Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus.

2014-06-19 00:53

Why is it that we have to petitioned these matters every time, where is the social responsibility and social conciseness of the licensee or is this evidence again of profit at all costs

2014-06-19 01:03

It's a bad idea to have liquor available so close to schools.

2014-06-19 01:08

How about a sushi eatery or a select-a-sandwich bar as opposed to a liquor store?

2014-06-19 01:31

Another liqour store in mangere no good!!!! There is enough bullshit happning here due to alcohol related crimes there is no need for another store!

2014-06-19 02:06

No liquor store should be opened near a school or in a family housing area as they should only be opened in a shopping centre. There is one on Churchill Road, Manurewa near the Manurewa South School and we have had nothing but trouble since it opened and it is amazing that no one has been injured so far.

2014-06-19 03:33

I support this petition and say it should not go ahead, especially when its so close to a school.

2014-06-19 05:43

It is important that we stop our young generations from being exposed to the presence of alcohol. Having a liquor store across from a secondary school only attracts trouble. Being a current senior student of Southern Cross Campus I am already aware of the consequences alcohol has on my peers. Adding a store within close proximities to our school only fuels the problems that alcohol already causes. Our community as it is, already have problems with the influence of alcohol, having a store with only a couple of metres from our school lure in many more problems, such as underage drinking, drink driving, violence and sexual related crimes. As harsh as it may sound its reality. I need your support to help get the selling of alcohol stopped. Our school and community has come along way this will only set us back as we prepare students to strive for a better life, whether it be through education, trades or sports. If our kids are the future, why have the council approved the allocation of a liquor store close to a school? Are they trying to set up our next generation for failure? I only want whats best for our students, the fact that Southern Cross Campus consists of a kindergarten, primary, intermediate, and high school is one main reason why the selling of liquor needs to be stopped. Majority of kids are below the legal age, their exposure to alcohol needs to be prevented!!! Our nation is known to have a huge problem with alcohol, many lives have been lost due to it. Being a student from a school aiming for a better future, we do not want to be just an addition to some statistics that does not reflect on what we are really about.

2014-06-19 07:00

The peoples appointed council needs to seriously take into consideration their appointment of licensing of such stores! Our children already have so much vying for their attention and you want to place a store that sells a product that ruins health, is additive, destroys families via domestic abuse outside their gate...thereby allowing them to find the store front an acceptable part of their daily lives?!!! Shame on you!!!

#159 Re:

2014-06-19 08:14

#157: -

Well said. Good on you. We are behind you 100%.

2014-06-19 09:31

Drunks do not reason as normal people do (they loose their inhibitions) so to have them close to children is dangerous.
Concerned resident

2014-06-19 09:35

It is stupid to have a liquor store across an ECE, Primary School and a College let alone a Church. What are these people thinking? Hello?? There's enough liquor outlets 2 minutes down the road at the Mangere Town Centre including Countdown, PaknSave and the surrounding area. Why are we encouraging our community let alone our children to drink? I totally support this petition to STOP the liquor store - I oppose having the liquor store there where a lot of those secondary children hang around the dairy and bakery.  If there is room there for a shop, it should be a book store or a library to help the children study and read.

2014-06-19 09:45

We believe that alcohol should be treated in the same way as tobacco. People who smoke can only do so in certain places now and really only do harm to themselves whereas alcohol can cause pain and sometimes death to other innocent victims.
Sarah

#163 Want to spark change? Make a submission

2014-06-19 10:02

SOMETHING MORE EFFECTIVE WOULD BE TO MAKE A SHORT SUBMISSION HERE: http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/alcohol/alcoholpolicies/Pages/draftlap2014feedbackform.aspx

The government is legally obliged to read through all of them
Sonja

#164 You've signed the petition! NOW MAke a submission!!

2014-06-19 10:02

2014-06-19 10:43

Does Council have a conscience? This isn't right.

2014-06-19 21:04

No to alchohol!

2014-06-19 21:36

I know through family experience what alcohol does to ruin family lives. What I have gone through, no other family should go through

2014-06-19 21:45

The flood of Liquor shops within our communities is a skurg I am not opposed to Liquor sales and distribution however there is a culture of alcoholic abuse among young males and increasingly we are witnessing the skurg that has resulted in increasing numbers of liquor outlets which by their very existence promotes a social disconnect within our communities and the Liquor Industry and its associated activities have demonstrated total disregard for the affect of these cheap booze outlets located on our street retail locations

2014-06-19 21:50

Not smart Auckland, not smart at all.

2014-06-19 22:16

what the hell are they thinking of all involved, our future generation should not be influenced by this stupid decision.....

2014-06-19 23:14

The Auckland City Council need to think twice about 285,0000 New Zealanders children/families and communities already in poverty due to their wrong decision making and long history of broken promises. They need to put their promises/money in to the right direction and stop making profit out of the high risk area such as building another liquor store next to where our children are. The future of this country rely heavily on the health and well being of families/communities and especially our children,we have more than enough poverty to deal with than creating high risk environment and behaviors particularly where the high risk population are congregated. To build a liqor store next to the school is bad enough right next to the low deciles school. We have Early Childhood Education, Primary School and Secondary School, all next to this liqor store is this what exactly you are target for...Please, please, please as a parent and from a team of health professions, We have seen the struggle, the pain as a result of your bad, unfair decision making. We stand as a team of Public Health Nurses and health promoters to  take your liquor store to the city, far away from our children, here in Mangere. The city council authorities need to keep their promises to the communities by raising a healthy and vibrant communities/population rather than making bad profit out of the their wrong decision making. We  endorsed this petition very strongly. ALiki(Public Health Nurse)

2014-06-19 23:35

I say 'no' because too many NZ'ers over indulge in alcohol, causing violence, grief and damage to themselves and all who they are connected to such as whanau, friends etc. To open another liquor store, especially next to a school is absolutely ridiculous morally and ethically wrong, wrong, wrong. What message is this teaching our children and generations to come? We don't need to add more fuel to an already raging fire. We need to start putting the fire out. Start role modelling better values and ethics to our children...without alcohol

2014-06-20 00:08

I stand with the community to have this liqiour store closed. Too many of our children are being hurt from alcohol abuse.

2014-06-20 00:53

The last thing South Auckland needs is more liquor stores

2014-06-20 00:53

Liquor store so close to a school full of young teenagers? That's ridiculous. There are already a lot of liquor stores, we don't need another especially near a high school and in a neighbour hood that didn't want the store there in the first place.