Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus.

2014-06-17 03:37

Not much word from the Communist Government Trough feeding Willie Jackson on this issue. He feeds off the poor also of course, so no surprise I guess.

2014-06-17 03:57

As a country we need to make the effort to teach society that having a drink socially is ok but when that drinking is effecting your life and thoes you love then there is a problem! Its time to step up grow up and take charge of our lives. This petition is a great way for us all to have a say we have enough of these booze outlets around the place now and we certainly dont need anymore!

2014-06-17 04:00

shame on the mickeymouse council allowing this to happen - who is in charge of granting the permits to the people who want to run liquor stores.

2014-06-17 04:01

I grew up in there. Those were my local shops. I can't believe they have been granted a license to sell Liquor!! That wont be good for the community at all!! Disgusted.

2014-06-17 04:12

Jst DUMB!
Mangere Boy

2014-06-17 04:58

Well it sounds like the liqour shop will go ahead and maybe the community have no power to overturn the decision made. However, we can showcase our concerns TO THE INDIAN OWNER by NOT BUYING FROM THIS DAIRY ANYMORE.

2014-06-17 04:59

Just what South Auckland needs another Liquor shop to go with all the fast food shops here. Promoting drunks and obesity! Awesome Auckland City!!!

2014-06-17 05:02

Its ridiculous and how can they ignore the voice of the community?

2014-06-17 05:15

Stand up and fight! Our school pupils do not deserve to be exposed to something like this!

2014-06-17 05:20

Same problem here in Wellington and regardless of neo liberal economics, there needs to be a value judgement here. Profits over kids, I don't think so! Have we learned nothing since lowering the drinking age and introducing alcopop drinks

2014-06-17 05:28

for the councillors to give the green lights to this liquor outlet got no MORAL values or parental responsibilities to the children of the community. Money blinds those supposedly intelligent councillors...

2014-06-17 05:28

Ridiculous.

2014-06-17 05:39

Hi Duncan

Good on you for arranging this ban multiple alcohol shops petition. Less availability => less consumption, especially amongst our young. If this didn't happen setting up extra shops and their associated costs without a significant return on investment would be uneconomic and no business wishing to stay in business would entertain this.

Unfortunately trying to ban alcohol per se won't work as it's too easy to make. All that's needed is a bucket of water, sugar and yeast or a source of yeast e.g. bread.

Education on the health and social dangers of alcohol might help to a small extent but this needs to target boozing parents as well as drunk kids!

Removing alcohol advertising from sports will also reduce its "glamor" as well as diminishing visual appeal of its products. To illustrate recall the furor the tobacco industry responded to plain packaging - again they research well that attractive packages sell more product why otherwise waste money on the advertising? Obviously the more attractive and trendy a product the greater the sales are likely to be.

There is no "silver bullet" and no magic single solution. A number of mutually supportive measures will be needed. Alcohol has been with us since day one and can be a curse or a joy. From one psychology study I read on alcoholism in rats, 1 in 5 develop this measured by the death of these rodents! The researchers mentioned at the end that similar proportions exist in humans (though few will ever admit to it; however alcohol dependency is objective measurable from withdrawal symptoms such as "DT" tremors followed by seizures, hot and cold sweats, insomnia etc when it is removed).

Excellent initiative!

Ian

2014-06-17 05:55

Auckland Council are just money grabbing bureaucrats who just rubber stamp these off license applications @ $600-$800 say no more
Kid President

#65 Thats South Auckland....It not us its the government

2014-06-17 06:16

We could'nt afford anything close to healthy. We were deprived of our jobs and ever since we bought the cheap things, and now the most delicous according to our pockets! If the government gave us more funding and more investment in education in South Auckland,we would be more succesful and this isn't just steorotypes, its the damn truth man. I hope you can finally notice that it isn't us, its the government.

#66 Re: Thats South Auckland....It not us its the government

2014-06-17 06:28

#65: Kid President - Thats South Auckland....It not us its the government

This is true, man

Good job understanding our problem.

2014-06-17 06:51

what a bad example to set. also talk about going backwards. what about drunks? so many things to worry about i.e wandering into the school, flashing the children, assaulting them. peer pressure into buying alcohol. Idiots sitting outside offering alcohol to minors. After reading this petition, i wont be sending my children to this school if this booze shop opens up. So dissappointed. where's the common sense in people gone these days. there are too many alcohol shops as it is. NZ has major problem with alcohol and allowing this shop to open is saying its OK when it SO is NOT!!! And saying young people have a problem with alcohol i wonder why that is...like duh. schools and booze dont mix,they create a huge disaster that have ever lasting side effects that end up affecting generation after generation...and not to forget the POVERTY that comes from the shop being there. So much for a "good education" .

2014-06-17 07:09

There are enough alcohol stores in South Auckland and to establish one right outside a school defeats the purpose of a moral education.

2014-06-17 07:11

My nephews and nieces go to this school so im against having a liquor shop next to it or any school for that fact!

2014-06-17 07:23

I am with you on this Duncan keep up the good work and get this outlet clossed

2014-06-17 07:29

Totally opposed to a liquor store / outlet opening next to Southern Cross Campus.

2014-06-17 08:10

WE SAY NO!
DONT BE STUPID!
WE DO NOT WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMN LIQUOR STORE OUTSIDE OUR KIDS SCHOOL! NONONO
OUR CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE!
UPLIFT THEM, DONT BRING THEM DOWN!

#73 If protest and appeals don't work

2014-06-17 08:16

Collectively people can be quite powerful in these situations. If the appeal doesn't work, or protest doesn't work, remember that every single product from the stores, both the dairy and the liquor store can be bought elsewhere. Without the people - there is no business.

2014-06-17 09:08

my grandchildren go to Southern Cross.. What kind of message are we sending our young kids....

#75 Re: Thats South Auckland....It not us its the government

2014-06-17 09:25

#65: Kid President - Thats South Auckland....It not us its the government

Hey kid President, honestly, the reason why we having all these issues is people like you. We were all given two hands, two legs, two ears, one heart, etc...... and one brain...but in your case maybe quater of a brain .... if any at all. Sick of excuses and it is about time we get off our buds and do something for ourselfs, community, church, government and most importantly our children.... our future.