Save Newmarket Stables, Durban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Newmarket Stables, Durban.

2015-07-23 20:06

My late grandfather - kept his racing horse at the Stables many years ago . Would be very sad to see it go - many people will lose jobs and where are the horses going to go. Please save Newmarket Stables.

2015-07-23 20:08

To show my support as a fellow horse owner whose 10 year old son rides and absolutely loves his horse. He has the most amazing groomsman that is always working with a smile on his face. ..I feel for the people and the beautiful horses

2015-07-23 20:11

My children have ridden at Newmarket have ridden for KZN in national riding competitions.the buildings are a heritage site .

2015-07-23 20:29

Pse do not take this chance of a lifetime for young riders be taken away from them this is an opportunity for them and the horses that are stabled there to be used to its fullest.

2015-07-23 21:03

that is a historic landmark & horse are a very important part of the life of many people
There have been many soccer stadiums build with 2010 & there are other venues that can be used to build another 1. You don't have to brake to build You can build without braking!
:)

2015-07-23 21:25

You cannot simply put a horse in a storage unit, they not furniture. Although.. We can store soccer balls #JustPuttingItOutThere 

2015-07-23 23:24

Duran is unique, we have these wonderful old stables, close to the city,where children cam learn to ride, it's also a sport, don't take this away from us. I did my first duty for St John's ambulance there over 49 years ago!

2015-07-23 23:51

I believe Durban has too many stadiums as it is.

Why build another stadium when we have too many already.

Surely the projected maintenance costs of the Moses Mabhida stadium dictate that as much revenue has to be generated at the stadium as possible to make financial sense?

The life span of the massive canvas roof should be taken into account and the replacement budgeted for because that will make a big dent in the kitty.

Now demolishing a historically relevant and beautiful cultural area like the Stables to build another stadium which can't pay for itself is ridiculous and a waste of money.

Why not use the Moses Mabhida stadium instead and help reduce the financial impact of it's projected up keep.

But as always this will turn out so be some blatant back hand tender corruption blunder with no foresight, where money gets misappropriated, workers go on extended strikes and the project goes 3 times overbudget as the norm.

After all that the city would have lost one of it's special places forever.

I'm really sad this is happening. Once it's gone it's gone.

2015-07-24 00:25

Horses are great therapy for many people. Keep the kids learning new skills, build their confidence and keep them off the street. All the horses need a home including the older ones who can't be moved. All the best

2015-07-24 04:34

I grew up in Durban and Newmarket is the only riding stables in the vicinity of Durban where one is able to interact with horses. How sad this will be denied to the younger generation.
I hope and pray the stables gets to stay,

2015-07-24 05:18

because this is a disgrace, we do not need another soccer stadium, we already have one there, look elsewhere where it is really needed to situate it. we need the stables

2015-07-24 05:44

It is a wonderful facility in the heart of Durban and offers so much value to thousands of people. Don't want to see it destroyed and replaced by a concrete jungle.

2015-07-24 05:58

We built three brand new stadiums for the SWC. All are underutilised. The stables provides employment and is a much loved community resource. This doesn't make any sense.

2015-07-24 06:04

I believe that Newmarket Stables has been doing so much good not only for the resident of Durban and surroundings,but for South Africa.It has benefited all South Africans from all walks of life.And there are sufficient run down,abandoned and unused facilities,closer to residential areas that can be rebuilt and put into use,without having to destroy a Durban legacy ,landmark and a heritage..

2015-07-24 06:06

The Newmarket Stables has been there for many many years and has given not only joy to many but also Therapy to many children and adults who are challenged. This Therapy has seen many changes especially in children and has given them a new lease in life. PLEASE PLEASE SAVE THE NEW MARKET STABLES. I am sure there are other sites Ethekweni can use.

2015-07-24 07:16

its shocking that the municipality want to close this market. Its one of the safest around and such a wide variety. A good day out and such a landmark

2015-07-24 07:43

Avid horse enthusiast. Currently involved in horseracing and it's embedded into many generations of my family

2015-07-24 07:45

This is ludicrous! The stables are a beautiful part of Durban!
I'm sure they can make a training academy by the new stadium!!!

2015-07-24 07:53

Why do you people always have to destroy what is good. Surprise me (MONEY). The Newmarket Stables work and make people and children happy as well as the animals.
Leave it alone and find other premises for your soccer academy.

2015-07-24 09:17

To save a legacy!

2015-07-24 09:17

Because the stables are needed. I understand that they want to use the land for a soccer school when the huge soccer stadium down the road is practically unused! What a disgrace!

2015-07-24 09:18

It is such a shame that so many people and children must lose out because of this governments' greed.

2015-07-24 09:20

This is the only place in Durban where people can learn to horse ride, and is home to many horses that are owned by people who live in the Durban area.

2015-07-24 09:52

Im shocked, theres 100s of soccar fields in Durban why dont they use those

2015-07-24 10:27

I was born in Pietermaritzburg and had horses in my life from before birth until I had to sell my last one in 2001 as I had to come up to JHB to have a second knee replacement.I know how much I miss having horses in my life as it is too expensive up here and I think it is a wonderful sport for all kids as it is outdoors, it teaches socialization, it helps balance and muscle development, a horse gives one a sense of freedom. This place is so well situated and it is a part of history that should be preserved as we have lost so much for other sports and other political issues.