime. This cannot be allowed simply cannot be allowed because someone rich seems to have bought a soccer club and wants a place for them to train

2015-07-23 09:17

Why have they been given notice to move? Another politician wanting the property for their pocket? Disgusting

2015-07-23 09:32

Because the stables have been an important part of my family growing up, and are important to Durban. The stables have been there for 100 years and the only stable in the city. There are plenty of other places to put soccer training camps. Methinks a lot of bribe money is being paid to suddenly evict the stables.

2015-07-23 10:17

This is an iconic landmark. People will be unemployed which result in an already swollen rate.

2015-07-23 10:20

This place is historical - horses and horse sport need a home, and soccer (and other sports) have homes already. This is a unique place in a town that wipes history out so easily, for money.

2015-07-23 10:32

It is truly disgusting that only 1 months notice is given to vacate a city landmark which is home to horses (some of which will be put down cause they cannot be re-homed) DISGUSTING, horse riding as a sport, the poor workers who will have no jobs, not to mention that the entrepreneurial spirit is being undermined and crushed by putting crafters out of business !!!!!

2015-07-23 10:59

I believe they are a known fixture in Durban and as they have been there for so long they should have the right of staying

2015-07-23 11:35

Why can they use the moses mabhida stadium which is standing doing nothing since world cup. If they need you to move they must relocate you ans build stables and arenas for you else where

2015-07-23 11:40

I love horses Grew up at local stables and know what horses mean to people

2015-07-23 11:53

Please dont close these stables down, these horses will be homeless and so many people will be without jobs.

2015-07-23 11:54

I don't want to watch the municipality kill innocent animals