Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus.

2014-06-18 03:57

We took photos of all the alcohol liquor outlets in Mangere as part of our submission and presented this to the Govt Alcohol liquor advisory committee back in 1997 as a Pacific sexual health provider and to my dismay this still is going on

2014-06-18 04:15

far too many liqour outlets -
I am not a racist but maybe time to look at the ethnic community who owned this liqour outlets.

2014-06-18 04:52

Thank you for taking a stand against the liquor market!

2014-06-18 04:52

Availability by proximity can prompt the young ones to give alcohol a try. Please do not kill our nation by such acts which are not considerate of the welfare of our children.
Peter Parussini, Chairperson, Board of Trustees, Southern Cross Campus

#130 No to liquor store

2014-06-18 04:58

The school is immensely grateful to Duncan and the petition signatories for their support against the proposed liquor store outside our main gate. The school will be lodging an appeal against the decision and the more signatures we have to present with our documents the better. I wasn't at the original hearing but I'm told that committee members said they thought the local community didn't care about this issue because they hadn't made submissions. They ignored the fact that the Local Otahuhu-Mangere Board is democratically elected and the school represents more than 1500 pupils and families. Thanks for all your efforts everyone.
RS xSaiyaNx

2014-06-18 06:04

We really need to get off he licensing authorities back, they have guidelines to follow and i guess if an application passes then we as a community have to hold that! What i mean is we cant use kids as an excuse. Everybody needs to take a chill pill. There's is nothing wrong with alcohol. It's the certain consumers that we must be weary of. You don't want your kids to be subjected to a liquor store? Well if he/she even thinks of going into one before the time is right whoop his/her's ass. It's easy to point he finger at the drink but we fail to see that it is the consumer. Liquor store owners trying to make a living like the rest of us. Can't hate on that.

Check yourself Mangere!!!

2014-06-18 06:25

NO WAY. I can't believe the Auckland District Licensing Committee even considerate in the first place. What ever happen to our children are the future of this country? Is this the way we want our children to live?
As a community we are suppose to provide a safe and happy environment for our children and people around us.
This is a BAD IDEA.

having a liquor store next to a school and church in an area surrounded by families and thier love ones. BIG NO NO....

maybe the owner should look else where to have this business.

#133 Re: No to liquor store

2014-06-18 07:13

#134 Re:

2014-06-18 07:31

#131: RS xSaiyaNx -

Actually I disagree. Although I understand what you are trying to say, I think there us a larger context to look at. This idea of responsibility  is a pervading neo-liberal thought that places responsibility soley on individuals and there are larger social determinants at play which  low decile areas and families are subjected to. It is a very economical decision when it comes to setting up liquor stores. This is only an 'off license" premise. ( eg supermarkets, dairies and liquor stores). It does not include the on license premises like bars, restaurants, nightclubs, pubs and sports clubs that also sell alcohol, so when we look at the density and availability of alcohol in South Auckland we can see how access is vastly different to many other regions in the city.

This is not a good decision by people who are in positions of power that have ethical responsibilities to consider when giving licenses. Recommendations were made by a public health doctor, a public health unit and also a licensing inspector, not to extend this license because of the close proximity to the school, along with objections from the local board, community and school itself. These people are experts in their fields and also in their communities.  For their recommendations to be ignored, means the decision to grant the extended license is very questionable. It is not acceptable to assume the community does not care and to then go ahead and make the decision, when half the community was not aware of the process and the ability to make a submission. This process needs to be more out in the open - meaning the community actually has to really know about it, not some small add at the back of the Manukau Courier. And there needs to be a limit on the number of places that alcohol can be purchased. Violence and crime are linked to alcohol. Society does not want violence and crime, but so easily hands over the tools that help cultivate it. It must stop and South Auckland must have a voice in the process of the decision to feed the community these tools. We are allowed to say no. Because every other place in New Zealand has that right and exercises that right. Our kids, our future, our neighborhood. All the best.

2014-06-18 08:05

Stop destroying our children's future by bringing these alcohol shops near their schools. It is irresponsible!

2014-06-18 08:17

Why would you want to put more temptation for the children to battle with ... and then our communnity have to deal with the consequences of alcohol ... family violence, alcoholism amongst our tamariki...these and more, so some shopkeeper can make a profit...NO NO NO Prevention is better than a cure!

2014-06-18 08:22

I am sure you wouldn't be approving this opposite a Remuera school?

2014-06-18 09:02

no way this is really stupid for the council to approve this liquor store opposite the school where our lovely whanau attend. I oppose the approval of this store. STOP and REMOVE IT

2014-06-18 13:29

100% support for this petition.

2014-06-18 13:32

Build something more positive for the community! You would've thought with recommendations were made by a public health doctor, a public health unit and also a licensing inspector, not to extend this license because of the close proximity to the school, along with objections from the local board, community and school itself this would've denied. I've lived next door to this block of shops all my life maybe these Council members ought to rent out our sleepout for a month and have look and listen to what goes on.

DISAPPOINTED.

2014-06-18 18:30

For goodness sake what happened to common sense:-(

2014-06-18 20:39

Very annoying when we live in communities where we are here fighting to lift family, friends and our neighborhoods from problems caused by alcohol, and show our youth there's a better way than what we already go through. But these people keep bringing our communities back down. I say barber shop enough said.

2014-06-18 20:55

Disgrace to our Community especially with our tamariki school right opposite. Say No, to any alcohol and gambling venues opening in this area and the wider communities.

2014-06-18 21:08

Poor SX school already got dairy/takeaway right outside the gates so kids have ready access to junk food and fizzy - now alcohol! What happened to good old common sense where kids are concerned?

2014-06-18 21:08

When are our planners and administers going to take some responsibility for the well-being of our children and communities - over and above the interests of business? Come on team - sharpen up!

2014-06-18 22:16

Stupid idea. Think about the kids.

2014-06-18 22:18

I say No to liqour store across the road from Southern Cross Csmpus Its just so stupid to even have one there ive attend that school since form one , its been in our Gene my brothers attended that skool so after how many years they decide they wana put ond there think of all the littld kids , hanging aroud there , Adults should be role models , Say No !!

2014-06-18 22:33

What is council thinking by allowing liquor stores to be placed next to schools as if we don't have enough social issues to deal with already. Dumb plain outright dumb....

2014-06-18 22:49

we need less of these barns not les.[

2014-06-18 23:12

Am absolutely against it. There should be a reduction in availability of alcohol, particularly where young vulnerable people are in the vicinity. What do we want to teach them? That drinking is OK!!!